Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

134 posts, read 167,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
That's all very well but there is nothing actually in San Fransico itself is there? No decent pubs, no world class museums, no world class restaurants, no decent nightclubs, no sport, hell even Bradford has a football team in the English 2nd division, London has 14 (yes fourteen) professional football clubs six of which are in the Premier league!! (well until Fulham went down anyway), as far as Im aware there is no team from San fransisco in the Premier league. What do people do there for lesuire? Hang around on Facebook wishing they lived somewhere were they could live a 'real' life? I bet there isn't one thing in San Fransisco I could have/do that I couldn't have/do in London only better!
There are a TON of pubs in the bay area...there are even some very upscale ones trust me, I visit very often for family.
There are currently THREE WORLD CLASS MUSEUMS...you need to research
-SF museum of modern art
-Asian art museum
-California Palace of Legion of Honor

No decent nightclubs? Your kidding
I'm guessing you never been to SF, there are a ton of upscale clubs, a ton of gay clubs, if you gay your in heaven here

World Class Restaurants
Now i just think your just saying anything...
The French Laundry in the bay area was named the best restaurant in the world TWICE

Sports
The 49rs football team(not soccer) won the supper bowl in the past year
SEVEN sport teams in the bay area

For Leisure, there are a ton of things to do, at least in California we don't have boring museums
Lets see...
Chinatown
Golden Gate Park
Beach
Fishermans Wraf
At&T park
Twin Peaks
Tons of National Forests such as worlds largest trees
California Great America
Six Flags
Gilroy Gardens
SF aquarium
The mountains to the east
Tons of clubs, bars...

DEFINE A REAL LIFE?
Sitting in your house starring at the rain in London?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
London has the West End what does San Fransisco have to match it? London has FAR more Michelin starred restaurants than San Fransisco, London pubs are world famous, is there anything like the British Museum in San Fransisco? London has several world class museums (and all of them free) London has world famous parks and 2000 years of history which gives it proper tourist attractions like The Tower of London (more than 'a bridge'), London attracts more tourists than any other city on the planet, it has world famous night clubs, music venues and sports venues, Wimbledon, Wembley, Lords. London has world famous beautiful cathedrals and churches, St Paul's, Westminster Abbey, it has a transport system San Fransisco could only dream about, London is the financial capital of the world and it is on the doorstep of Europe, London is home to the world biggest carnival outside Brazil (Notting Hill Carnival), London is the worlds most diverse city, with more than 200 languages spoken, I could go on and on if it wasn't nearly midnight here, I'm sorry but compare New York, Rome, Paris, LA, Tokyo or Sydney to London yes but San Fransisco! lol
London is MUCH bigger than SF, no doubt, if we compare per capita its a different story...
SF does not dream of London's transportation, where do you even get such a idea, SF transportation is very good for its size, effective, can get you anywhere you need to get, and London is NOT the most diverse city, if anything its NYC, maybe in terms of languages but when it comes to race NYC is much more diverse, in NYC you got neighborhoods only black, Hispanic, Asian, Arabic and even Russian in London its mainly white with many arabs and blacks scattered here and there, hispanics and east asians are much less than NYC. Even SF is more diverse than London. Here are the stats for SF diversity
41% White
33% Asian
15% Hispanic
5% Black
In Oakland across the bay its literally 25% every race, you cant get more diverse than that

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,383,218 times
London easily, nothing against the Bay Area but SF is not my favorite city in the Bay Area... the Silicon Valley is much nicer.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Apparently Braford a city less than 300,000 wins against a city of 5 million, 7million if you include surrounding areas.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
just tell me what there is in San Fransisco that isn't in London?
As a place to live, San Francisco walks all over London without any effort whatsoever, actually.

Quote:
London has the West End what does San Fransisco have to match it?
I don't know, ask the tourists who consistently rank San Francisco ABOVE London.

San Francisco 87.76
London 85.43
2013 World's Best Cities | Travel + Leisure

Quote:
London has FAR more Michelin starred restaurants than San Fransisco
And yet San Francisco actually has it's own Michelin Guide. London does NOT but the entire UK is combined into one edition. LOL

Furthermore, there is a lot of image involved with London eateries--it's not really that good imo.

San Francisco beats London at dining in all budget levels. In London you only eat well if your rich or a poser, in SF the food is superb at high end restaurants all the way down to food carts. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Furthermore dear, this is the United States which is basically a continent by itself-we have numerous other rankings that are just as prestigious domestically. For example the James Beard Awards are considered THE authority of fine dining in the US.

Coincidentally, they recently awarded their award for outstanding restaurant in the US:
Quote:
Outstanding Restaurant
A restaurant in the United States that serves as a national
standard-bearer for consistent quality and excellence in
food, atmosphere, and service.Candidates must have been
in operation for at least 10 or more consecutive years.

Winner: The Slanted Door, San Francisco
https://www.jamesbeard.org/sites/def...ERS_LIST_0.pdf
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Quote:
London pubs are world famous
Well that's nice, but no one cares.

Quote:
London is home to the world biggest carnival outside Brazil (Notting Hill Carnival)
Well since I concurrently live in Brazil and the Bay Area, let me assure you that NOTHING in London compares to Rio or Salvador--Im embarrassed to read this part of your comment.

Quote:
London is the worlds most diverse city
No, not really. The London Area is more than 60% White.

The Bay Area is more diverse and more diverse over a MUCH wider area than London. We have no racial majority and immigrants and their US-born children constitute 60% of the region's 8.4 million residents.

Places like London brag about 'diversity' as if we people of color are some zoo exhibit that exist to makes Whites feel more cosmopolitan. In the Bay Area minorities actually run shyte.

Call me when you get to that level, in the meantime have a seat.

Quote:
I could go on and on
No, you really can't.

Quote:
if it wasn't nearly midnight here, I'm sorry but compare New York, Rome, Paris, LA, Tokyo or Sydney to London yes but San Fransisco! lol
Honestly, the only city in that entire list that could even come close to comparing to SF as far as being the total package is Sydney.

1. INCREDIBLE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES
2. WORLD CLASS CULTURAL, RECREATIONAL, DINING and SHOPPING AMENITIES
3. TRULY COSMOPOLITAN AND SOPHISTICATED POPULACE
3. SUPERB CLIMATE & BEAUTIFUL NATURAL SETTING

Of your little list, only Sydney is in San Francisco's league as far as meeting ALL of the criteria I just listed 1-4. The others including London all lack something.

One doesn't realize how much climate and natural setting actually matters until they experience it.

In that sense, I sort of feel sorry for London, you'll NEVER meet my impossible criteria. Sorry, my standards are too high.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 AM

"London is the world's most diverse city"

San Francisco Bay Area
Total Population: 8,370,967
White Population: 3,471,279 41.4%
Visible Minority Population: 4,899,688 58.5%

Greater London
Total Population: 8,200,000
White Population: 4,900,000 59.7%
Visible Minority Population: 3,300,000 40.2%

London Key Facts and Statistics

Yeah, I think NOT.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,885,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
There are a TON of pubs in the bay area...there are even some very upscale ones trust me, I visit very often for family.
There are currently THREE WORLD CLASS MUSEUMS...you need to research
-SF museum of modern art
-Asian art museum
-California Palace of Legion of Honor

No decent nightclubs? Your kidding
I'm guessing you never been to SF, there are a ton of upscale clubs, a ton of gay clubs, if you gay your in heaven here

World Class Restaurants
Now i just think your just saying anything...
The French Laundry in the bay area was named the best restaurant in the world TWICE

Sports
The 49rs football team(not soccer) won the supper bowl in the past year
SEVEN sport teams in the bay area

For Leisure, there are a ton of things to do, at least in California we don't have boring museums
Lets see...
Chinatown
Golden Gate Park
Beach
Fishermans Wraf
At&T park
Twin Peaks
Tons of National Forests such as worlds largest trees
California Great America
Six Flags
Gilroy Gardens
SF aquarium
The mountains to the east
Tons of clubs, bars...

DEFINE A REAL LIFE?
Sitting in your house starring at the rain in London?
Three world class museums, is that all! ?lol, Chinatown! look every city has a Chinatown! As for sports! Nobody in the world apart from Americans does American sports! Nobody is going to go to San Fransisco for the 'dolphins' or the 'bears' baseball team! (Incidently London has 14 football teams alone not to mention any of the other sport teams it has), and what the hell is all that stuff listed at the end? Aquariam! Forests! lol And as for 'gay' clubs tell me exactly what 'gay' clubs there are there that you can't get in London? I'm sorry but my list showed things unique to London, your list is just a list of things you get in any city in the world, bars, trees, nightclubs etc, what's next? In San Fransisco we have cars and buses! lol

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Off topic for thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 AM

358 posts, read 678,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't know, ask the tourists who consistently rank San Francisco ABOVE London.

San Francisco 87.76
London 85.43
I like how you are puting so much emphasis on one particular travel survey. San Francisco is not even in the top 10, and the difference between London and San Francisco is less than 3 points.

To give you some perspective, number of overnight international visitors in 2013:
London: 15,96 million
San Francisco: 3 million

Trip advisor's 2014 Travel's Choice:
3. London
25. San Francisco

Not really close comparsion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Honestly, the only city in that entire list that could even come close to comparing to SF as far as being the total package is Sydney.

1. INCREDIBLE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES
2. WORLD CLASS CULTURAL, RECREATIONAL, DINING and SHOPPING AMENITIES
3. TRULY COSMOPOLITAN AND SOPHISTICATED POPULACE
3. SUPERB CLIMATE & BEAUTIFUL NATURAL SETTING

Of your little list, only Sydney is in San Francisco's league as far as meeting ALL of the criteria I just listed 1-4. The others including London all lack something.
Both Sydney and San Francisco are probably in the same league, but not in the same league with the likes of London or New York lol. You have been to these cities right? It's rather obvious.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 AM

358 posts, read 678,539 times
Quote:
Three world class museums, is that all! ?lol, Chinatown! look every city has a Chinatown! As for sports! Nobody in the world apart from Americans does American sports! Nobody is going to go to San Fransisco for the 'dolphins' or the 'bears' baseball team! (Incidently London has 14 football teams alone not to mention any of the other sport teams it has), and what the hell is all that stuff listed at the end? Aquariam! Forests! lol And as for 'gay' clubs tell me exactly what 'gay' clubs there are there that you can't get in London? I'm sorry but my list showed things unique to London, your list is just a list of things you get in any city in the world, bars, trees, nightclubs etc, what's next? In San Fransisco we have cars and buses! lol
The ones listed are hardly the quality of the British Museum, or Tate for that matter. And I agree there are other sports outside of American Football, Baseball and Ice Hockey.

I guess San Fracnisco has a museum like quality to the city. Everything is so precious, wheras London look more like a functioning metropolian city.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I like how you are puting so much emphasis on one particular travel survey. San Francisco is not even in the top 10, and the difference between London and San Francisco is less than 3 points.
Right, but sugar, based on the post I was responding to, San Francisco is supposed to be beneath London-BUT ITS NOT.

THAT. Is the point.

Quote:
To give you some perspective, number of overnight international visitors in 2013:
London: 15,96 million
San Francisco: 3 million
This doesn't mean that London is a BETTER experience, just more visited. Furthermore, you cant compare tiny European countries who visit each other to the United States which is 3,000 miles wide. We get visitors from 1,000-2,000-3,000 miles they are still domestic-Apples and Oranges.

Also, based on this flawed logic, Disneyworld is therefore a better than London as well.

Quote:
Not really close comparsion.
Actually your right. In truth, San Francisco is really significantly better for visiting, living in, working in, playing in etc.

Quote:
Both Sydney and San Francisco are probably in the same league, but not in the same league with the likes of London or New York lol.
Your right. When weighing every aspect of the cities including their natural setting--London and New York really wouldn't rank as high as SF and Sydney which offer world class amenities PLUS a truly remarkable natural setting. London not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World