Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Anyway, as I was saying, London alone does NOT have a larger economy as the entire Bay Area. London falls short by $105 Billion.
I suggest you come up with a much better excuse for ignoring the difference between gva and gdp before you start spamming this ad nauseam.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:35 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,413 times
Lol GVA is not GDP

- The Brookings Institute (headquartered in Washington DC) measures London's GDP to be $731bn. For reference, San Francisco stands at $301bn: Global MetroMonitor | Brookings Institution

- McKinsey (headquartered in New York) measures London's GDP to be $752bn. For reference, San Francisco stands at $283bn: The Most Dynamic Cities of 2025

Reputable ranks on economic power, London ranks in the top 4 every time. San Francisco doesn't figure:

Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I suggest you come up with a much better excuse for ignoring the difference between gva and gdp before you start spamming this ad nauseam.
Sorry but I just found 100% confirmation for my theory.
Methodology Notes:

GDP is what the UK govt uses to compare itself to other countries.

Within the UK itself, the stat GVA is the regional contribution to the national GDP of the UK.

So the GVA figures stand.

Dayum, I'm good.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 PM

354 posts, read 681,821 times
Quote:
Comparing total GDP between world cities is nothing new, although it's only one of the many stats that contribute to a city's wealth. There're numerous reports out there with the statistics (compiled by professionals that actually know what they are doing) that 18Montclair is trying to add up by himself.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:44 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,163 times
Quote:
Sorry but I just found 100% confirmation for my theory.
Methodology Notes:

GDP is what the UK govt uses to compare itself to other countries.

Within the UK itself, the stat GVA is the regional contribution to the national GDP of the UK.

So the GVA figures stand.

Dayum, I'm good.
No. Read it again carefully.

The fact that they use gva for regional comparisons does not mean that that regional gva = regional gdp.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Lol GVA is not GDP

- The Brookings Institute (headquartered in Washington DC) measures London's GDP to be $731bn. For reference, San Francisco stands at $301bn: Global MetroMonitor | Brookings Institution
Nope. You are changing the subject and revising the parameters of your past comment, and by the way, for GDP, no one takes a think tank's word over a government statistical source so FAIL on that.

Now, sweetie,

YOU SAID:
The economy of London ALONE is greater than the WHOLE Bay Area.

London "Alone" the statistical area, has 8.3 Million people and a GDP of $501 Billion according to the British Government and that is NOT GREATER THAN the WHOLE Bay Area.

Not by 105B dollars actually.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-25-2014 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Cross-posting

Old 05-25-2014, 03:51 PM
SE9

It's 'weep', and the rather irrelevant fact that London is economically more powerful than the San Francisco area doesn't make me feel any type of way.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,102 times
Quote:
Nope. You are changing the subject and revising the parameters of your past comment, and by the way, for GDP, no one takes a think tank's word over a government statistical source so FAIL on that..
Really? I suggest you familiarise yourself with the following website: Shadow Government Statistics - Home Page

When it comes to determining the reliability of a study, critical appraisal always takes precedence over basic appeals to authority.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No. Read it again carefully.

The fact that they use gva for regional comparisons does not mean that it represents the total gdp for each region.
No, I only read the bible on Sunday.

In the meantime, here's a quote directly from that pdf:
What is Gross Domestic Product?
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is defined as the total value of all goods and services
produced within a country. In the United Kingdom

What is Gross Value Added?
Gross Value Added (GVA) measures the contribution to the economy of each
individual producer, industry or sector in the United Kingdom... GVA also allows for regional analysis and productivity comparisons to be made.

And it makes sense.
The way that industries are added together to determine their contribution to the GDP, the ONS does the same thing for regions. They call it GVA but their regional sums are indeed their contribution to the national GDP.

It doesn't say partial contribution, it says contribution. Regional Contribution to the National GDP could be called their regional GDP as well. It's not difficult to comprehend.

Unless you or anyone else can actually find a uk.gov statistical gathering site(and not some fluffy pr, chamber of commerce blip from a local authority) that specifically shows regional GDP for every region in the UK and is called "GDP"(in the which case I will happily stand corrected) then you should probably concede that GVA is the measure for regional GDP in the UK.

ijs.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:05 PM
SE9

This sorry sidetrack and bluster distracts from the fact that San Francisco (a great city in its own right) doesn't match to London in most comparative aspects. Music, arts, theatre, fashion, culture, history, transport and so on.

It's not a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World