Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

Taiwanese people LOVE Japan,it's like the biggest fan in Japan all over Asia,even the world.Japan is usually a top choice for Taiwanese to travel,and vice versa.Anyway the two nations are pretty close,the relationship stands out because East Asian countries usually hate each other with a boiling passion.
But immigration is quite unusual,I think it's because the immigration law of Japan is extremely strict.Taiwanese people usually choose US,Canada,or Australia as destinations of immigrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Taiwanese people LOVE Japan,it's like the biggest fan in Japan all over Asia,even the world.Japan is usually a top choice for Taiwanese to travel,and vice versa.Anyway the two nations are pretty close,the relationship stands out because East Asian countries usually hate each other with a boiling passion.
But immigration is quite unusual,I think it's because the immigration law of Japan is extremely strict.Taiwanese people usually choose US,Canada,or Australia as destinations of immigrating.
There's a part of Taipei that is full of Japanese 'clubs', restaurants, stores...I suspect a lot of these clubs are brothels or fronts for prostitution. Prostitution is legal in Taiwan/the ROC.

Taiwanese culture is sort of influenced by the Japanese. From the fashion to their overall personality. More polite/communal than the Chinese.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,785 times
Colonization isn't always the cruel, oppressive mechanism that rhetoricians and 'intellectuals' have been imposing on the world discourse for the last century. For the most part, British colonization of say Asia was pretty much just an economic exchange that vastly improved the infrastructure and material well-being of the areas colonized, including Hong Kong and Singapore which are now the richest places in the world. It's basically just a more materially-developed society entering into a symbiosis with one with inexpensive labor and materials; it has nothing to do with race or cultural superiority. While some colonizers and their policies were indeed cruel, most of the time it was fairly benign. The racism that British-trained lawyers like Gandhi felt was, in my opinion, more a personal issue that he harbored rather than a true threat to India. Essentially what he ended up doing, according to some, by demanding the immediate withdrawal of the British infrastructure, was cause a huge ethnic rift in the country that is now the most dangerous and hostile place in the world, with untold ethnic violence for decades, no end in sight. It's no wonder then that more practical-minded South Asians would prefer to move to the UK or elsewhere in the Commonwealth, and enjoy the stability those countries offer.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
I don't think I was thinking in terms of visiting the mother countries, France and the U.K. when I planned my first trip there.
It seems to me, it's not a mindset Canadians have.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Mexicans don't emigrate to Spain. Well, maybe students and well to do people -but those go anywhere they fancy- I'm sure there are more Spaniards in Mexico than viceversa.

Again, who'd move to Spain when you have the richest country in the world, just across the fence.

I've heard that Dominicans and South Americans are found in good numbers there. Since I've never set foot in Spain I cannot confirm it.
When I lived in Spain back in 2007, it seemed to be mostly immigrants from South American countries -Ecuador and Bolivia were big ones- North Africa, and Eastern Europe, primarily Romania. Incidentally, these seem to be Latin American countries that do not have large immigration to the US. Lots and lots of American students and tourists as well. Though funny enough, another student I met while living there and who is now one of my best friends is Mexican-American.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Mexicans don't emigrate to Spain. Well, maybe students and well to do people -but those go anywhere they fancy- I'm sure there are more Spaniards in Mexico than viceversa.

Again, who'd move to Spain when you have the richest country in the world, just across the fence.

I've heard that Dominicans and South Americans are found in good numbers there. Since I've never set foot in Spain I cannot confirm it.
As far as former colonies go, I met a lot more South Americans than Mexicans or Central Americans. There also seems to be a lot of Dominicans and Cubans. I saw tons of Filipinos in Madrid; but maybe they're just concentrated in the area where I was staying.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:34 PM

354 posts, read 681,868 times
Was there a trend with inter colonies migration as well? Like many Singapore and Malaysian immigrants in Australia, Haitians and Hong Kong immigrants in Canada and so on.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There's a part of Taipei that is full of Japanese 'clubs', restaurants, stores...I suspect a lot of these clubs are brothels or fronts for prostitution. Prostitution is legal in Taiwan/the ROC.

Taiwanese culture is sort of influenced by the Japanese. From the fashion to their overall personality. More polite/communal than the Chinese.
Isn't that sort of like saying that someone from American Samoa is more polite/communal than the Samoans?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't think I was thinking in terms of visiting the mother countries, France and the U.K. when I planned my first trip there.
It seems to me, it's not a mindset Canadians have.
It still is for many Australians. We make the 'pilgrimage' to the UK to work or just visit. Like I said, our head of state lives over there!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It still is for many Australians. We make the 'pilgrimage' to the UK to work or just visit. Like I said, our head of state lives over there!
Though becoming less so, the number of Aussies taking the "right of passage trip" has come down considerably over the last 20 years or so. When I was living on London I never thought i would see the day when articles like this would appear.

Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay - Home News - UK - The Independent

BBC News - The decline of the Australian in the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World