Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:12 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,701,136 times

Advertisements

3 toppings is optimal.

Prosciutto, rucola and tomatos or pepperoni, bell peppers and black olives. Or classic Finnish with 4 toppings: kebab, tomatos, onions and jalapeños.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:58 PM

2,855 posts, read 5,243,223 times
It depends of the place... There are places with nice traditionally italian pizzas and others that are more like chains in a more "fast food" concept. These are different things but we should not forget that originally pizza has always been a poor's workers lunch in the 19th century in Naples's port. it was a snack, rather than a dish. It was originally just an adaptation of the near eastern "pita", on which napoletean put some tomato olives and anchoves on it.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,812,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
As a decent tasty meal or greasy trash?

I thought about this after talking to a German friend the other day. Here in Canada, you order a pizza if you are really drunk, temporarily foregoing all your dietary concerns, or you just didn't care in the first place. A non-greasy, meat-loaded pizza from an Italian restaurant or pizzeria is by far the most uncommon source of your pie. Usually they are ordered from a place that focuses on really extreme variations of pizza in the vein of fast food.

I think maybe in a lot of Europe, and maybe Argentina(?), pizzas are not as large and focus on only a couple of fresh ingredients without dripping grease, sauce, and unidentifiable cheese. Therefor, maybe pizza doesn't have as much a stigma as in North America. Possibly it's even just a normal food.

What do you think?
Well we see it as unhealthy but nice to eat. More as a treat.

I love pizza but it has to be a certain type not plain cheese.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That looks like a bit of a dump.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here in Vancouver it runs the gamut and has changed over the years.
Generally the pizza you order over the phone is the typical North American style pizza's. Dipping Sauce? What's with that?LOL
Then you have your frozen pizza's. Varying quality from bad to actually quite good. Some made by big corps some not.
If I buy a frozen one for those lazy cooking days, I buy Mccain since they seem not to have all the chemicals that say Delissio's has. Current fave is

Parisian

Then you have pizza restaurants. The sit down kind that again vary from being like the delivery ones and then ones that are actually what you find in Italy. Current fave

Nicli Antica Pizzeria

At the bottom of the heap, though are those " pizza by the slice " that seem to survive on the bar crowd stumbling home.
I like spicy pizza. I think its this one:Iceland Italian Stonebaked Mediterranean Vegetable Pizza 408g | Thin & Crispy Pizzas | Pizza & Garlic Bread | Frozen | Iceland

And my mum buys the McCain chips and they are ****!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,319,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's funny, like I said before, pizza actually wasn't popular in most of Italy until somewhat recently.
Define "somewhat recently". It stretches over such a long period of time, that I can't call it "recently" anymore.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,706,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Define "somewhat recently". It stretches over such a long period of time, that I can't call it "recently" anymore.
Like I said, pizzerias/trattorias/restaurants serving pizza were not actually that common north of Rome until after the Second World War. Of course in the South it was pretty popular for much longer, but I mean the pizza we know wasn't really a local or widespread dish in the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World