Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,729,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I assume cronuts are just deep-fried croissant bits?
Yes. Croissant-doughnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 AM

177 posts, read 268,041 times
Quote:
I assume cronuts are just deep-fried croissant bits?
It's this cross between and doughnut and a croissant created by Dominique Ansel, a famous pastry chef in New York.
He only makes a couple a day and when it was first introduced people lined up in front of his bakery at 5 am in the morning for hours to get one.

They allow only two per customer or something like that.

I don't know if that is still the case but I never could get my hands on one but now every chain has its own version that they call something else since "cronut" is patented.

I have seen "crumbnut", "croinut" "croissanut" etc etc..

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,326,428 times
Well, deep-frying dough that's basically 70% butter, filling said dough with buttery pudding and drizzling all that with sugar makes kinda sense I guess. Good lord, that screams diabetes.

Edit: America keeps surprising me...

Deep-Fried Appeal - ABC News

Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
It's this cross between and doughnut and a croissant created by Dominique Ansel, a famous pastry chef in New York.
He only makes a couple a day and when it was first introduced people lined up in front of his bakery at 5 am in the morning for hours to get one.

They allow only two per customer or something like that.

I don't know if that is still the case but I never could get my hands on one but now every chain has its own version that they call something else since "cronut" is patented.

I have seen "crumbnut", "croinut" "croissanut" etc etc..

Are they for sale in Florida? Will have to try one.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Well, deep-frying dough that's basically 70% butter, filling said dough with buttery pudding and drizzling all that with sugar makes kinda sense I guess. Good lord, that screams diabetes.

Edit: America keeps surprising me...

Deep-Fried Appeal - ABC News
Well, those Anglo-Saxons are quite weird as a whole...

Old 05-16-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, those Anglo-Saxons are quite weird as a whole...
America is not Anglo-Saxon.
White people here are called "Caucasian", that encompasses anything from the European continent.
I am Korean btw, and currently on my floor at my job there's only two American-Americans (one who is black) and the rest is from all different countries.

New York as a whole is a miniature version of the world, and it's the coolest place on the planet, imho.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
America is not Anglo-Saxon.
White people here are called "Caucasian", that encompasses anything from the European continent.
And Europe isn't "Caucasian". The Caucasus is in Armenia, Georgia, Russia and Azerbaijan, very far from Europe.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM

I didn't say that. You can take your argument to the German guy who coined the term and linked it to white people.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes. Croissant-doughnuts.

Ugh might be tasty but I would pass. Croissants have just enough flour to hold the grease together.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What are some food fads in your country or city? Things that have only seemed to have become popular in the last few years (and may or may not last the test of time). In Melbourne some of them are...

I would say sushi but that's kind of already established...

Food vans/trucks/stalls in general

Crepes

Macarons

Wagyu beef

Tapas bars

Fusion food

American BBQ, e.g. pulled pork, ribs, brisket.etc

'Gourmet' pizza, anything from teriyaki prawn to tsatsiki to escargo

Wheatgrass/kale smoothies/shakes

Haloumi cheese

Mexican/Latin restaurants/cantinas

Chinese dumplings

Sichuan cuisine

Ethiopian food

Asian street foods, from Vietnamese spring rolls to Chinese wraps and kebabs

Anything with ganash in it

Cupcakes

European, craft and microbrewery beers

Bubble tea

Chai lattes

'Reductions' and 'consumes'

Among others

Which of these apply in your country? What are some others?
I can't speak for all of Canada, but in Vancouver fads that have come and gone are Bubble Tea and Cupcakes. Let's not forget Oxygen bars. Remember those? LOL

I can only guess at what is currently popular that might turn out to be a fad, but things like Sushi and Asian food in Vancouver is not a fad but an integral part of the food scene.

Gourmet Doughnuts. I think the " fun " of exotic creations won't last.

Small Brewers are a trend and are popping up almost monthly. It's a tough call on this one. I think the number of brewers will decline, but small brewers are here to stay. These places are what I call micro micro breweries, smaller than the micro breweries that have been around for years. A local change in liquor laws now allows these micro micro breweries to have tasting rooms which pretty much act like a pub.

Things like Donairs, wraps of all kinds etc have been around for years so perhaps what was though of as a fad is still around.

Ethiopian restaurants, we have 5 or 6, are not super high on peoples radar, possibly because at one of them existed here as far back as 1992 and aren't considered odd or exotic?

Chai Lattes same…fad that stayed.

Ganash? Do you mean Ganache? Again, not a fad here, Popular and common.

Crepe places I remember as far back as the late 1980's. More popular now with a chain that has several around town.

Neopolitan style pizza places started opening up about four years ago…they are still around…so again…hard to say if it's a fad. I don't think it will be…they're too good.

Mexican restaurants in Vancouver tended to be Tex/Mex and pretty average. Lately though some more authentic places serving real Mexican have opened up. Good, but still not like in Mexico!

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-16-2014 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World