Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

All concerned countries would have to put aside their political differences and agree to this which for the foreseeable future isn't likely to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
All concerned countries would have to put aside their political differences and agree to this which for the foreseeable future isn't likely to happen
Or they can just lol at the Chinese then totally ignore this plan.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
People laughed at the channel tunnel at the time!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM

545 posts, read 866,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The Channel tunnel was a financial mess while being in a much much lower scale. And it didn't cross foreign borders, ocean rifts, one of the most deep ocean, areas with volcanic and earthquake problems, etc.. This project is rubbish, and I'm not even sure this is not a lie from this so called newspaper. Building a bridge would be easier.
Freight and planes would be so much cheaper nobody would use it anyway. And who would agree to travel in an ocean tunnel during a whole week ?.. It's madness.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:55 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Was a joke. Of course it is a none starter

Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I think it's positively brilliant and I can definitely see it happening. I say 3 cheers for China and their pioneering spirit and ambition for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post

Freight and planes would be so much cheaper nobody would use it anyway. .
By the time a project like their proposed rail line is finished it may no longer be practical or even possible to use freighters and planes to go anywhere.

Quote:

And who would agree to travel in an ocean tunnel during a whole week ?.. It's madness

Uummm - don't you mean a couple of hours max?

The ocean tunnel would only be 124 miles / 200 kilometers long. Since when has it taken a whole week for a high speed train to travel a distance of 124 miles /200 klicks? A person could walk that distance in less than a week.

Maybe the train they're proposing might take a week to go from Beijing to the American east coast.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, so far China is the only country that has expressed willingness to do that. What does that tell you?

Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I think this is a bit ambitious. Its like 5,000 miles..

Old 05-24-2014, 06:06 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
The Channel tunnel was a financial mess while being in a much much lower scale. And it didn't cross foreign borders, ocean rifts, one of the most deep ocean, areas with volcanic and earthquake problems, etc.. This project is rubbish, and I'm not even sure this is not a lie from this so called newspaper. Building a bridge would be easier.
Freight and planes would be so much cheaper nobody would use it anyway. And who would agree to travel in an ocean tunnel during a whole week ?.. It's madness.
I can certainly assure you it most CERTAINLY DID!!!!

France is a foreign country!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:03 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Politically I could see Canada getting on board and possibly the US, but Russia would be against it. Goes through their territory and they would have little to gain, and their rivals would gain an economical advantage.
If it ever got built it would be one of the greatest engineering feats for humanity, I think China is coming into its golden age and it won't get there piggybacking on Russia, it needs the western economies to continue its growth. I don't see how it could be financially feasible, but im optimistic China could do it, especially with the help of Canada and the US. South Korea and Japan could have a lot to gain as well if China would allow them to get on board. With those 5 countries I think it could get built. I'd bypass Russia if possible, but thats probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World