Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Speaking. Its hard to understand unless they speak and use simple vocabulary. I still can't even understand people talking Finnish a lot of the time but can make myself understood most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
It depends: generally I find easier to read and write in a foreign language, then speaking and only after hearing.
Yet, I can say hear a lot in French but my skills in speaking are lower, I can hear a lot in German and read but speaking it requires me a lot of concentration.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Definitely understanding for me. I have spoken English and Spanish since infancy, so similar languages like French and Italian I can understand at times, but responding back at any proficient level is difficult for me.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 PM

667 posts, read 940,405 times
Speaking is a bit easier I think. Reading is even more easy.
However, when it comes to understanding, for example, English, it may depend on how this other person speaks it. If he uses too much slang or has some strange accent, it makes things harder. Otherwise I think I speak and understand English on roughly the same level.
But for example French -- I don't speak it well, and I don't write too well, but my reading abilities are better.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
It's a toss-up between speaking and reading for me. Probably slightly easier to speak because I am in "control" of the words being used.

Understanding the spoken language is the toughest part for me, and the absolute toughest is understanding someone who is not speaking directly to me: conversations you overhear, announcements, movies, TV, lyrics in songs.

When people are speaking directly to you and realize you are not a native speaker they will often speak more slowly or even use simpler words. Or sometimes if they sense you didn't get a word will come back with a simpler synonym.

I have been told by my language teachers that my accents are very good, and so often I get caught by people whom I have addressed in their language, and thinking I am a native speaker, or at least a 100% fluent one, will immediately start speaking in rapid-fire language X complete with slang and everything!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times
It depends on the language.
My Portuguese is crooked. Portuguese grammar is quite hard.
I can understand it better when reading it, but not so much when I am just hearing it because they tend to swallow the words.

My Spanish is probably better than my Portuguese. Reading or hearing ( hearing South American Spanish ) I understand it more than Portuguese because it much clearer and I am already very much familiar with most of the words since there are almost 6,000 Spanish words in my language.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times
Somehow I could understand by combining words that I know, but speaking is actually you have to create thoughts and speak to show them fully understand.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think I am in the minority, in that I can fairly quickly pick up the ability to express myself in a foreign language, but have great difficulty tuning my ear to understand it.

Which to me, makes perfect logical sense. I learn a vocabulary of a few hundred words and basic syntax and grammar, which is easily understood by a native speaker when I piece them together, but a person speaking to me uses mostly words I don't know and grammatical constructions that I don't know, and talks a lot faster than I can reconstruct in my mind..

Yet, somehow, my traveling companions understand everything people say, but have to nudge me and tell me to ask the questions. My wife says that is because she already knows pretty much what they are going to say, because she can read body language, which I cannot do because I'm autistic.
I'm the same. Speaking (and reading/writing) are easiest for me. And understanding grammar patterns. Understanding the spoken word at normal speed using "normal" vocabulary has always been tricky for me. I have to practice/listen way more than most people to get that down.

I also have sort of a weird "talent" in that I can mimic the sounds of a language very well and speak with little or no "English accent" very quickly, even though I still can't really speak or understand the language.

This happened to me with Spanish. As I was learning, native speakers would hear me speak and think that I was either a native speaker or someone who had spoken the language for years at an advanced level... yet at the time, I really didn't speak so well and I certainly had a hard time understanding the spoken word. But I had no accent and was told that directly many times by native speakers. So I sounded like I could speak well, but didn't. Like a car that looks very fast but has a junkie motor under the hood. Well, as I learned, of course, that got better.

But I tend to mimic the sounds of a language really, really well, which is deceptive for a native speaker because they are used to learners having heavy accents and being obvious learners. It's kind of fun being able to do that, though, because I can memorize a paragraph in a language I don't speak at all and get the sounds perfect or nearly perfect after listening to native speakers a bit and mimicking their sounds and flow.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Understand.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,865 times
I've taken 4 years of Spanish myself. I can understand reading and writing just fine, speaking it can be somewhat difficult though, and sometimes native speakers talk way too fast or use a lot of slang that I don't understand. I've noticed that Spanish tends to be spoken in a somewhat monotonous way (unlike English, where our tones tend to shift) so it almost sounds like they're mumbling to me. I prefer European Spanish because that's what my dad's family speaks and they seem enunciate their words more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World