Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 PM

40 posts, read 92,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
It's not good to live in the past. There's a reason people don't pay for stuff their ancestors may have done.

Racism is a thing of a past, and black people like to keep bringing it up, when the truth is they're not living in the present, but wallowing in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I agree, I hear more comments about racism against black people when people mention the problem from the past, than the problem itself nowadays.
It's not a thing of the past, bigotry and racism still occurs mostly by Whites who pretend to not mind having Black people around as Donald Sterling just showed us. It still occurs and it still occurs just as much as before, it's just more covert now.

With that said, I do find it funny how much Whites love talking about the past so as long as it puts them in a positive light ie, "My grand daddy fought in this war", but whenever bringing up the past puts them in a not so flattering light, well everyone should just move on.

If you're African American as I am, there's nothing about being in America to be proud of. Our ancestors were brought here in chains and not even treated as people but as property. Our ancestry, real names, and heritage were forever destroyed. We had to fight just to be treated as human beings and even then Black people weren't given the same rights (on paper) as Whites until only about 50 years ago. Please try to step outside of your privileged ignorant mindset and I think you'll see that Black people to this day do not have the same privileges as Whites and still aren't treated equally to Whites.

Slavery was an abomination and an unspeakable evil, to try and downplay what a tragedy it was is disgusting.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
It's not good to live in the past.
Its not good to be ignorant and believe all black people have a chip on their shoulder. [/quote]
Quote:

There's a reason people don't pay for stuff their ancestors may have done.
That makes no sense at all. No one every mentioned it.

Quote:
Racism is a thing of a past, and black people like to keep bringing it up, when the truth is they're not living in the present, but wallowing in the past.
That is not what i meant. I was trying to answer your first question. But it seems you already made up your mind about your thoughts on black people. it seems the text just went right through your head.

Slavery and Discrimination is what pushed black people into poverty. Now we are trying to fix the problem. But people like you say that is Reverse Racism, and that black people are just whining and that we are all equal now.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
It's not good to live in the past. There's a reason people don't pay for stuff their ancestors may have done.

What planet do you live on?!?!? Are you Fckn serious right now?!?!? You have to be saying this to see how people will react because no one could possibly be so clueless! Racism is alive and well. Just because it's not the open rabid bigotry of yesterday doesn't mean it's gone.
Quote:
Young black and Latino males tend to be sentenced more severely than comparably-situated white males;
Unemployed black males tend to be sentenced more severely than comparably-situated white males.
Interaction and indirect effects of race/ethnicity and process-related factors
Key findings:

Blacks pay a higher "trial penalty" than comparably-situated whites;
Whites receive a larger reduction in sentence time than blacks and Latinos for providing "substantial assistance" to the prosecution;
Blacks and Latinos with a more serious criminal record tend to be sentenced more severely than comparably-situated whites;
Blacks are more likely to be jailed pending trial, and therefore tend to receive harsher sentences;
Whites are more likely to hire a private attorney than Latinos or blacks, and therefore receive a less severe sentence.
Racial Disparity in Sentencing | Open Society Foundations (OSF) this is just one example. But Racism is a thing of the past

Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What planet do you live on?!?!? Are you Fckn serious right now?!?!? You have to be saying this to see how people will react because no one could possibly be so clueless! Racism is alive and well. Just because it's not the open rabid bigotry of yesterday doesn't mean it's gone. Racial Disparity in Sentencing | Open Society Foundations (OSF) this is just one example. But Racism is a thing of the past

I agree. His post is up there in my top 10 stupidest things I've read on CD.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM

351 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
It's not a thing of the past, bigotry and racism still occurs mostly by Whites who pretend to not mind having Black people around as Donald Sterling just showed us. It still occurs and it still occurs just as much as before, it's just more covert now.

With that said, I do find it funny how much Whites love talking about the past so as long as it puts them in a positive light ie, "My grand daddy fought in this war", but whenever bringing up the past puts them in a not so flattering light, well everyone should just move on.

If you're African American as I am, there's nothing about being in America to be proud of. Our ancestors were brought here in chains and not even treated as people but as property. Our ancestry, real names, and heritage were forever destroyed. We had to fight just to be treated as human beings and even then Black people weren't given the same rights (on paper) as Whites until only about 50 years ago. Please try to step outside of your privileged ignorant mindset and I think you'll see that Black people to this day do not have the same privileges as Whites and still aren't treated equally to Whites.

Slavery was an abomination and an unspeakable evil, to try and downplay what a tragedy it was is disgusting.
Still talking about the past I would listen to you if this were America in pre 60's, but we're in 2014, where you have so many famous black people like LaBran James, Kobe Bryant, Beyonce, Rihanna, Obama...I'm not buying into all this racism

If people were so racist, Obama wouldn't be elected (though there could be reverse racism as I've read many blacks just voted for Obama since he was black and this may be a once in a lifetime chance to vote for him -- regardless of his actual credentials)

Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
Still talking about the past I would listen to you if this were America in pre 60's, but we're in 2014, where you have so many famous black people like LaBran James, Kobe Bryant, Beyonce, Rihanna, Obama...I'm not buying into all this racism

If people were so racist, Obama wouldn't be elected (though there could be reverse racism as I've read many blacks just voted for Obama since he was black and this may be a once in a lifetime chance to vote for him -- regardless of his actual credentials)

No it justs means most Americans are not ignorant as you are. There is still a large number of people just like you though. Who like to think they are
"Standing up the truth and telling it how it is"
that " The good ol days are gone"
that " We are heading into a decline"
that "Minorities are lazy and feeding off welfare"

Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM

351 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
No it justs means most Americans are not ignorant as you are. There is still a large number of people just like you though. Who like to think they are
"Standing up the truth and telling it how it is"
that " The good ol days are gone"
that " We are heading into a decline"
that "Minorities are lazy and feeding off welfare"
Well I'm not even American in the first place

Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 PM

51 posts, read 135,756 times
What I do not get is how Black people are allowed to have race threads and talk about race but if any other group of people does (indians or asian males) then the threads are closed and deleted on the drop of a dime. I don't find it to be fair at all and I am a white male. If we are going to allow black people to post race threads due to their concerns of traveling then we should allow other minority groups to do the same. I am certain that an Indian male no matter how well dressed and great of a person he is will face a lot more racism from the White population in Canada than a Black male because Canadians hate Indian and Asian males.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,447 times
I'm half Asian and I am perfectly fine with most racism discussions being about white vs. black, because in the U.S., most racism targeted and continues to target Black people. Black people face negative stereotypes from the moment their parents bring them out to the world until they die. Teachers are more likely to expel them than give them the benefit of the doubt. There was a Black high school girl in the news last year who was doing a science fair project that caused an explosion, and she was hauled off to jail! Police are more likely to arrest them and throw them in jail rather than give them the benefit of the doubt. And you continue to have people like the OP who are high on white privilege who think that because they the White people don't see racism, it must not exist. The same kind of logic behind boys who think women don't fart.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-02-2014 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,485,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post

I don't live in America, but where I live I can assure you that black people don't have ANY problem at all. But still, white people nowadays are not guilty about the past, there are racist everywhere and from every ethnicity, but most of people are not.

When I went to Harlem for example we had bad experiences with blacks. In the streets and the subway. We don't deserve this either just for being white. I want to think this was an isolated fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.