Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,370,336 times

Advertisements

I have read some rather funny or odd reviews on different travel forums regarding my city of Vancouver from tourists. Everything from people thinking that they have visited Alaska ( not kidding ) to less odd things but still funny observations.

Share your stories. I don't want this to turn into tourist bashing since I'm sure we've all been somewhere and misinterpret what was really going on, but rather sharing amusing stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:24 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,641,509 times
We are a very small city (7.5 sq mi) in Southern CA, and not exactly a tourist destination, but we do get them since travelers can more cheaply stay here than in neighboring Laguna Beach; or they come due to business.

Still, I sometimes read that people are upset over parking, or whatever, at the nearby Costco and Walmart discount/big box stores; not realizing that these places are really located in another city, Laguna Niguel.

One person even complained about, "Crows that will swipe down and take your infant." Suure, now take your meds.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:45 PM

8,844 posts, read 8,353,710 times
I have yet to see any really crazy reviews of Taipei(or Taiwan in general since it's a pretty small island).Foreign tourists seem to have plenty of nice things to say about this place,such as people are super nice,cleanliness,safety,good food and stuff.Actually some of them are quite surprising to me because I don't always think those are the cases here.

I tend to agree with the negative reviews more though,I find them to be very insightful and accurate,lol.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM

The reviews do also say that Aliso Viejo is really clean, safe and beach-close with lush landscaping and good schools, but these are not weird.

Saying a crow might steal your infant is beyond bizarre!

I did just see one review that warned of cougars on hiking trails. I haven't seen any, although we do have bobcats and coyotes, and there is a sign at a nearby nature park warning of mountain lions.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,370,336 times
" Why crow, why ?! " American Dad fans will know that one. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPK_651K3zI

Another odd one said about Stanley Park in Vancouver, but I guess it could apply to any large park. The woman tourist gave the park low marks because it was too big.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
" Why crow, why ?! " American Dad fans will know that one. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPK_651K3zI

Another odd one said about Stanley Park in Vancouver, but I guess it could apply to any large park. The woman tourist gave the park low marks because it was too big.
That's funny and I can relate. Still, I think they are really kind of cool. We have a lot of parks here, but you even see crows hanging around other areas of the city.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:03 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,511,319 times
Most of people visiting my city have a better opinion about the city than before the travel. I live in one of the most bashed cities of the world, but the city is much better than how it is generally depicted and this is a surprise for a lot of people - who, in some cases, expect something like a mix of Dhaka and Baghdad.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM

217 posts, read 274,791 times
I live in Amsterdam and most stories about this city are more based on myth than reality

Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,763,373 times
Most people internationally don't know GZ exists, even though its total unofficial population is probably over 15 million people, it's 2000 years old, and the nexus of one of the most populous places of its size on earth.

If you tell people you live in Canton, the old English transliteration, then they may have a vague image in their heads of movies about Old China... Crowded alleyways, hutongs, opium dens, caged chickens out on the street, exotic women in qipao smoking through ivory holders, men in circular glasses practicing kung fu, and coolies pulling carts around.

The main complaint I hear from visitors to GZ is the pollution... Not the worst in China by any means but far worse than anything in the West. You go down to see the Zhujiang (Pearl) River and it's trashed, literally... The estuaries that don't flow as much are worse, utterly horrifying. People ask why the water always looks like it's raining; it's the bubbles from the noxious gasses forming under the surface rising.

The best thing is when people get off the main, built-up, modern roads and into the rest of GZ.

"Are those chicken feet that total babe in the sexy dress is eating?"
"Yes."
"... Is that a starfish on a skewer?"
"Well, it's sure not beef."
"I take it those frogs in that tank aren't pets."
"They're sold by the kilo."
"The snakes too?"
"Them too."
"... Those cricket-looking things?"
"Especially the cricket-looking things."

The grannies doing mass synchronized dances to Cantopop late into the night... The grandparents letting their grandkids just do their business wherever... Compared to the West where people carry little bottles of hand sanitizer with them, open door handles with tissues, and wipe down shopping trolleys before using them, it's utterly mad.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 PM

313 posts, read 529,031 times
^ Are insects commonly eaten in Guangzhou or by the Cantonese? I associate the eating of insects more with South-East Asian, particularly Thai, Lao and Khmer culture, although I know there's the famous market in Beijing that has bugs, scorpions.etc. I hear though it's more a curiosity and most Chinese don't eat insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World