Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as a European Jew. Jews are not from Europe.

It does explain it, if two Jews have their child in Europe, their child is not European and cannot live in Europe.

Two Jews have their child in Miami, their child acquires the U.S. nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post

It does explain it, if two Jews have their child in Europe, their child is not European and cannot live in Europe.

No, there is definitely a concept of European Jews. You can try using the internet.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, there is definitely a concept of European Jews. You can try using the internet.
The world map is pretty clear, Israel is located in Asia, and Europe is a different continent.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
The world map is pretty clear, Israel is located in Asia, and Europe is a different continent.
I thought were were talking about Jewish people and not Israel. Is this highly confusing to you?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
To live in Europe a person needs a European nationality, and European nationalities are passed on by blood right (Jus Sanguinis). There is a tiny population of Jews in Europe because a Jew cannot acquire any of these nationalities, unless they marry a European person and acquire the European nationality of that person through marriage.

In the USA, nationalities are acquired by birth right, anyone who is born here gets the nationality and that is why there are more Jews here in the U.S..
I'm sorry, but that's not what ius sanguinis means.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Even pre-Holocaust, the Jewish population of Western Europe wasn't all that high. Germany had about 520,000 in the early 30s. New York City at the time had maybe around 3.5 times that number. Most of those were from eastern Europe or their children.

Jewish Population of Europe in 1933: Population Data by Country

France has a larger Jewish population today then then probably from migration from North Africa or other parts of Europe post WWII.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The lower number of Jews in the UK was because the Jews were expelled from Britain by Edward the 1st in 1290, and only began to trickle back in during the rule of Oliver Cromwell. The Spanish Inquisition is responsible for the low numbers in Spain, with the large Jewish Diaspora resulting from the Spanish expulsion settling in many places and creating the Sephardic Jewish culture. As for the rest of Western Europe? C'mon man. Why are you skirting around the elephant in the room? There were 9 million Jewish people in Europe before the Holocaust and 6 million of them were murdered. Two thirds of Europe's Jews were exterminated. American Jews in the US were not.

America was, and is, a land of religious tolerance. It was also the go to place for Europeans who had little in Europe and had strong incentives to leave. It was thus, of course, an attractive place for Jews fleeing persecution, whether it be Eastern Europe's pogroms, the aftermath of WW2, or any other awful thing from before that stuff. Not sure about Australia, but Canada got less Jewish immigration then the US did because many of the US Jews were driven there by the pogroms in Eastern Europe that started in the 1880's and that was an era when Canada was still pretty wild and was not yet receiving large numbers of immigrants from non-British European sources. That didn't really get going for another 20 years when the settlement of the West kicked off in earnest. As such, we got quite a large number of Jews in Canada (1.1% is a respectable number), but not as many as the US. Assuming Aus may be similar.
This answers pretty well my question.

I'm not ignorant about the fact that many Jews came to the United States to escape the Holocaust and the pogroms. But I didn't know that much more about other western countries and if they took in as many Jewish people as immigrants whose descendents still live there today (I guess in continental Europe overall, not a lot of places were safe, but I was also wondering about the UK and other parts of the Anglosphere too).

Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:

Nonsense. Unless recently immigrated, all Jews living in Europe have the nationality of their respective country. There is no "Jewish" citizenship. A German Jew is a German citizen of Jewish faith. Just like a German Catholic is a German citizen of Catholic faith.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
This answers pretty well my question.

I'm not ignorant about the fact that many Jews came to the United States to escape the Holocaust and the pogroms. But I didn't know that much more about other western countries and if they took in as many Jewish people as immigrants whose descendents still live there today (I guess in continental Europe overall, not a lot of places were safe, but I was also wondering about the UK and other parts of the Anglosphere too).
Most Jews in the US came before World War II, so the Holocaust had little effect. I know England, or at least London, got a bit of Eastern European Jewish immigration, though not to the scale of the US. Pre-holocaust, the US still had a smaller Jewish population than Europe, but most of the Jewish population was in eastern rather than western Europe.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:

You're talking through your anus. if you think European Jews were apatrids you're really ignoant. Freud was Austrian, Marx was German, etc.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most Jews in the US came before World War II, so the Holocaust had little effect. I know England, or at least London, got a bit of Eastern European Jewish immigration, though not to the scale of the US. Pre-holocaust, the US still had a smaller Jewish population than Europe, but most of the Jewish population was in eastern rather than western Europe.
To take your statement a little further back in time, most of the Jews came from North Africa (Sephardic - Spain decent) and not Europe (Ashkenazi) nor Asia (Mizrahi) to the US.

Touro Synagogue History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World