Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times

Advertisements

Despite speaking English, German and Spanish I felt like a complete idiot in places like China, Korea or Japan where basically no one else speaks those languages. Maybe OP suffers from a false sense of superiority?

Edit: And yes, I browsed through the language section of my guidebook, but what the hell is the benefit of being able to ask the shopkeeper whether he can speak English when I don't understand the answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Especially for American, Canadian and British users, do you ever feel the need, or desire to flaunt your national origin via your language because you know people with yield to you?
No, that has never been the case. In fact, I was once made fun of by someone because I was speaking English - in Rome. If you do any traveling, then you will know that people everywhere prefer that you speak the local language.

Having said that, there are a lot of places in Asian and third world countries where they like to see who's speaking English so they know who to take the most money from.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you do any traveling, then you will know that people everywhere prefer that you speak the local language.
It totally depends on the situation. If the local in question only speaks his language, sure, he will prefer to speak his native tongue. Kinda makes sense.

But when I notice that a tourist is struggling to form a simple sentence in German I usually just talk English to him (if he speaks English). In this case I prefer to speak English, because it makes life just so much easier.

And to be honest: I don't mind if a tourist says "Thank you", "Please" and "Hello" or "Danke", "Bitte", "Grüß Gott". What's the benefit of knowing that he learned a couple of words from his guidebook by heart?

Edit: @that guy who made fun of you because you spoke English: just an *******. Certainly not the norm.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I would add that speaking English on the part of people who are native speakers (and of European appearance) is not generally seen as special or a "prestige" thing by people abroad.

It can sometimes be seen as a "prestige" thing when people from non-anglo countries know English as a second language.

It's also something of a "prestige" thing for native English speakers to speak additional languages aside from their own.

And finally, I'd say that certain people of non-European appearance who are English speakers (second language and even native speakers) may get some "prestige" from this fact, especially from other people who might be of the same ethnic origin as them, and see the fact that they speak English as evidence that they have "made it".

Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM

545 posts, read 866,119 times
In France, an anglo speaking good French will have much much more prestige than an English only speaker.
In Europe, more you know languages more prestige you have. Being monolingual doesn't show any prestige, and it's the same in most countries.
OP : you may think you have prestige while speaking English but it's maybe more the fact it shows you are a tourist from a rich country, which give you some "power" thanks to your potential money.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:23 PM

338 posts, read 334,857 times
It's not just communication. Speaking Mandarin in a business situation will increase your chances of succeeding with the Chinese because you will impress them, it will win you more favor, that and being able to drink several shots of Baijiu when they insist you not stop, uuugggghhhhhh.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Speaking as an Italian native speaker I'd say that speaking English very well (C1 or above) for an Italian person is seen well.
You aren't considered "special" or "incredible" but, given the considerably low and poor knowledge of English in Italy (just look for the discourse that Italian PM made at Venice in English, it's embarrassing), if you can speak English well then you'll be seen as smart.
Generally an English native speaker isn't seen as sophisticated or superiour but there isn't much hostility towards it owing it to the fact foreign languages aren't that widespread in Italy.
On the other hand, it's undeniable that speaking well one or more foreign languages is seen as very smart and it's praised, especially taking into account the hardship endured in achieving such a fluency.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM

153 posts, read 150,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
It might have more to do with my nationality perhaps, but it seems to be triggered when I start speaking English. I see English everywhere, and everyone is trying to learn it since its transcending nations. But my accent isn't very interesting, it sounds standard American with a hint of Californian but nothing special.

I mean I'm not saying that I felt like I dominated the world when I spoke English, but it felt as if I was 'privileged' to be speaking a language. Everyone is trying to learn it and always mimicking it, so personally I felt a little inflated. I understand it has nothing to do with my personality, but whenever I had an issue, I would reluctantly start talking in English and things seemed to move quicker. That's what I mean by yield, like the put down their objections to me. But that happens primarily in poorer countries, or in France's case, with African Immigrants (I should also note that I'm black American.)

It's perhaps the most global language that almost every non-native speaker tries to learn, but when I use it, and my friends as well, its like it elevates us. However in Europe, amongst the people who weren't immigrants or were White, they're just interested in my English--they don't inflate my ego or anything, I'm talking primarily those on the poorer side in Europe, or solidly in the blue collar class.

Asia is a whole different field.
It is only for economic reasons that they want to learn it ,and the least cultured in the country who think it is trendy . It is purely by aggressive tactics and unawareness of the superiority and depth of other cultures that English is so widely spoken .

I am sorry but your post is embarrasing,because there is nothing superior about English, as it is the most common language in the world,and that makes it very cheap . Languages like Italian ,French and Spanish are more beautiful,and have much more beautiful music,and the cultures from which they come, have more depth .

Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 PM

313 posts, read 531,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
I'm more surprised when a European is interested in languages that aren't in the same family.
It's a shame being "multilingual" means speaking English, Spanish, German, and Italian or something like that.
No.. not all languages normally have a subjunctive.

English is the world language now, it isn't enforced by the natives themselves but by people who speak languages related to it enforcing it since it's already well implemented and feels familiar. Natives have no say in the matter.
English is a language that spread and is spreading via capitalism and business, economic colonialism.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 AM

371 posts, read 454,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomTooth 359 View Post
It is only for economic reasons that they want to learn it ,and the least cultured in the country who think it is trendy . It is purely by aggressive tactics and unawareness of the superiority and depth of other cultures that English is so widely spoken .

I am sorry but your post is embarrasing,because there is nothing superior about English, as it is the most common language in the world,and that makes it very cheap . Languages like Italian ,French and Spanish are more beautiful,and have much more beautiful music,and the cultures from which they come, have more depth .
I'm not saying english is superior, but I'm saying being a native speaker (which usually means you sound different than those who speak it as a 2nd language and may have a lesser advanced vocabulary) in certain regions of the world, symbolizes something. I might have put too much emphasis on the language aspect, I mean more-so where you come from. Being an anglo-Westerner, as indication by how you speak english. I'm not arguing that english 'is' superior, I couldn't care less for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World