Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM

351 posts, read 499,741 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure Americans would, and I'm sure they might be misinformed on a lot of things, but I'm certain Europeans are. And of course Russians are, as they are the opposing side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
I am sure the teenagers in Ukraine care very much. But western Euros, Russians in Russia, and Americans probably do not care. I do like to follow politics and find it interesting and am in that age group. But most people my age outside Ukraine probably dont. I am sure the Russians follow it somewhat because they might get drafted into Military if Putin decides to go all in.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I'm 26 and consider myself well-informed about world news and politics. That said, I think the sheer magnitude of horrible, awful, messed up things in the news (and those not making it in the news cycle but no less tragic) makes it hard for people to stay informed about all things all the time. I think most people in my generation at least know the gist of what is happening in Ukraine, but that's because we're a generation that reads a lot of headlines.

My friends are more focused on Gaza right now, and watching that debate unfold on Facebook, there are lots of soundbites and less substance. There are less soundbites about Ukraine and even less about Syria. A lot of that is driven by the media. Gaza has become a familiar place to my generation, though having just returned home from Israel myself, the media coverage of the situation is iffy (and that's coming from both main "angles"). Ukraine - less familiar.

We didn't grow up with the Cold War so Russian political maneuvers are not in our line of sight. Many of us started paying attention to Putin more due to Sochi and the increasing violence toward GBLTQ Russians. Putin is a hard nut for me to crack - I can't begin to understand him in a vacuum, much less in the greater historical theater of Russian politics. I certainly hope that the plane being shot down will increase good, solid journalism in the area so more people can get a real sense of what is going on.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 PM

37 posts, read 53,641 times
In all honesty as a 29-year old American, not really.

It's not out of malice and it's not personal but the affects in the Ukraine and Russia do not play a role in my everyday life as it doesn't for most other individuals on this planet. So it's kind of hard to REALLY care.

It's just one of those things that you are informed about to a certain extent through the news but it gets glossed over by most people since we all have our own daily lives that we are trying to get through. However I don't think this is limited to just Americans, Europeans and Russians between 18-35 years of age.

Just my two cents...

Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
No. In my country(although in Europe) there are a lot of young Arabs . Their only (and obsessive) preoccupation is Gaza, Gaza and Gaza again. They don't give a damn about Ukraine (most of them don't even know where it is located, it could be on the Moon , for that matter). Notice they demonstrate against the shelling of Gaza, but they don't give a damn either about their moslem "comrades" of ISIS mass beheading people....

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
Wow.. spoke to some of my old friends earlier and they had no clue what was going on over there!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM

172 posts, read 274,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
Now I am well aware that the older generations of people from these countries know about the current affairs all too well.

However, for the United States at least, it appears that most people do not care about what is happening with the Ukraine (Unfortunately). This especially applies for the American Youth, I.E. people aged 18-35. I was wondering if the most of the European and Russian youth feel the same way.

If possible, I would like to hear from young people from all sides, Americans, Russians and Europeans!
I wish there were truly world peace and everybody were happy and rich and safe, etc. but, that's just not reality and America has enough problems. I don't think the US should get involved in foreign matters. I want us to stay as far away as possible.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM

261 posts, read 512,532 times
I can only speak for myself and im an American.
I just remember hearing about this plane going missing with a lot of Asian people on it.
Then I hear they found a plane that was apparently shot down by the Russian Government.
And they are at war now--but they are ALWAYS at war.
But ya, that's pretty much as far as it goes for me....

Old 08-01-2014, 02:19 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I can only speak for myself and im an American.
I just remember hearing about this plane going missing with a lot of Asian people on it.
Then I hear they found a plane that was apparently shot down by the Russian Government.
And they are at war now--but they are ALWAYS at war.
But ya, that's pretty much as far as it goes for me....
The plane had a lot of Dutch and other European citizens on it.

As for Ukraine it may not effect every persons daily life but the prospect of a shift in energy policy and a move towards less reliance on Russian energy may lead to higher prices in terms of heating and even manufacturing costs which hit everyone including 18 to 35 year olds. It also should be noted that most educated people are well aware of how easily Europe has fallen in to conflict in the past and most Europeans of whatever age are tired of wars and just want peace like everyone else.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 PM

261 posts, read 512,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The plane had a lot of Dutch and other European citizens on it.

As for Ukraine it may not effect every persons daily life but the prospect of a shift in energy policy and a move towards less reliance on Russian energy may lead to higher prices in terms of heating and even manufacturing costs which hit everyone including 18 to 35 year olds. It also should be noted that most educated people are well aware of how easily Europe has fallen in to conflict in the past and most Europeans of whatever age are tired of wars and just want peace like everyone else.
And I still dont know what this is about. Isn't this some how tired to Palestine and the middle east ? Everything seems to be these days. So what is going to happen. I just did some search and the President put sanctions on Russia now and says there economy has no chance of recovering Is that even remotely true ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World