Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM

107 posts, read 198,247 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing with the influx of European tourists this summer how different Europeans look compared with Americans. I know, perhaps this is reductionist thinking, but on the subway/bus I can spot a European family right away. They exude vitality in a way I almost never see in New York. With the exception of the Brits, they look, well, damn good. The Scandinavians are basically glowing. I can't stop looking at the Germans. Is it the fish oil? The free health care? The unprocessed foods? The flawless public transit? The long paid vacations? What is the secret to their fine, fine mojo?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM

120 posts, read 118,104 times
They're on vacation, that has a lot to do with it. Aren't you glowing when you're in Hawaii or on the beach in Mexico? Compared to the tired, bedraggled looking people on the NYC subway, heading home after work on a hot day?

Where I live, people eat unprocessed food, get plenty of fish oil, and have health care through their employers. They look fine, but anyone gets that glazed-eye look bustling around town on public transit or heading home from work. It's not a fair comparison to people on vacation who are well-rested and stress-free.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM

good point

Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 PM

351 posts, read 499,662 times
Well I don't think obesity on ANYONE would exude health + vitality, so maybe that's one reason.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
I also noticed Europeans generally look more healthy. Don't forget all the people talking to themselves in American cities either. Europeans are mentally healthier too.

I think it is a combination of a healthier diet, healthy food being far more affordable in Europe, general health care including dental care, more people walk or cycle instead of the car culture in the US, less stress because of less working hours and much more holidays, less pressure to compete in the rat race, less anxiety because of job loss because of a better social system, etc.

In general Europe dominates the US in everything, that's why Europeans look better and are much healthier.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
When I go home to San Siego for a visit the extremes strike me. I see lots and lots of extremly fit healthy people, more than here, but also more extremly unfit. Here I think more people fall somewhere in between. Plenty of people who are a bit overweight but few extremly obese. I think though San Diego has a fairly fit population by US standards.

People here do seem to be more active walking and biking more. Sunday long hikes or bike tours are tradition. As much as it annoying being stuck behind the 80 year old gramdma riding riding her bike down the street at a snails pace it is cool that the old people are taking their bike and not their car.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:20 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I've been noticing with the influx of European tourists this summer how different Europeans look compared with Americans. I know, perhaps this is reductionist thinking, but on the subway/bus I can spot a European family right away. They exude vitality in a way I almost never see in New York. With the exception of the Brits, they look, well, damn good. The Scandinavians are basically glowing. I can't stop looking at the Germans. Is it the fish oil? The free health care? The unprocessed foods? The flawless public transit? The long paid vacations? What is the secret to their fine, fine mojo?
BBC News - England 'healthier than the US'

BBC News - Why do Americans die younger than Britons?

England is 'healthier than the US' despite spending less on healthcare | Mail Online

Britons enjoy longer lives than Americans - Telegraph

Life expectancy: The American exception | The Economist

Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Too much stereotypcal statements going on here - not everybody in the US are fat slobs and not everybody in Europe are healthy athletes, I would suggest that a lot of people that the OP 'assumes' are American just becuase of the way they look are in fact Euro tourists and vice versa.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
It means, concerning those tourists mentioned by the OP, thay only young people in good heath travel outside,

Depends, I've seen lots of Americans around Barcelona, they look good, well dresse, in shape, but they do look rich, white, no minorities.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM

Yeah, I think, the comments that we Americans show the extremes of health and lack of health is spot on. You have all the organic food buying health nuts but they can afford to do this. Then you have the people who can't afford a healthy lifestyle and they are far more likely to be out of shape/obese/etc. There are so few incentives in American society for us ALL to be healthy and that deeply saddens me.

I guess what I'm picking up on is that Europeans have the middle ground covered. I'm no saying they are all top models--I'm not judging their sexiness--it's that a higher level of physical and mental health is much more within reach for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World