Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 PM

142 posts, read 239,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I noticed in America they were only on NOW 50 while we are on NOW 89
What's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Its a cd

Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 PM

142 posts, read 239,406 times
Quote:
Its a cd
What does that have to do with this?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Don't follow most music these days. Those are mostly pretty terrible examples.
This. But don't generalize, the problem is with the mainstream music only.

Anyways, historically:
UK music>USA music.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
After seeing a post by a member claiming this...

Lol agreed Copeland is a great drummer!

But currently, we still have high class talent that does well across the world, not all of the following are to my taste of course, but are still very popular:

Sam Smith, Disclosure, Sub Focus, One Direction, The 1975, Jake Bugg, Tinie Tempah, Dizzee Rascal, Cheryl Cole, Jess Glyne, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Clean Bandit, Bastille, Calvin Harris, Duke Dumont, Example, Gorgon City, Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, etc

Didn't recently Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith both take no.1 and no2. respectively in the US top charts IIRC?

I am not saying we are clearly the best or anything.. but we certainly compete at the top
by Irlinite
I like Ed Sheeran! He's becoming like Jason Mraz.

Isn't Adele, Jessie J, Leona Lewis Brits?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
I would guess American music, and pop culture in general is more well known across the world than British ones. I doubt many of those British artists listed are that well known, some are of course. And not all American ones are known either, but overall American music is getting more exposure than others.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
The only artists Americans have hear of is
-Disclosure...(maybe)
-Coldplay
-Ed Sheeran
-One Direction
-Arctic Monkey's
-Sam Smith
-Calvin Harris

Disclosure: Almost unknown here, except for that song with Sam Smith.
Coldplay: Among the most successful bands since early 2000's, I don't know how big they are globally. But they are very successful.
One Directions: Pretty big, biggest boy band currently.
Arctic Monkeys: Very little dent in America, doubt they are very global worldwide.
Sam Smith: He is still new, doing really well both sides. Don't know about the world. Remains to be seen.
Calvin Harris:Big music producer, but not a super star in that sense.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I like Ed Sheeran! He's becoming like Jason Mraz.

Isn't Adele, Jessie J, Leona Lewis Brits?
Yes, I didn't add them either

Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
In China, US pop musicians are fairly bankable and lots of young people know all about them. Lady Gaga is quite popular. Not as much the case with UK pop musicians.

Historically its been a game of constant change as to who's more popular, and aside from hip hop, which is inextricably African-American, most pop music from either nation has a fairly low amount of specific culture to it... For example, what is so distinctly British about One Direction, and what's so inextricably American about Lady Gaga?

The more real instrumentation that's involved, the greater the cultural retention, I find. Mumford and Sons and Jake Bugg sound British; Vampire Weekend sounds American. Last decade, Interpol and Franz Ferdinand were similarly-positioned, fashionable, poppy rock bands, but Interpol sounded distinctly American and FF sounded quite English (the band was formed in Glasgow, but by English art students).

Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
I noticed in America they were only on NOW 50 while we are on NOW 89
Those started in the UK sooner than the US and they never gained the same popularity... Now people just do digital downloads of individual tracks, too, so its less popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World