Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,029,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut2016 View Post
USA highly developed? the USA infrastructure is old, and it doesnt feel like a modern country in many ways. LAck of sidewalks in most areas, old train system/subway, big gap between rich and poor, traffic jam problems.

For me highly developed countries are Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium. Spain has a much better public transport system than the US.

On topic I would say the UK and the US. The US for organized crime and the UK for random violence.

Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:41 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,117,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Being that murder is extremely rare in any developed and robbery is much more common, let's see where you're most likely to be a robbery victim.

Oh, how shocking! Spain is so safe.
Whine all you want, it's a fact that Spain is far safer than the US.
If murder were extremely rare in any developed country as you'd like to believe, that would mean the US is not one of 'em.

Look at Spain ranking at the bottom of the list when it comes to homicide, whereas the US is up there with Burundi and Rwanda, lol.
Countries ranked by Intentional homicides (per 100,000 people)

Hey, check this graph out, bro!

You can always find some peace of mind thinking about the fact that you're one red shade safer than most African countries. Congrats!

Guess who has an overabundance of prisoners in jail? Could it be related to an overabundance of violence?
Highest to Lowest - Prison Population Total | World Prison Brief

Would you LOOk at that? Spain ranks 25th in the Global peace index!
The 25 Safest Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com

Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM

14,985 posts, read 23,758,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Off track? You mean we can't discuss guns in a thread about safety?
Sure but I know in the current events forum they shut down these 2nd amendment discussions because they get too heated, and then also it's not a "world" issue but a US politics issue.
Also that last post by the one dude just went into a tasteless personal attack, but maybe it's a private sexual flirting discussion who knows, I don't want to know.
But I don't care. I'm just here to say:
In Before the Lock!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It was pretty clear that he and I were exchanging jokes. .
It's too much information - there is private chat or special dedicated forums if you two want to discuss thick long logs. Knock yourselves out in wherever your particular interest lies.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 AM

3,289 posts, read 3,763,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
I'm not downplaying it.
Yeah, a few bombs went off in my town and city, it wasn't rare to hear about yet another explosion in the news and Miguel Ãngel Blanco's execution was burnt into everyone's memory. They were horrible, bloodthirsty, merciless, hateful people who loved planting fear into everyone's heart. They caused a lot of grief to countless families.

And despite this, ETA's death count in the 51 years they were operative is lower than the US's numbers in a single year, so it isn't really crazy to say Spain was safer even back then.

(The number of victims is said to be around 860 total.)

I don't think anyone's claiming there's a single place on Earth that's 100% safe, but there are countries that are way safer than others, where the chances of being harmed are lower.
I hear what you are saying. The killings in the US are ridiculously high and I believe out of control. However, you also need to keep in perspective how large the US is. Its a huge country.

I don't think Spain felt unsafe, but the US doesnt feel unsafe either. Yes I know there are statstics, and the statstics say that some countries are safer than others, but due to personal experiences, I have come to the conclusion that things can happen to you anywhere. Heck, I'm in Mexico all the time and I've never had problems there, not even with cops.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Yes I did. Did you run the numbers? Did you do any investigation into where the homicides are happening and who is committing them?

The people doing the killing and being killed in the US are not part of the developed world. They opt to declare themselves victims of oppression and behave much like third world people, including the way they choose to look after their own neighborhoods. There are other poor neighborhoods in the US that look nothing like the places where the vast majority of the homicides are taking place. They have turned their neighborhoods into war zones on their own accord.

If you don't live in those areas, your odds of being murdered are about the same as in Europe, despite the gun nuts and all their guns. It's cultural problem, not a gun problem.
No one disagrees that there is cultural element to the problem, but do you really think the bloodshed would be the same if your gun laws weren't so lax?

Who cares if you don't live in that area? Do you as Americans not care about all of the country?

Also by only focusing on " the others " you forget about accidental shootings and suicides. The fact that in 2015
a toddler, under 3, has shot someone once a week on average, sometimes fatally, should be a concern.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/12/gun...ce-stats-2015/

Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sure but I know in the current events forum they shut down these 2nd amendment discussions because they get too heated, and then also it's not a "world" issue but a US politics issue.
Also that last post by the one dude just went into a tasteless personal attack, but maybe it's a private sexual flirting discussion who knows, I don't want to know.
But I don't care. I'm just here to say:
In Before the Lock!
In a discussion about least safest first world countries, countering an argument that the US isn't that bad by comparing it to countries, that aren't first world, should be part of the discussion.

One should challenge the argument that " it depends where you are in the US ". We are discussing countries overall, not pockets of safety within a country.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In a discussion about least safest first world countries, countering an argument that the US isn't that bad by comparing it to countries, that aren't first world, should be part of the discussion.

One should challenge the argument that " it depends where you are in the US ". We are discussing countries overall, not pockets of safety within a country.
Great, then discuss it...why are you telling me this?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,029,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Whine all you want, it's a fact that Spain is far safer than the US.
If murder were extremely rare in any developed country as you'd like to believe, that would mean the US is not one of 'em.

Look at Spain ranking at the bottom of the list when it comes to homicide, whereas the US is up there with Burundi and Rwanda, lol.
Countries ranked by Intentional homicides (per 100,000 people)

Hey, check this graph out, bro!

You can always find some peace of mind thinking about the fact that you're one red shade safer than most African countries. Congrats!

Guess who has an overabundance of prisoners in jail? Could it be related to an overabundance of violence?
Highest to Lowest - Prison Population Total | World Prison Brief

Would you LOOk at that? Spain ranks 25th in the Global peace index!
The 25 Safest Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com

Now take out the black on black murders and black on black crime overall. Once you do that you'll see that you have to take more preventive action in Spain to avoid being mugged than you do about being a victim of any crime in the US. Stay out of high crime black neighborhoods and life here is great. Europe has no culture like this, but they are working hard to get there now.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:51 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,763,822 times
Quote:
Now take out the black on black murders and black on black crime overall. Once you do that you'll see that you have to take more preventive action in Spain to avoid being mugged than you do about being a victim of any crime in the US. Stay out of high crime black neighborhoods and life here is great. Europe has no culture like this, but they are working hard to get there now.
Yeah, because White people in the US never participate in crime. They don't comprise a majority of the killers who have terrorized the US with mass shootings. They don't steal, do drugs or kill others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World