Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,121,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I'm a racist? You lost all credibility. Speaking openly about race does not make one a racist. I suggest you reread the thread. Then read the definition of racist over and over until you understand it clearly. It's a nasty insult to throw around so easily

Muggings and pickpockets are the most common threat tourists face, the one they always need to be on high alert for.

Yes, very rare. The incident you linked was very sad, but extremely uncommon. OTH, most of the police shootings that the media has latched on to and that have incited mass protests, looting and "burning the ***** down" ended up involving armed and/or violent and dangerous people.
You never had any credibility to begin with.
I can tell you which ethnic group is responsible for most crime in Spain, but I also understand the problem is not in their ethnicity but the government being very inept when it comes to solving social inequality. For a number of reasons, these people don't get hired for jobs, so many of them resort to crime to get by, so I won't blame them to explain away our problem like you have, because I know where this problem is coming from. Solve the social inequality they face, and you will see a drastic decrease of crime in Spain. (Which I'll remind you, is already way lower than in the US ).
Your problem is very similar, so you thinking it's a race thing makes you a racist, yes.

The US's case is even more shameful, because you are in much better shape to make a good case study and invest to work on solving the problem, unlike Spain. Spain doesn't have as many resources, and we have many problems with social inequality as well, which result in those high robbery numbers. Yet our country has a lot less problems with crime in general. Go figure!
Can you name how many neighbourhoods exist in Spain where you should fear for your life?

And now you're talking of tourists? First of all, the thread is about safety in general. Stop nitpicking which crimes and sorts of people count when it comes to safety. Still, I know even tourists are safer in Spain because, yet again, they don't have to fear for their personal safety. They can walk around anywhere and all they might cry about is getting their money stolen, but it'll be very rare for them to endure any body harm. (And when they do suffer injuries, lo and behold, it turns out to be their fault. They get drunk and jump from balconies because YOLO).

So coming to Spain means you have to inform yourself about how to avoid being pickpocketed, which is really easy if you have half a working braincell btw, and you're free to explore as you wish. Going to the US means needing to get informed about conflictive areas, and never stepping foot anywhere near there. Yet you really want to believe you're safer?
And you're calling other people delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,036,694 times
Never mind, you're one who excuses bad behavior by expecting the government to fix people. Until people grasp that personal responsibility is first and foremost their lives, there is not much hope. Waiting around for governments to fix people is a fool's errand. The reason for most of the problems in poor US neighborhoods is that people are used to getting EVERYTHING from the government: Housing, food, medicine, money, cell phones, transportation and God knows what else. The have zero accountability in their personal lives, their souls have been destroyed by government. They have been taught that they cannot take care of themselves. Very sad.

The biggest lie in the world:

"Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old 08-20-2016, 11:50 AM

And your dismissal of pickpockets is a sad commentary. The perception that they are no big deal is exactly why they are a big deal. Being mugged IS an issue of safety. The reality is that pretty much everybody who has traveled to Europe more than a couple of times has a story to tell about attempted muggings, theft or having their car vandalized. You'll be hard pressed to find a visitor to America who has been witness to a murder, not on Google or television but in your real life.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:03 PM

8,852 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Quote:
The reality is that pretty much everybody who has traveled to Europe more than a couple of times has a story to tell about attempted muggings, theft or having their car vandalized.
Not me and plenty of people I know.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,108,979 times
Quote:
The reality is that pretty much everybody who has traveled to Europe more than a couple of times has a story to tell about attempted muggings, theft or having their car vandalized.

Pretty absurd. Maybe American tourists will tell such stories. It's probably the Ryan Lochte syndrome. How many Americans are visiting Europe and how many Europeans are visiting other European countries? I have never experienced muggings, theft or vandalized cars during my stays in other European countries. And I also don't know other Germans that have experienced such things. Of course such crimes exist, but the chance of getting a victim is very low.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:29 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Quote:
Actually, serial killers and mass murderers are almost evenly distributed across races. They are usually the outcome of mental illness, brain injury and drug addiction. Here's some interesting stats on serial killers that don't quite fit your narrative.

[url=http://www.statisticbrain.com/serial-killer-statistics-and-demographics/]Serial Killer Statistics and Demographics – Statistic Brain[/url]

Here's the stats on mass shooters.

[url=http://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/]• U.S.: mass shootings by race 1982-2016 | Statistic[/url]

Almost right in line with demographics and still very rare events.
Statistics, statistics, statistics...My point is- you can be a victim of crime anywhere in the US, not just if you enter a Black neighborhood. Other people participate in crime in this country, regardless of the percentages.

Are your chances of being a victim of crime higher in an area where there is more crime? Probably.

Not that hard to understand really.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,772,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Pretty absurd. Maybe American tourists will tell such stories. It's probably the Ryan Lochte syndrome. How many Americans are visiting Europe and how many Europeans are visiting other European countries? I have never experienced muggings, theft or vandalized cars during my stays in other European countries. And I also don't know other Germans that have experienced such things. Of course such crimes exist, but the chance of getting a victim is very low.
I used to work in international education for a university. I collected and compiled the statistics of all students abroad. It was very rare for the students to have issues in Europe. The #1 destination was Spain, we would have roughly 350 students there yearly.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,121,272 times
Quote:
Never mind, you're one who excuses bad behavior by expecting the government to fix people. Until people grasp that personal responsibility is first and foremost their lives, there is not much hope. Waiting around for governments to fix people is a fool's errand. The reason for most of the problems in poor US neighborhoods is that people are used to getting EVERYTHING from the government: Housing, food, medicine, money, cell phones, transportation and God knows what else. The have zero accountability in their personal lives, their souls have been destroyed by government. They have been taught that they cannot take care of themselves. Very sad.

The biggest lie in the world:

"Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
The problem in poor US neighborhoods is that there aren't many opportunities for the ones living there to better their conditions, because your country doesn't make it easy for those who've been born screwed to move upwards.

Food stamps and medical care helps them avoid an untimely death by starvation or sickness, but it won't do much to help them get out of poverty.

Quote:
And your dismissal of pickpockets is a sad commentary. The perception that they are no big deal is exactly why they are a big deal. Being mugged IS an issue of safety. The reality is that pretty much everybody who has traveled to Europe more than a couple of times has a story to tell about attempted muggings, theft or having their car vandalized. You'll be hard pressed to find a visitor to America who has been witness to a murder, not on Google or television but in your real life.
There's everyone and their mom telling you they had a safe experience while travelling Europe, lol.

Also, murders tend to happen where people don't see them. I think this is done on purporse?
For some reason murderers don't really like having witnesses... Who knows why.
Even if there's a witness, the murderer might make sure he meets an untimely death... They're really not fond of having an audience, are they?

Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Ryan Lochte is a loser.

Europeans never want to admit their problems. It's all peppermints and incense if you ask them. If you walk into a train terminal in Europe as a tourist or leave your car rental car parked in an unsecured lot in a highly touristic area, you and your car are red meat for thieves. Go park a rental car outside of a paid lot in Pisa or walk through Barcelona Sants without securing your belongings very carefully and let us know the outcome. It is what it is and it's not deniable. It's kind of like all the sexual assaults taking place. If we don't discuss them, they're not happening inside of the European mind. It would make an interesting case study.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
The problem in poor US neighborhoods is that there aren't many opportunities for the ones living there to better their conditions, because your country doesn't make it easy for those who've been born screwed to move upwards.

Food stamps and medical care helps them avoid an untimely death by starvation or sickness, but it won't do much to help them get out of poverty.
You have proven your lack of understanding. Scholarships, urban renewal zones, affirmative action, urban enterprise zones, out of district money pouring into inner city schools, free day care, it's absolutely endless and many people do get out to move up the ladder. The ones who stay have no respect for their neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World