Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:29 AM

10,650 posts, read 15,921,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
France and Italy have criminals operating IN tourist areas and it seems the police are powerless to stop it.
so does nearly every country in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,031,408 times
Not even close to the levels seen in France and Italy, until you venture into the third world. Granted, most are not violent, but the frequency is almost astonishing.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,118,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Odd, I thought that Spain and Italy were almost as bad.
Yes, I understand, after reading about the many mass shootings taking place in Spain and Italy and the amount of gun fanatics living in both countries one would be lead to believe that we're as bad.

Oh my bad, it actually doesn't happen.
You're just not very well informed.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:46 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,451,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I would be curious to know where he lived. I live in Italy and i have never witnessed violence or fist fights ahead of me. Why did it feel so uneasy in Italy and where did it feel uneasy? I have lived in this country for 18 years and aside from the sketchiest neighbourhoods of Napoli before they were cleaned up (around 2009-ish) i never felt in any kind of danger. Even in that case, the uneasyness came from perceived danger from all the stories i had heard.

Chances are that you were in a foreign country and maybe you didn't feel as much as ease or that you walked in a run down neighbourhood of the city without knowing whether it was safe or not
My friends were mugged in Florence walking home from a club (two different occasions, two different friend groups) and witnessed fights between Italian men and foreign men as well. My other friend, who is a girl, felt very vulnerable and uncomfortable due to how aggressive she said some of the Italian men were who were hitting on her. In Italy I've been to Napoli, Rome, Florence, Milan, Verona, and Bologna. The two cities where I felt uncomfortable were in both Napoli and Bologna. I think you were right though when you said I was walking down run-down neighborhoods in a foreign city without knowing if it was a safe area or not (and the stories my friends told me of some of their experiences were in the back of my mind, which I think added to my uneasiness).

Old 08-14-2016, 10:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,831,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Yes, I understand, after reading about the many mass shootings taking place in Spain and Italy and the amount of gun fanatics living in both countries one would be lead to believe that we're as bad.

Oh my bad, it actually doesn't happen.
You're just not very well informed.
Yeah, because not having gun fanatics and mass shootings automatically makes a country safe.

But of course, I'm the misinformed one.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:34 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,689,908 times
I think the fact that many Americans feel so insecure they feel the need to carry concealed, or in some places unconcealed guns in public places, makes America by their own peoples actions, a very dangerous place.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:29 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,118,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yeah, because not having gun fanatics and mass shootings automatically makes a country safe.

But of course, I'm the misinformed one.
You're misinformed for thinking we're almost as bad as the US because it's actually incorrect, yes. And no, despite you thinking you had a flawless logical lightbulb moment there, I'm not misinformed for pointing out that you're wrong, because, for one, I never even mentioned lacking gun fanatics and mass shootings automatically makes a country safe, but it makes it far far safer. Spain specifically isn't even dangerous.

Here's a list of concerns I do not have:
Hanging around campus and being shot in the face by a misogynist because he cannot get laid.
Going to the cinema and being shot in the face by some Lafayette gunman type.
Going to a club and being shot in the face by some dude who hates gays.
Hearing about some mass shooting and acknowledge the possibility of copy cats popping up soon after.
Generally suffering from or dying from a gunshot or knife wound, even though I live in a shaddy neighbourhood.

Even when we had a terrorist group blowing cars up every so often, Spain was way safer than the USA will ever be.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 08-15-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 02:06 PM

6,458 posts, read 8,122,940 times
Quote:
France and Italy have criminals operating IN tourist areas and it seems the police are powerless to stop it.
Violent criminals are actually operating in tourist areas in New Orleans. The Tenderloin in SF is also pretty sketchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpwNiRI3t4

Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,031,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Violent criminals are actually operating in tourist areas in New Orleans. The Tenderloin in SF is also pretty sketchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpwNiRI3t4
Sorry, but there is no place in the US where it is sport to prey on tourists. You can pull up isolated incidents all you want. OTH, thieves are totally rampant in highly touristic parts of France and Italy. Tourists get robbed EVERY SINGLE DAY in those places; they are targeted.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 AM

400 posts, read 419,263 times
Quote:
Sorry, but there is no place in the US where it is sport to prey on tourists. You can pull up isolated incidents all you want. OTH, thieves are totally rampant in highly touristic parts of France and Italy. Tourists get robbed EVERY SINGLE DAY in those places; they are targeted.
True. I got robbed twice; once in Paris the other in Granada. Lots of public begging in large european metros, I found.

That said, in the states you've got to be aware of your surroundings and avoid venturing into districts of the cities with high crime rates, especially at night. I've checked into hotels where the concierge would let me know what parts of the city I should avoid should I want to go for dinner at night. That said, I've never really felt unsafe there in all honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World