Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM

10,629 posts, read 15,952,359 times

Advertisements

Tibet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette La Bretonne View Post
whether you really want to live in a country where so many of the people are so deranged and frightened that they either refuse to answer the door after midnight or threaten the person at the door with a firearm.

Enjoy!
This person is the typical pseudo intellectual European who has absolutely no understanding of the USA, American culture or how things work here

Of course, if someone knocks on my door at midnight, I would probably not answer.

I don't know this person and it is very rude for someone to be knocking at my door at this time anyways. I really don't see any reason to answer the door and if they continue, I think greeting this person with a gun is not unreasonable.

We have something called crime here, there are some crazy people out there and home invasions are a reality. Sorry, we don't live in your paradisiacal country, where everyone is friendly any time of the night.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,992 times
I would think it would always be much more likely that some emergency is in the happening rather than someone wanting to kill or rob you. Even in the USA. I mean, half the people on this board spend their time explaining that their American city isn't as dangerous and ghetto as its represented, then turn around and say its very dangerous to justify pointing a gun at someone's face over a late night knocking.

A friend's father told me that last winter he heard some banging on his door in the middle of the night. It was -35 or something and some kids were stuck outside in extreme pain due to the temperature and having to walk home. All they wanted was to warm up for a few minutes before continuing on, and so he let them in. Civilized exchange, no need for a gun.

Several months ago a house across from my own was suddenly on fire. Do you think that the people of my neighbourhood shouldn't have informed their neighbours by knocking if this happened in the middle night? Out of respect for their sleep? Should they then have guns pointed at their face if they did so anyways? Does that not seem ridiculous? You can use the 'better safe than sorry' perspective on literally any situation, but at some point it becomes paranoia.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,370,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowellnoob View Post
Thank you for these few answers.

theunbrainwashed I recognize Singapore as one of the most free countries in the world. Of course some of the laws are weird, but which of our countries do not have them? Am I a troll? Many statistics says that this country is so. But as I said, I'd love to hear an opinion of someone from these countries.
Singapore can be restrictive or free depends the way you look at it. Been living in this country for 9 years now.

It is restrictive because of many weird laws. Yes, you can't chew bubble gum here but you can't buy bubble gum here either...so that protects you to violate the law. Cars, houses, liquors, wine and cigarette are highly regulated here, unless you are too rich, then you'll have them right away. If you are accustomed to having a car, landed house with huge yard, and love partying every night...then bring a lots of money, or make a lot of money here. Car for instance here is 4-5 times the price of the US or Europe. It is a small island so you can pretty figure out why need all these regulations.

- don't eat at the MRT/buses/taxis
- don't spit
- don't litter (there are trash bins in any corner here anyway so throw that f**ing cig butt in the right bin)
- smoke only on the designated areas.
- don't hold a union or street rally
- finish the house party on or before 10PM during weeknights. (or else, police will knock on your door)

Just be civilized then you'll be fine here.

On the other hand, if you are a businessman with a sound capital to invest, Singapore is the best place on earth for you. You can put up a business in less than 10 days (close to no bureaucracy), with less taxes than any other countries. It's a freedom.

Singapore is known for having good multi-racial harmony. There is no religion/ethnic that controls the country, purely government. So it's a freedom!

Prostitution is legal but not the drugs.

So there!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,820,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Singapore can be restrictive or free depends the way you look at it. Been living in this country for 9 years now.

It is restrictive because of many weird laws. Yes, you can't chew bubble gum here but you can't buy bubble gum here either...so that protects you to violate the law. Cars, houses, liquors, wine and cigarette are highly regulated here, unless you are too rich, then you'll have them right away. If you are accustomed to having a car, landed house with huge yard, and love partying every night...then bring a lots of money, or make a lot of money here. Car for instance here is 4-5 times the price of the US or Europe. It is a small island so you can pretty figure out why need all these regulations.

- don't eat at the MRT/buses/taxis
- don't spit
- don't litter (there are trash bins in any corner here anyway so throw that f**ing cig butt in the right bin)
- smoke only on the designated areas.
- don't hold a union or street rally
- finish the house party on or before 10PM during weeknights. (or else, police will knock on your door)

Just be civilized then you'll be fine here.

On the other hand, if you are a businessman with a sound capital to invest, Singapore is the best place on earth for you. You can put up a business in less than 10 days (close to no bureaucracy), with less taxes than any other countries. It's a freedom.

Singapore is known for having good multi-racial harmony. There is no religion/ethnic that controls the country, purely government. So it's a freedom!

Prostitution is legal but not the drugs.

So there!

I can almost tolerate any dissing about Singapore. I mean haters will be there. Just dont call my country a hellhole..

Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 AM

3,909 posts, read 6,718,681 times
If you want freedom, you come to Brazil.

If you want zero earthquakes, zero hurricanes, and very few tornadoes (mostly restricted to the far south), you come to Brazil.

But if you are afraid that you are going to be mugged, robbed or murdered in Brazil, well, just don't come. 99% of the foreigners who live in Brazil never got robbed. 1% got robbed. During the World Cup, the thousands of foreign tourists felt pretty safe in Brazil. But if you are afraid to be among the 1% then stay where you are, and miss the freedom and everything else that Brazil has to offer.

Last edited by MalaMan; 08-11-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,880,344 times
By the way, the American government is pretty well known for spying on everybody, including American citizens, so I doubt that Danish government is so tyrannical as you pointed out.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 14,225,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
By the way, the American government is pretty well known for spying on everybody, including American citizens, so I doubt that Danish government is so tyrannical as you pointed out.
The US is worth it if the objective is to set up and manage your own business, and filing a Schedule C (look it up); depending on the type of business, the system at the federal level allows a high degree of freedom in terms of ease, simplicity, effective tax rates, and tax incentives for long-term saving (though not the tax code itself, which is excruciatingly complex, but no more so than the typical European country and at a much, much lower effective tax rate, like 50% vs. 17%). I know plenty of Italians who very recently have come to the US, with bags full of money, and have started businesses in the US, and business is booming.

One poster suggested seeking a country with a high degree of corruption and achieving freedom through bribes, and indeed the first region I thought of is South America (e.g. Brazil), or eastern Europe, its mirror image in certain respects.

But dodging that bullet becomes as tiresome as dodging the bullet of bureaucracy and taxation in western Europe.

That is why I suggested that any plan such as the OP describes would have to be short term, or a series of short-runs, which too is life, and that his concept of freedom will probably change over time, by the natural order of things, if he survives.

An ancient expression: It would have been better to die in battle while still young.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-11-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
If you want freedom, you come to Brazil.

If you want zero earthquakes, zero hurricanes, and very few tornadoes (mostly restricted to the far south), you come to Brazil.

But if you are afraid that you are going to be mugged, robbed or murdered in Brazil, well, just don't come. 99% of the foreigners who live in Brazil never got robbed. 1% got robbed. During the World Cup, the thousands of foreign tourists felt pretty safe in Brazil. But if you are afraid to be among the 1% then stay where you are, and miss the freedom and everything else that Brazil has to offer.
Dude, you speak too much "besteira". You must be a Government sponsored online troll because your statements don't make any sense.

As someone who has lived in both Brazil and the USA, I can guarantee that we have way more freedom here in the USA.

Remember what happened to the people who were protesting before the World Cup, many were beaten and abused by the police- Brazil is becoming more and more like a dictatorship, especially with this stupid Commie-Marxist Dilma Administration.

Only 1% of foreigners have been robbed? Sorry, but this is bull****! I have been to several parts of Brazil, most recently in Praia da Pipa in Rio Grande do Norte, which is supposed to be one of the best beaches in Brazil and the crime there only gets worse, I know several cases of foreigners that were robbed in different parts of Brazil, so 1% is absolutely ridiculous.

I have family members that live in RN and I can remember just off the top of my head, at least 10 cases of foreigners that were murdered in RN or died in other bizarre circumnstances in the last 5 years. One in particular, the murder case of Californian James Harper, someone I met while vacationing there.

If you want to read about it, here is the link:

Dono de restaurante é assassinado em Pipa | O Jornal de Hoje

Brazil is not only a dangerous and violent society but only 8% of all the murder cases are solved. By the way, James Harper's case is still unsolved.

Stop this shameless and unrealistic promotion of Brazil, it does not make sense and it does not make Brazil look good.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:50 PM

3,909 posts, read 6,718,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Dude, you speak too much "besteira". You must be a Government sponsored online troll because your statements don't make any sense.

As someone who has lived in both Brazil and the USA, I can guarantee that we have way more freedom here in the USA.

Remember what happened to the people who were protesting before the World Cup, many were beaten and abused by the police- Brazil is becoming more and more like a dictatorship, especially with this stupid Commie-Marxist Dilma Administration.

Only 1% of foreigners have been robbed? Sorry, but this is bull****! I have been to several parts of Brazil, most recently in Praia da Pipa in Rio Grande do Norte, which is supposed to be one of the best beaches in Brazil and the crime there only gets worse, I know several cases of foreigners that were robbed in different parts of Brazil, so 1% is absolutely ridiculous.

I have family members that live in RN and I can remember just off the top of my head, at least 10 cases of foreigners that were murdered in RN or died in other bizarre circumnstances in the last 5 years. One in particular, the murder case of Californian James Harper, someone I met while vacationing there.

If you want to read about it, here is the link:

Dono de restaurante é assassinado em Pipa | O Jornal de Hoje

Brazil is not only a dangerous and violent society but only 8% of all the murder cases are solved. By the way, James Harper's case is still unsolved.

Stop this shameless and unrealistic promotion of Brazil, it does not make sense and it does not make Brazil look good.

You are pathetic, Sir.

Your "guesstimates" are ridiculous.

When I say that 1% of foreigners who live in Brazil get robbed, I'm EXAGGERATING the number by far, for ABOVE.

MUCH LESS THAN 1% of foreigners who live in Brazil get robbed. In fact, it's probably less than 0.5%

So you say you can remember the cases of 10 foreigners who got killed while VISITING the state of Rio Grande do Norte in the past 5 years?

I really doubt you can show me proof of those 10 cases, but even if you're right, do you know how many foreigners visited the state of Rio Grande do Norte in the past 5 years? WAY MORE THAN 100 THOUSAND. That means that the murdered ones are less than one tenth of one thousandth of the foreign visitors.

Even if those 10 cases that you claim were of foreign people who LIVE in Rio Grande do Norte, not just visitors, that would still be way less than 1% of foreign people who live in Rio Grande do Norte. There are way more than 5,000 foreigners living in Rio Grande do Norte.

BUT THE ULTIMATE PROOF THAT BRAZIL IS A SAFE COUNTRY IS:

Over half a million foreigners visited Brazil during the World Cup.

Where are the reports of those people getting robbed or murdered?

WHERE???

Show me! Can you?

So much for your hatred of Brazil. I come here with the FACTS and the NUMBERS, you come with nothing more than your absurd claims.

I won't even comment your pathetic claims about people getting "beaten and abused" when protesting against the World Cup, because 1 - In fact, the anarchist "black bocks" have made widespread destruction of public and private property WITHOUT proper reaction from the police, because in Brazil there is even EXCESSIVE democracy sometimes; and 2 - Dilma and the federal government have nothing to do with how the police of the STATES act, it's a subject that you need to ask the governors of the states, and the most repressive police during the protests was the police of the State of Sao paulo, that has a governor from a right-wing party that opposes the federal government)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World