Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,534 times

Advertisements

So my mom is full white (German, English, Hungarian) and my dad is full Armenian. Lots of people think Armenians are Middle Eastern (which they're not) so I don't know. People say they are considered white while other think otherwise.

So if Armenians are white, does that mean i'm full? What would you consider me?
Just curious

heres a pic of me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/986733...685093/sizes/l

heres a pic of my armenian dad and grandfather.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/...20f83289_c.jpg

they always are mistaken for italian.

thanks guys. just curious

Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,380,855 times
You are white. Caucasian.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,833,980 times
Middle Eastern people are Caucasian. Many of them are considered white. If someone is half Armenian and German they should not be listed as 'mixed' (same thing with Lebanese, Assyrian, etc). Because their children would usually look an average white person. The Kardashians are the very few who have an 'exotic' or 'mixed' look, but that's because their father looked rather Indian for an Armenian (brown skin) and the mother looks like she's the Armenian one (dark features, olive light skin).

And yes, you do look Italian or perhaps specifically, Serbian or Croatian (all have attractive looking men). But you are a very 'regular' white looking folk. What's your eye colour? I'm guessing hazel...?

You're kinda cute btw.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,472,271 times
You kind of remind me of James Franco, like a younger brother.

As for 'white' it is a made up term...that has only become important in the 20th century due to an American obsession with race that evolved differently than in Europe. For a good while, only Nordics and Anglos were considered 'white' to Americans. People that looked like you (more Southern or Eastern European) were not white. In Europe, people didn't identify with 'white' (as it wasn't a thing)...to them the French and Germans and Polish were all people derived from different races. Germans had an obsession over Aryans, not 'whiteness'. Over the years though, white has grown to become a more inclusive term, defined more by what it isn't than what it is (which is why people like you end up asking these questions). To people white isn't black, it isn't Asian and it isn't Native American. Everyone else gets stuck in the ambiguity of a word that has no scientific or objective basis. Your dad's side, while they might look like Southern Europeans, are West Asian...and West Asians have a completely different history and mixed of peoples (tribes) and civilizations than Southern Europeans.

To the average American, you look white (under current definition of whiteness)...whether you want to embrace that or focus more embracing your mixed heritage, is up to you. My family is technically white, but no one calls themselves 'white', we are just Mexican. As for me, I'll acknowledge my European heritage/roots, but I'm not about to bleach away my culture for 'white'-ness. It's a social construction, and like any social construction, we can choose to partake in them (therefore cementing them) or not (therefore weakening them.)

Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,876,647 times
As Rudy said: white in Europe isn't as important as it is in the US.
Europeans never use "white" to define themselves: I'm Italian, I'm European and then I am white.
None of the above forcefully excludes the other: I have a friend whose father is from Benin and his mother is fully-blooded Italian and he's black. Yet nobody ever called him "black,afro-Italian, beninese-Italian": he's like me, he's Italian since he speaks my language as a native speaker, he thinks, watches and does what I usually do.
Sure, to someone who doesn't know him he might appear a foreigner at first sight (and that's normal after all).
Now, obviously there are people obsessed with race in Europe too, but "europeaness" (and subsequently your conception of being "white") is defined by cultural value.
A WASP could be the whitest person ever, with blonde hair and ice-blue eyes, yet he would never be considered a European since he doesn't belong culturally to Europe (and be it clear: there's nothing "bad" with what I am saying).

Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,325,247 times
Nobody really cares except racists.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,480,188 times
yeah

Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 AM

25 posts, read 20,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextkd369 View Post
So my mom is full white (German, English, Hungarian) and my dad is full Armenian. Lots of people think Armenians are Middle Eastern (which they're not) so I don't know. People say they are considered white while other think otherwise.

So if Armenians are white, does that mean i'm full? What would you consider me?
Just curious

heres a pic of me:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/986733...685093/sizes/l

heres a pic of my armenian dad and grandfather.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3742/...20f83289_c.jpg

they always are mistaken for italian.

thanks guys. just curious

O.K., you are firstly Caucasoid and you are White too. Nevertheless, I wouldn't classify you into the "Strictly White" or full European descent. Your folks could easily pass for Meds (Italians or Greeks).

Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,346,769 times
White is a social construct, a catch all word when compared to other "races".

Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,949,660 times
I think saxonworld can answer you this question if he is still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World