Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most fashion-conscious city?
Tokyo 6 23.08%
NYC 3 11.54%
London 2 7.69%
Paris 11 42.31%
Melbourne 0 0%
Toronto 0 0%
Montreal 1 3.85%
Hong Kong 0 0%
Milan 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 PM

360 posts, read 982,662 times

Advertisements

Out of all these cities, which one do you think is the most fashion-conscious one?

Of course you might argue that styles vary across each cities so its difficult to compare but in the general sense of the word, which city does its people tend to take pride in their dressing and style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
No Los Angeles, Monte Carlo, Shanghai, Seoul and Sydney

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No Los Angeles, Monte Carlo and Sydney
I wouldn't go as far as to say that these three cities are fashion-forward.

LA might have a huge celebrity culture thing going on but it doesn't mean that the average people there bother to dress up. During those times I was there, casual wear like plain jeans and tee shirts seems to be the norm.

Similarly, the same thing applies to Monte Carlo and Sydney which represent a gambling and business hub respectively.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
LA was my choice, it really should be on the poll.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Seoul certainly should be on any list of fashion conscious cities from my experience. If it was on there It would get my vote. Of the list I suppose Hong Kong. Without trying to stereotype too much, It just seems that North East Asians generally are more fashion conscious than Australians and Europeans.

I have never been to North America, so are unable to comment.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Seoul certainly should be on any list of fashion conscious cities from my experience. If it was on there It would get my vote. Of the list I suppose Hong Kong. Without trying to stereotype too much, It just seems that North East Asians generally are more fashion conscious than Australians and Europeans.
I don't deny that Koreans are pretty fashion conscious. But when I was in Seoul, people seem to be dressed in the same kind of style everywhere I went (just like plastic surgery). Their fashion sense did not come across as varied and interesting as say, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Tokyo is crazy with fashion.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 AM

266 posts, read 674,325 times
Tokyo, by far. For such a uniquely mono-ethnic city the resultant subcultures that naturally upend it are endless. Tokyo, and to a lesser extent London are where the big shot designers go to get 'inspiration' from the the street styles the kids are wearing these days.

For London they have a turnaround from design-to-store of 4 weeks, thanks to easy access to sweatshops in Eastern Europe and former Empire links to Bangladesh. In other cities the range changes every 3 months, hence the 'seasons' of Autumn/ Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, whilst in London the range in the High Street chains changes monthly, propped up by strong sales -women spend about $2500, and men $1200 a year on new clothes, way above the EU or US averages. Even despite the economic downturn people prefer to cut down on food than on clothing.

This allows the buyers to take much more risks, employing local and student designers. Thus what you see in street-style very quickly becomes across-the-board commercial within a few weeks. This can have it's pitfalls, for example at some stage in 2008 the only clothing you could buy was retro Eighties, across the board. The 'London look' is often branded as fearless - it can also be disastrously loud. But one has to say, it's far more daring than the numbers across the channel where the Parisians splurge out on a few designer items and wear it with style - but are resolutely more conservatively dressed - dare I say it- bland, though elegant.

For Tokyo the 4 week turnover is halved, thanks to it's proximity to factory China. Just as high spending and the added adage of 'self-style' in the culture that allows people to come up with as crazy, bland or individualised looks as one likes rather than just following the trends. Whereas in London people constantly follow the teenagers trends (where almost every fashion 'movement' ultimately starts), in Tokyo people come up with their own regardless of what the teenagers are creating. Also whilst London employs local designers and students, Tokyo actively headhunts it's shoppers, with some stores watching out for repeat offendors / spenders, usually teenage girls, and inviting them to design a range of the New Ugly.

In short, London is full of hipsters - a term that's obsolete in the city as most young people dress that way, from the estates to the boarding schools (and regardless of whether they have an undying interest in the Korean New Wave or Pop Idol 2014). Head out of the tourist/ business centre and you'll see it everywhere:

www.brandish.tv

http://etralalondon.blogspot.co.uk/2...rick-lane.html

whilst Tokyoites wear whatever the hell they want... a tradition dating back to the 80s that pretty much started the global 'hipster' movement of today.

In a way the 'self style' element is only really made acceptable in Tokyo due to it's enormous size. The anonymity accorded in a city of 39 million makes it far easier to start such a 'movement', back in the early 90s.

http://www.wgsn.com/blogs

http://earthtoiris.com,

Last edited by smool; 08-14-2014 at 03:00 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
I don't deny that Koreans are pretty fashion conscious. But when I was in Seoul, people seem to be dressed in the same kind of style everywhere I went (just like plastic surgery). Their fashion sense did not come across as varied and interesting as say, Hong Kong and Tokyo.
Well i have never been to Tokyo, I knew they were fashion crazy, but had never seen it first hand. Still I think they are more so in Seoul than London and that is from the personal experience of living in both.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Fashion in London is "fun and games", in Paris it is deadly serious business with a pretentious twist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World