Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:45 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,874,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Beijing is much bigger than DC and has more cultural influence. It is more like Boston+DC+LA (capital, best universities, entertainment industry).
Yes, I don't disagree. Beijing has a history and population that can't compare to DC. I was mostly thinking in terms of politics and global influence, as far as those go, I don't think any other city on the planet compares to DC and Beijing. I've never been to DC, but I spent a week in Beijing a few years ago. To be honest, I hated the city. The historical stuff was great, but the city was depressing to me. It's nothing like any other Chinese city. I do prefer northern Chinese cuisine to other Chinese cuisines, but that's a conversation for a different time. Outside of CCTV, I think other cities in China are just as influential in entertainment. Beijing is nowhere near the global reach of LA when it comes to entertainment. The universities compared to Boston is probably a good connection I didn't think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,868,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Montevideo resembles Buenos Aires in architecture... How can you compare it to Calgary. Calgary looks just like a modern NA city
The same with BA and Philly...orange to apples
Did you read headline properly? It was about comparing northern hemisphere places with the southern ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Auckland - London? is that because of London's volcanic landscape, and two mangrove lined harbours?

Wellington - Glasgow? Would that be due to Glasgow having a harbour with steep bush clad hills, and lots of wooden houses?
Who's talking about the geological aspects? You're being way too particular.

They're oceanic cities with mainly medium density, European style architecture (barring a few skyscrapers here and there) that are on the opposite spheres. I didn't look beyond that.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:04 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,547,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

Who's talking about the geological aspects? You're being way too particular.

They're oceanic cities with mainly medium density, European style architecture (barring a few skyscrapers here and there) that are on the opposite spheres. I didn't look beyond that.
European style architecture in NZ? - where would that be then?

Apart from the architecture not being the same, South America would probably have better climate matches. For NZ, Dunedin and Christchurch would be a better climate match, although calling Christchurch " the London of the South", is even more ridiculous than calling Wellington " the Glasgow of the South".

Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,868,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
European style architecture in NZ? - where would that be then?

Apart from the architecture not being the same, South America would probably have better climate matches. For NZ, Dunedin and Christchurch would be a better climate match, although calling Christchurch " the London of the South", is even more ridiculous than calling Wellington " the Glasgow of the South".
I just made a facile comparison, as they are both prominent, though modest-sized, cities of their perspective spheres, which are also in the anglophone. South America isn't an English-speaking continent. I didn't really think of them as "London/Glasgow of the south".

Wait, I thought NZ had European-style architecture in its cities? These look classical European to me (excluding the skyscrapers):

Old 04-11-2017, 04:10 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,547,782 times
Skyscrapers? - they just look like office blocks to me.

Those photos don't look particularly Eoropean to me - I'm not getting a sense that they could easily be Copenhagen, Athens or London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World