Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 29,508 times

Advertisements

Guajara and danielsa, thanks for your input and answers.

For the rest of you, Im very concerned about your reading and understanding skills...

For the guy from Netherlands and anyone else who wants to learn about the LIES from the Dalai Lama:

News Checker: Xizang (Tibet) Was not A Part of China Before 1950s? Shut up!

Lets also allow Hawaii and Alaska to separate from the USA, huh? How about Saipan? American Samoa? Or Puerto Rico?

Also, NYC average salary about 80,000USD/year

Cheyenne, WY a bit over 40,000USD/year, and there are many places where per capita income would be lower.

If you travel 20km outside of Shanghai, wages will be on par with the ones listed for Lhasa, and in the countryside, much lower.

I guess that the whole world ought to be divided into city - countries based on salary, eh?

Lastly, the Tibetans when asked will say that they are Chinese -Tibetan, and Tibetan life has improved a lot under the Chinese. Lifespan has nearly doubled, birth related deaths have fallen drastically, wages are higher, and they are not serfs anymore! Most people dont realize the Dalai Lama is a fallen dictator, seeking a way to get control over his former stomping grounds once again and he uses our Western pity (and greenbacks) to fuel his selfish efforts!

If people really wanted to scream for separatism, they should concern themselves more with Xinjiang, but hey, its full of Muslims, so let the Chinese deal with it so we dont have to.

All you guys kissing the dalai lamas arse, and buying prayer beads, and prayer flags and getting tattoos in Chinese characters meaning "love", and calling things "feng shui" need to pull their head out of your you-know-where. Buddhism has done a great marketing job in the West, Ill tell ya!

But hey, we're all free people, and if you want to follow a religion then I don't care. Just don't act like your **** don't stink, and like your opinion is so goddamned important. Because in the end, none of our opinions is gonna make the slightest difference on this topic, as the CCP is gonna do whatever its gonna do.

Oh yes, and finally, for anyone who cares to know, the only country with all of its land above 1000m elevation is LESOTHO, BUT THATS WASNT MY QUESTION ANYWAYS!!!! Again, you guys need to go back to 3rd grade reading class...

Im out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

36,975 posts, read 38,997,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
or the maps of the Song/Ming dynasty (960 - 1644)
Quote:
China = the Land East where the two major rivers, Yellow and Yangtze almost come together.
I'm sympathetic to an independent Tibet and Uyghurstan, but does the cutoff of 1644 really work as an argument for borders for many other countries? The Treaty of Westphalia is pretty close to what the borders of Europe were of the time, so should people in Europe along those grounds for what the borders are? It gets even trickier for the Americas and the Turkish-dominated Ottoman Empire. Denmark owning Norway and Southern Sweden? Germany and Italy broken up into pieces? The Balkans, Greece, Bulgaria, North Africa, the Arabian peninsula and much of Romania as part of Turkey/the Ottoman Empire? Sardina, Belgium, and the southern third of Italy as part of Spain? Modern day Finland, Estonia, and Latvia as part of Sweden? Going further out, should the Dutch East Indies company still be in possession of most of Indonesia?

Really, if I were going to go revisionist, I'd go with the interbellum years, free the colonies and go from there.

Also, the highlighted map you have is missing one of the two major rivers you're citing.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-20-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 AM

10,629 posts, read 15,952,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Also, the highlighted map you have is missing one of the two major rivers you're citing.
No, you can cleary see the Yellow river North, just outside the Green part of the map.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnmtman View Post
1.For the guy from Netherlands and anyone else who wants to learn about the LIES from the Dalai Lama

2.Lets also allow Hawaii and Alaska to separate from the USA, huh? How about Saipan? American Samoa? Or Puerto Rico?

3.NYC average salary about 80,000USD/year, Cheyenne, WY a bit over 40,000USD/year, and there are many places where per capita income would be lower.
If you travel 20km outside of Shanghai, wages will be on par with the ones listed for Lhasa, and in the countryside, much lower.

4.I guess that the whole world ought to be divided into city - countries based on salary, eh?

1.I'm atheist and against religion, i don't listen to the Dalai Lama

2.Sure, no problem for me but only if China signs independence for Uyghurstan, Tibet and Taiwan.

3.Still not the triple+ differences you see in China.
People living 20 km outside Shanghai are making a lot more than people in Lhasa

4.Like i said before when there is a difference of more than 200% in average income and one group has less rights than others in A country then that country should be split up.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
1.I'm atheist and against religion, i don't listen to the Dalai Lama

2.Sure, no problem for me but only if China signs independence for Uyghurstan, Tibet and Taiwan.

3.Still not the triple+ differences you see in China.
People living 20 km outside Shanghai are making a lot more than people in Lhasa

4.Like i said before when there is a difference of more than 200% in average income and one group has less rights than others in A country then that country should be split up.
Man, you seem pretty confident and happy in your ways. Keep at it, eh? And stay on that stuff youre smoking, its working... You oughta start another thread just for this topic since youre so passionate about it. But thanks for hijacking my thread with this important issue anyways.

Top of the day to you, from the Peoples Republic of China (including Tibet, Xinjiang, Taiwan and HK)!

HNMTMAN

Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 AM

China is a developing country so its not very fair to compare to the USA, but the figures you cited are a little ridiculous. see here:

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://bber.unm.edu/econ/us-pci.htm

Median household income for Maryland 70,000USD, Mississippi 36,000USD.
Per capita income for Washington DC 45,000USD, Mississippi 20,000USD.

China's 2011 average salary's (regrettably Tibet is not shown but a simple google search will show the figures to be about 3,200rmb per month) shown here:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_15555503.htm

Lets look at this:

china statistical data - china.org.cn

We can see that the cost of living is quite similar across China, outside of 1st tier port towns. Seems logical, no?. A great example would also be to look at real estate. And yes, if you go 20km outside of Shanghai, you will find people who still make very low wages, and the average will be nothing like you're thinking. In fact:

Wages in China | China Labour Bulletin

Aside from port towns, the average income and minimum wages remain fairly uniform. In fact, where I live in China the average salary is LOWER than in Tibet! There went your Tibet vs PRC wages conspiracy logic.

Henan Labor Costs - China Manufacturing and Investment Guide

Average salary of Tibetans surpassed 3,000 yuan -- Chinatibetnews.com

Indeed, a large income gap is a point of frustration to many Chinese currently, however it has nothing to do with China vs Tibet, and the solution is most certainly not to split up one successful country into smaller pieces. Nonetheless, would Tibet even survive economically on its own? I dont think so... Average altitude of 4000 and something meters, only tourism would be viable. Everybody else not in a tourism related sector would still be goat-herders and farmers just like today, only in drastically worse conditions since the "country" would be in the gutter financially. Or do you want to send OUR tax money to "free Tibet"?!

Overall, I dont like the CCP any more than the next guy. However, the country has come leaps and bounds, and has ALSO managed to bring places that have never been out of poverty in the history of their existence into a more modern society and way of life. I am sure that things will continue to improve as well.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnmtman View Post
1.Indeed, a large income gap is a point of frustration to many Chinese currently, however it has nothing to do with China vs Tibet, and the solution is most certainly not to split up one successful country into smaller pieces.

2.Nonetheless, would Tibet even survive economically on its own? I dont think so... Average altitude of 4000 and something meters, only tourism would be viable. Everybody else not in a tourism related sector would still be goat-herders and farmers just like today, only in drastically worse conditions since the "country" would be in the gutter financially. Or do you want to send OUR tax money to "free Tibet"?!
1.You only really count in China if you're Han-Chinese

2.Tibet as a independent country would increase tourism! Why do so many people keep thinking only people working in the tourist sector gets better from tourism

Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 AM

List of Chinese administrative divisions by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out Ranking of Chinese provinces by GDP per capita in main years...

Tibet was in the top 10 richest before the 90's, since 1995 not higher than number 26

Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,948,301 times
Ethiopia. I would say around 75% of the area is greater than 1000m. Although the country has some extremely low points too.

It's got the 5th highest capital city in the world, the highest airport in Africa, and most of the settlements are on high land

Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Ethiopia. I would say around 75% of the area is greater than 1000m. Although the country has some extremely low points too.

It's got the 5th highest capital city in the world, the highest airport in Africa, and most of the settlements are on high land
duuuuude.... do you even read? man, you guys are rough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World