Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:22 PM

207 posts, read 492,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Yes, Many people that live here in US and you consider Russian, are not Russian at all, they simply come from Soviet Block where they speak Russian fluently. The relationship between an immigrant and his past country is for psychologists to explain. Some hate Russia and everything that is Russian, others are normal.

I have lived in US for over 20 years, and so I am very different from a Russian in Russia, we have grown apart as I became an American.

Crimea was always Russian and very few people from that area dispute the fact. Crimea is Russia, always has been like that.

As far as meeting a Russian girl, I would like to do exactly that. Chances of her being a Putin supporter are the same as meeting an American girl that support Obama.
As of lately, Obama is very unpopular among nearly everyone in the United States. Even American girls dislike him now. So are you saying that me meeting a Putin supporter in the United States is unlikely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 04:26 PM

731 posts, read 1,574,467 times
This girl is a foreign exchange I suppose, she had to take a sport to comply with her scholarship. My son told me that Russians are in general not happy about the way the war/coldwar? ended. There is a book " Why They Act Like Russians", (he has the book, I don't remember the author).The CFR presented a expose'on the book content after WWII ended. She doesn't like me, so I don't ask her anything. She could still be mad because I called Obama a communist... My sons were like but Ca Cera Cera (you know Doris Day )

Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,618,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There was this Russian girl when I was in Paris and there was a conversation about Ukraine on lunch table,and she said "Crimea is ours".
After the Falklands War, I knew a woman in CHILE, who said "The Malvinas are ours!". People do not always have an objective view of their own nationhood.

A month ago, I was in Odessa, and the people I talked to didn't really have strong feelings about whether they were Russian or Ukrainian. They saw their country go from USSR to Ukaine, and if it swings back again, that is not thought of as a big deal. Of course there are zealots, and they will be the ones to have their say in the matter, but the general citizenry would rather have peace and security and prosperity, under whatever flag.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-30-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 04:55 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,281,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
After the Falklands War, I knew a woman in CHILE, who said "The Malvinas are ours!". People do not always have an objective view of their own nationhood.

A month ago, I was in Odessa, and the people I talked to didn't really have strong feelings about whether they were Russian or Ukrainian. They saw their country go from USSR to Ukaine, and if it swings back again, that is not thought of as a big deal. Of course there are zealots, and they will be the ones to have their say in the matter, but the general citizenry would rather have peace and security and prosperity, under whatever flag.
And that's the reason the *zealots* hate/feel suspicious about population of the Eastern Ukraine, and that's the reason the war is going there at the first place.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 AM

Hello everyone, been awhile. I know without a doubt I am bumping this thread, but since I found this topic in particular to be an interesting one, I would like more answers if possible!

So to anyone who comes across this thread, please leave a comment and as always, be as civil as possible!

Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,847,089 times
well being Russian American myself I would say most Russian Americans don't like Putin, but they don't hate him either. There are also many who hate him and many who love, but it's pretty rare for one to an absolute Putin supporter. In my opinion Putin is not perfect but facts speak for them self and the fact is that ever since Putin got in power Russia has greatly improved economically, militarily, and corruption has lowered by a great margin. However, I do hope that Putin doesn't run for reelection as president or vice president in the 2018 election, it's time to let some fresh minds to lead Russia. Also why many Russians support Putin is because he is Russia's best leader sense who knows when.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
well being Russian American myself I would say most Russian Americans don't like Putin, but they don't hate him either. There are also many who hate him and many who love, but it's pretty rare for one to an absolute Putin supporter. In my opinion Putin is not perfect but facts speak for them self and the fact is that ever since Putin got in power Russia has greatly improved economically, militarily, and corruption has lowered by a great margin. However, I do hope that Putin doesn't run for reelection as president or vice president in the 2018 election, it's time to let some fresh minds to lead Russia. Also why many Russians support Putin is because he is Russia's best leader sense who knows when.
Interesting! What about the stance on the other stuff? Or was the answer regarding Putin speak for the whole stance on the Ukraine situation (crimea included) and the stance on the recent Syria situation as well?

Regardless, I agree with you on Putin getting out! New leader, new stuff! Always!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Well as far as Ukraine goes most are neutral, all they want is for the war to end and let people live in peace. I can't speak for all but I think Ukrainian government is BS, incompetent, corrupt, and is bombing its own citizens in the Donbas. As far as Crimea goes, again I can't speak for all, but my family is from there and we support the decision of Crimea returning to Russia, I used to even fantasize about it, but never believed it would ever happen. I also support Putin when it comes to Syria, and I would imagine that most Russians, wether inside or outside of Russia support him too. When it comes to gay issues the more older and religious the people (which most Russian Americans are religious) will support Russia's stance on gay people, but the younger and more liberal people will mostly againts it.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,668,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

After Yeltsin, anyone, for example me, would've been a great leader for Russia. Oil prices rising at the time, curbing corruption, a new generation emerging, I've could've been in charge of that. It's like handing to Putin a pair of aces and winning the pot. What a great achievement from a great leader! His successor has a pair of tens. So good luck with them.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After Yeltsin, anyone, for example me, would've been a great leader for Russia. Oil prices rising at the time, curbing corruption, a new generation emerging, I've could've been in charge of that. It's like handing to Putin a pair of aces and winning the pot. What a great achievement from a great leader! His successor has a pair of tens. So good luck with them.
True, but he still should be given credit for not screwing it all up. Also curbing corruption is not an easy thing to do, especially in Russia where even the children are corrupt (paying school teachers to give them good grades) he is no doubt a strong leader, unlike Yeltsin who was a complete push over. But I still hope and think that Russia can do better. But many fear they can't. Russians, especially the Soviet generation are pessimistic and keep voting for him because they fear another Yeltsin will run Russia into the gutter again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World