Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM

207 posts, read 493,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well as far as Ukraine goes most are neutral, all they want is for the war to end and let people live in peace. I can't speak for all but I think Ukrainian government is BS, incompetent, corrupt, and is bombing its own citizens in the Donbas. As far as Crimea goes, again I can't speak for all, but my family is from there and we support the decision of Crimea returning to Russia, I used to even fantasize about it, but never believed it would ever happen. I also support Putin when it comes to Syria, and I would imagine that most Russians, wether inside or outside of Russia support him too. When it comes to gay issues the more older and religious the people (which most Russian Americans are religious) will support Russia's stance on gay people, but the younger and more liberal people will mostly againts it.
I can tell you're one of the older generations lol! However, I do find it funny that I have read several articles that talk about Russians, namely the younger generation I.E. ages 18-26 and how they unlike the Russians living in Russia are against Putin's actions, Crimea included. I also have known a few Russians living the Baltic States that kinda back those articles up.

One of these articles was on Yahoo I believe, but I can't find it anymore. Probably because not only was it from last year, but so much other stuff when it comes to the Baltic states and Russia have happened since then.

Regardless, here is one: [url="http://qz.com/344521/in-estonia-life-is-good-maybe-too-good-for-ethnic-russians/"[/URL]

That being said, I wonder what Russians in the U.S. are truly like! the younger generations anyway. I already know about the older generations for a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After Yeltsin, anyone, for example me, would've been a great leader for Russia. Oil prices rising at the time, curbing corruption, a new generation emerging, I've could've been in charge of that. It's like handing to Putin a pair of aces and winning the pot. What a great achievement from a great leader! His successor has a pair of tens. So good luck with them.
Quote:
True, but he still should be given credit for not screwing it all up. Also curbing corruption is not an easy thing to do, especially in Russia where even the children are corrupt (paying school teachers to give them good grades) he is no doubt a strong leader, unlike Yeltsin who was a complete push over. But I still hope and think that Russia can do better. But many fear they can't. Russians, especially the Soviet generation are pessimistic and keep voting for him because they fear another Yeltsin will run Russia into the gutter again.
To the both of you, I know that this is unrelated to the topic of the tread, but a new leader for Russia is one thing for sure we can agree on!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM

Alright everyone! I am bringing this thread to a close. Normally I would not do this, but frankly I have no choice! I have to make a part II to this thread!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM

5,691 posts, read 4,867,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
I can tell you're one of the older generations lol! [url="http://qz.com/344521/in-estonia-life-is-good-maybe-too-good-for-ethnic-russians/"[/URL]

That being said, I wonder what Russians in the U.S. are truly like! the younger generations anyway. I already know about the older generations for a fact.
Haha, I'm actually pretty young, I'm 21. What makes me different is that I was born in the US and both my parents moved here in 1990 right before the fall of the Soviet Union so I was raised in a soviet culture and watched Soviet films as a child. Also I would always watch Russian news with my dad. Also my mom never payed attention to the news, and when the Ukraine conflict arose, she was very confused because this whole time she thought Ukraine was still part of Russia lol. But my Dad of course knows and still is intact with family and friends from back there.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM

4,095 posts, read 3,684,917 times
Putin is a crazy egomaniac and what he wants is war.
He has a small man complex and yes Yeltzin was pittifully weak but to nominate Putin just because he's the lesser incompetent is so narrow minded. Putin is a major danger for this planet and the developed world can only take so much of his ego-crazed chest puffing.

In Latin America they have a word for this behaviour, "bananero". Putin's behaviour is nothing more than like that of a populist leader of a banana republic. It's laughable, exhibitionist, immature, insecure and dangerous.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 PM

5,691 posts, read 4,867,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
He has a small man complex and yes Yeltzin was pittifully weak but to nominate Putin just because he's the lesser incompetent is so narrow minded. Putin is a major danger for this planet and the developed world can only take so much of his ego-crazed chest puffing.

In Latin America they have a word for this behaviour, "bananero". Putin's behaviour is nothing more than like that of a populist leader of a banana republic. It's laughable, exhibitionist, immature, insecure and dangerous.
Haha, that maybe so, but he's pretty "moderate" when compared to some politicians such as Vladimir Zhirinovsky. If he were the leader his tanks would be in Warsaw by now, and the guy who got the second most votes in the 2012 election was a communist. So again, the west should be pretty grateful that Putin is in power who can be reasoned with.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Haha, I'm actually pretty young, I'm 21. What makes me different is that I was born in the US and both my parents moved here in 1990 right before the fall of the Soviet Union so I was raised in a soviet culture and watched Soviet films as a child. Also I would always watch Russian news with my dad. Also my mom never payed attention to the news, and when the Ukraine conflict arose, she was very confused because this whole time she thought Ukraine was still part of Russia lol. But my Dad of course knows and still is intact with family and friends from back there.
Well given what you just said about yourself, I can see why you have that stance when it comes Putin, Ukraine, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Quote:
Haha, that maybe so, but he's pretty "moderate" when compared to some politicians such as Vladimir Zhirinovsky. If he were the leader his tanks would be in Warsaw by now, and the guy who got the second most votes in the 2012 election was a communist. So again, the west should be pretty grateful that Putin is in power who can be reasoned with.
Woah everyone! Cool your jets!

Also, please take this conversation here from now on: http://"http://www.city-data.com/for...s-living.html"

As I said, since this thread is relatively old I made a Part II to it that is more recent and is a little bit different and with more detail. Comment on that one from now on please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World