Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:39 PM

835 posts, read 1,244,894 times

Advertisements

Were Argentina and Uruguay as popular in the public imagination of Continental Europe (esp. France, Italy, and Spain) as Australia and New Zealand were in the British Isles public imagination?

Is the latter attitude also why Australia and New Zealand but not South Africa or South America (also in the Southern Hemisphere) are called "Down Under"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,233,293 times
Actually, oddly enough..

NZ and Australia are a popular immigration destination for alot of Chileans, Argentines and Uruguayans nowadays.....especially Chile. ALOT of Chileans have immigrated there. There's a considerable amount, or was at one time...of immigration from the southern cone countries of SA over there.

When my argentine wife was a young girl, hert family considered immigration to NZ and was very serious about it at one point.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 AM

10,623 posts, read 15,944,114 times
Maybe because of Pangea? But why not call NZ down under?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM

599 posts, read 952,155 times
Only Australia is called Down Under, New Zealand is the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,447,771 times
Personally I don't think the term "Down Under" was all that popular until the famous song of the same name came out in the early 1980's, I could be wrong however.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,643,088 times
Australia has a certain cashe to it because it's so far away from everything. It seems like an exotic land of weird animals and beautiful natural landscapes. A developed country with good standards of living, but sparsely populated, which IMO is not a bad thing. I remember when I first landed in Sydney I was just looking out my plane window as we're taxi-ing up to the gate, like "I'm actually here... this weird landmass so far removed from everything, how cool is this?" lol, so childish of me but then again I was like 16 at the time, but I even remember how the air smelled when I got outside....

Hope to get back downunder one day for sure.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,931,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Australia has a certain cashe to it because it's so far away from everything. It seems like an exotic land of weird animals and beautiful natural landscapes. A developed country with good standards of living, but sparsely populated, which IMO is not a bad thing. I remember when I first landed in Sydney I was just looking out my plane window as we're taxi-ing up to the gate, like "I'm actually here... this weird landmass so far removed from everything, how cool is this?" lol, so childish of me but then again I was like 16 at the time, but I even remember how the air smelled when I got outside....

Hope to get back downunder one day for sure.
Then when we go to asia, europe, north america etc we go "oh, so that's where everything else is!"

In seriousness, flights are a pain because the closest place is NZ (which isn't a bad thing), then places like Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore are 6-8 hour flights, and some places in Europe are 24 hour flights with stopovers

Old 04-11-2015, 06:28 AM

372 posts, read 1,002,410 times
You might be surprised again,,. You fly from Jakarta to Papua / Irian Jaya ( Indonesia ) have the same time you fly from Jakarta to korea/seoul..sometimes the image map can fool, the islands look very close but the reality is very far away.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:49 AM

10,623 posts, read 15,944,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
You might be surprised again,,. You fly from Jakarta to Papua / Irian Jaya ( Indonesia ) have the same time you fly from Jakarta to korea/seoul..sometimes the image map can fool, the islands look very close but the reality is very far away.

Flight from Jakarta, Java to Jayapura, Papua is almost 2 hours shorter than Jakarta-Seoul.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 AM

372 posts, read 1,002,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Flight from Jakarta, Java to Jayapura, Papua is almost 2 hours shorter than Jakarta-Seoul.
6 hours to fly from Jakarta / Java to Jayapura, Papua ( have the same time to fly korea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World