Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM

26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
These look a bit nicer than the other link.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.32...go-C_JnvnQ!2e0

these have bigger lots:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.36...rYOdUnjTQQ!2e0

Invicible's view was completely different. The homes seem a bit smaller in the Scandivian one, but otherwise they look like nicer neighborhoods. There's not much landscaping in the Winnipeg view there, either. Seems a bit blank and bland to me.
I believe the first Winnipeg photos are from a fairly new area. Give it five or 10 years and there will be landscaping and it will be much more mature and attractive with bigger trees, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Could any post streetviews of these Nordic suburban centers? I had trouble finding much in Copenhagen suburbs. Just some wide commercial roads and scattered boxy stores. Not really pedestrian hostile, but not that nice looking, either.
I have friends who live a few km away from here:

http://goo.gl/maps/rKTbu

This place (Nesttun) has existed for some time as a village at least, but almost everything that's there has been built in the contemporary era.

Of course, they still basically always go there by car, as it's not really a pedestrian-accessible area for most local residents.

But it's still more attractive than this:

http://goo.gl/maps/7wJim

Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I haven't been to Australia so I have no personal experience, but in what way are Australian cities different than Canadian ones? It's a pretty broad brush I admit since I wouldn't compare Calgary to Melbourne, but apparently the comparison of Melbourne and Vancouver is a popular one.

My friends from Sydney who have travelled in Canada and the US say the opposite of your viewpoint. They said that Canadian cities " feel " more like home to them, than American ones. I realize this is very subjective…but your thoughts??
I would tend to agree with this (with some exceptions, which I will address later). I am Canadian and know Australia quite well.

CBDs and single-family areas are quite similar between Canada and Australia in most cases.

Where it's different is in retail development patterns.

Older suburbs of single-family homes (common to both countries) in Australia will have a village-like high street where locals do most of their everyday shopping, but in Canada will have a four to six lane arterial road lined with strip malls and box stores with parking out front.

Even newer suburbs in Oz seem to do retail areas better.

This is in a Mississauga or Brampton-style suburb of Sydney, an area with a sea of cooker-cutter McMansions squeezed in on smallish lots. Very similar to newer suburbs in Canada and the US.

But look where these people can go to shop or have a drink:

http://goo.gl/maps/HwDnT

Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 AM

230 posts, read 329,197 times
North America has by far the nicest looking suburbs in the world, especially the newer developments.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,665,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I am aware they are among the healthiest in the world, but I would have difficulty eating a lot of really simple foods like just vegetable sandwiches, cured/ smoked fish, simple sausages & simply boiled potatoes. Just very basic & simple & bland for my tastes.

I know it's not just like the cafeteria at IKEA, but I do know the cuisine is "simple" in all definitions
Voi jumalauta. That's very rich coming from an American. Do you seriously think we eat only vegetable sandwiches, boiled potatoes and smoked fish all the time? No, we don't. We have amazing food over here. It would be like saying you Americans don't anything besides burgers and fries.

Best regards, "not a single sausage in years"

PS, those endless suburbs of mcmansions is my personal view of hell. Filled with sterile, neat, churchgoing mindless bots. Yuck!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,849,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Voi jumalauta. That's very rich coming from an American. Do you seriously think we eat only vegetable sandwiches, boiled potatoes and smoked fish all the time? No, we don't. We have amazing food over here. It would be like saying you Americans don't anything besides burgers and fries.

Best regards, "not a single sausage in years"

PS, those endless suburbs of mcmansions is my personal view of hell. Filled with sterile, neat, churchgoing mindless bots. Yuck!
You've never lived in a so-called McMansion, and will never be able to afford it. It's easy to say something is hell when you have no clue what living there entails. I sense some deep-seated feelings of angst-ridden inferiority coming from you.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You've never lived in a so-called McMansion, and will never be able to afford it. It's easy to say something is hell when you have no clue what living there entails. I sense some deep-seated feelings of angst-ridden inferiority coming from you.
Or maybe it has no appeal. I've been inside them, no interest. Can't afford now for sure.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Many of those Scandivian burbs are rather neat though not sterile, too. I've met plenty of non-mindless churchgoing bots. And so who are. And non-churgoing bots who worship stuff instead. Worse IMO. I have a friend who got tipsy once and then listened to online liturgical service.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,849,237 times
Quote:
Or maybe it has no appeal. I've been inside them, no interest. Can't afford now for sure.
In my book, this is what a well off suburb is supposed to look like:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2076...4tYz17QSKA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1914...HKM7IkAB7A!2e0

The pictures of "nice" Nordic suburbs look like upper-lower income areas, or lower-middle income areas (the most recent set of "decent" suburb pictures were much better than the hood-looking ones). Better than apartments? Yes but not what one would aspire to. The kicker is that those places are probably cost the same amount as the superior North American 'burbs.

Quote:
Many of those Scandivian burbs are rather neat though not sterile, too.
Some of them look relatively neat and sterile, which is a huge plus. But they are still smaller neat and sterile places of lower quality.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In my book, this is what a well off suburb is supposed to look like:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2076...4tYz17QSKA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1914...HKM7IkAB7A!2e0

The pictures of "nice" Nordic suburbs look like upper-lower income areas, or lower-middle income areas (the most recent set of "decent" suburb pictures were much better than the hood-looking ones). Better than apartments? Yes but not what one would aspire to. The kicker is that those places are probably cost the same amount as the superior North American 'burbs.
And I don't. Don't see much extra appeal of your examples, yes they're bigger, but ok so what? Most of the Nordic ones aren't that small, either. Why should I aspire to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World