Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,947,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I really should go to Helsinki and ride it sometime. But Helsinki is so far away *sigh*
Are you in Northern Finland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,409,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I really should go to Helsinki and ride it sometime. But Helsinki is so far away *sigh*
Well you're closer than I am…so GO !!! and report back

Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,253,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A little harsh, some of the houses look pretty but they are very small, have no garages, and have narrow streets. nothing like a suburb in Canada
What's wrong with narrow streets? Slows down traffic on residential street. Why would I want traffic flying through?

Quote:
I wasn't really focused on finding the most pretty neighborhood just trying to prove that Canadian suburbs have larger yards, larger homes and are more open. Don't you agree that is true?
Yea but you found the least attractive suburban example I could think of, I thought you were trying to prove Canadian suburbs are nicer. I guess you don't find them unattractive, to each his own. As for each:

1) Larger yards. Maybe, depends on the city. Toronto has small lot sizes for North American metros, perhaps the smallest. Vancouver isn't that much larger either. Some of your examples look rather small, especially the ones with the houses almost touching. The Scandinavian suburban homes varied, but it's hard to tell from streetview, there could be a large backyard, seeing the front tells us little. It's common in older homes in the Northeast to have a small front yard and much bigger backyard. I think Canadian suburbs do have bigger yards overall, but the difference might be small

2) Larger houses: probably. Would be nice to see some numbers, they're available. Might look them up. Looks like about 50-60% of Scandinavians live in detached homes.

3) Open? Definitely. Not much why this matters though. I thought too open was a negative. In a few of the views, I felt there needed to be big trees or something so it wouldn't be some empty looking. Wouldn't amount of greenery and trees be important for a good suburb?

I don't compare that much about big yards and big houses so when I was judging the views, I just saw big enough.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You are kidding right? New Orleans is a war zone: link. (Not that all this is exceptional for a large American city).
New Orleans has the highest violent crime rate of any US city, 50% higher murder rate than Detroit. It is exceptional.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
The trains look older than I was expecting, Vancouver looks like it has the 'latest train'.
I think Vancouver's metro is similar to Copenhagen's.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,947,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Vancouver's metro is similar to Copenhagen's.
But much larger

Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,217,318 times
Quote:
Are you in Northern Finland?
No, but I'd have to take an hour long train to Tampere then another train for a couple of hours to get to Helsinki. That's far for me.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,217,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well you're closer than I am…so GO !!! and report back
Hah I guess I must! I did promise my cousin and aunt that I'd go visit them in Helsinki so I really ought to.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:14 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,409,304 times
Quote:
But much larger
Is the metro in Copenhagen driverless, like in Vancouver?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
These still don't look as appealing. Very old structures, probably are very drafty in winter, the roads are narrow, probably hard to pass after a snow storm.

The second view looks like a lower middle class neighborhood in Canada/US. Yet it probably has prices of Beverly Hills or Hawaii.
I could be wrong, but I think the street I live on is as narrow as the first view. Don't see anything wrong with it, why would I would look at more asphalt? And it's fine with the snow, I suspect the snow plowing there is efficient. Very old? I'm curious how old those homes are. I suspect they aren't, I don't think detached homes were that common in Sweeden until the mid 20th century onward. Anyone?

As for lawns being perfectly kempt, I don't like lawns turning into a mess of weeds either. But the whole property being just lawn is boring, I'd prefer to have a mix of some natural looking vegetation.

I think the appealing is subjective. I rather look the look, I'm not in love with or anything, but since it's still rather green and detached homes, I expected the American posters wouldn't dislike it, I'm rather surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World