Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelandicguy View Post
You know what? In Reykjavík you have no traffic jams, no highways, no skyscrapers, clean city, northern lights, northern most capital in the world, history, music festivals, close too skying areas, clean air, close too the international airport and you can sleep withput hearing traffic.

So i go with Citys in Scandinavia becuz i think citys in North ´Murica becuz of i hate skyscrapers. And i think canada is gay and all North ´Murica is homo too. Except Mexico and countrys below Mexico. And candian accent is weird buddehs!
This post is a complete mess and is perfect for moderation as hate laced.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Also, what's with the homophobic rant? Wasn't Iceland's former Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir openly lesbian?
Yeah that was just completely wrong and weird

Tell me - Can you pronounce Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir? :P

Last edited by fusion2; 01-26-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 PM

For that homophobic post - here's a pic compliments of Toronto 2014 Worldpride - location right in the middle of suburban sprawly hell

https://flic.kr/p/o941qp by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,369,819 times
Quote:
You know what? In Reykjavík you have no traffic jams, no highways, no skyscrapers, clean city, northern lights, northern most capital in the world, history, music festivals, close too skying areas, clean air, close too the international airport and you can sleep withput hearing traffic.

So i go with Citys in Scandinavia becuz i think citys in North ´Murica becuz of i hate skyscrapers. And i think canada is gay and all North ´Murica is homo too. Except Mexico and countrys below Mexico. And candian accent is weird buddehs!

If any of that made sense, I may have been insulted. lol

Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,829,095 times
I'd pick Scandinavia.... sorry but Canada is another racial north American country with car oriented, shopping mall centric cities and little culture!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,868,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I haven't been to Australia so I have no personal experience, but in what way are Australian cities different than Canadian ones? It's a pretty broad brush I admit since I wouldn't compare Calgary to Melbourne, but apparently the comparison of Melbourne and Vancouver is a popular one.

My friends from Sydney who have travelled in Canada and the US say the opposite of your viewpoint. They said that Canadian cities " feel " more like home to them, than American ones. I realize this is very subjective…but your thoughts??
All I said is that Canadian cities look more like American cities than Australian. Toronto is more like a midwestern American city than it is like, say, Sydney or Melbourne. Calgary can be compared to Seattle or Portland.

Of course, our cities still have similarities with the Canadian cities (i.e. skyscrapers and bustling traffic below them), but I'd personally say Canada resembles America far much more.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM

888 posts, read 1,587,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, and those motorways are a huge obstacle in Helsinki, and the city plans to boulevardise some or all of them. They are admitted to be a mistake nowadays.
I haven't heard of any such plans, i don't know how people tend to think on these things, but in my mind, replacing functional transportation infrastructure which carries traffic seamlessly with something that slows traffic and created traffic jams just isn't my idea of progress.

Fact is, in a city with such high level of public transportation usage, a substantial amount of that traffic isn't related to residents guzzling gas for fun, it's more or less about commerce and the functionality of the city and the whole country. Public transit too. I mean what's next, indoor plumbing to be ripped out of Helsinki housing to reduce unnecessary water consumption?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Yeah but a volcano could destroy the whole city and no one would care

Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,157,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
All I said is that Canadian cities look more like American cities than Australian. Toronto is more like a midwestern American city than it is like, say, Sydney or Melbourne. Calgary can be compared to Seattle or Portland.

Of course, our cities still have similarities with the Canadian cities (i.e. skyscrapers and bustling traffic below them), but I'd personally say Canada resembles America far much more.
Toronto is located in the "midwest", but the only "midwestern American city" it comes close to resembling is Chicago. Most people who have actually visited both metro regions would concur. There is a vast difference between Toronto and Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, both in culture and built form ... and yes I have visited all of the above extensively in the past.

Calgary is comparable to Seattle/Portland? It almost sounds like you haven't been to any of the 3 cities... It's always been Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland as the 3 major Pacific NW hubs.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,774,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Toronto is located in the "midwest", but the only "midwestern American city" it comes close to resembling is Chicago. Most people who have actually visited both metro regions would concur. There is a vast difference between Toronto and Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, both in culture and built form ... and yes I have visited all of the above extensively in the past.

Calgary is comparable to Seattle/Portland? It almost sounds like you haven't been to any of the 3 cities... It's always been Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland as the 3 major Pacific NW hubs.
Calgary is more similar to Denver if you want to compare it to a US city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World