Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,149,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I often feel like snitching on my neighbours who don't have the required number of trees on their property. So far I have resisted the temptation.

I am more of a tree person than a flower person. I love that stuff - I was German my surname would be Baumgartner!
lol - Der Gärtner mit Umlaut Never forget the Umlaut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM

26,759 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
lol - Der Gärtner mit Umlaut Never forget the Umlaut.
What do you call that thing in English? In French it's a "tréma".

Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
We call our "skandi", as in the Scandinavian alphabet. Or funnily ääkköset, because aakkoset without skandis means the alphabet in Finnish.

In French I don't remeber what all the accents are called, but "grave" and "acute". I still know where to place them. Mostly.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,246,127 times
Quote:
What do you call that thing in English? In French it's a "tréma".
Diaeresis (Same in Spanish -diéresis)

Old 01-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Diaeresis (Same in Spanish -diéresis)
Muchas gracias.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We call our "skandi", as in the Scandinavian alphabet. Or funnily ääkköset, because aakkoset without skandis means the alphabet in Finnish.

In French I don't remeber what all the accents are called, but "grave" and "acute". I still know where to place them. Mostly.
The others are "circonflexe'' (the little hat) and the ''cédille'' (the earring on the C that softens it).

Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That doesn't describe all Canadian cities, and Canadian cities are mostly clean and safe even if it not quite as safe as Nordic cities. Largest Canadian Cities:

1) Toronto
2) Montreal
3) Vancouver
4) Calgary
5) Ottawa
6) Edmonton

The first two are definitely not endless highways and suburbia, they're fairly dense near the center maybe comparable to Nordic cities. Vancouver doesn't have that many highways.
The above is a list of the six largest Canadian urban areas, all with a population at least one million. What would be a comparable list of Nordic cities? I'd like to have a better sense of the ones to compare would be.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The above is a list of the six largest Canadian urban areas, all with a population at least one million. What would be a comparable list of Nordic cities? I'd like to have a better sense of the ones to compare would be.
Goteborg has a million people and is the largest city in the region that is not a capital.

Also looking at the stats Aarhus is almost a million as well. Funny, because it seems we never hear about it.

The name Aarhus is less familiar to me than Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Uppsala, Malmo, Turku, Oulu, Tampere, for some reason.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,246,127 times
Quote:
1) Stockholm
2) Copenhagen
3) Oslo
4) Helsinki
5) Gothenburg
6) Malmo

But I will defer to anyone else that is more familiar with that part of the world, because I am not really.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM

363 posts, read 476,445 times
Quote:
Goteborg has a million people and is the largest city in the region that is not a capital.

Also looking at the stats Aarhus is almost a million as well. Funny, because it seems we never hear about it.

The name Aarhus is less familiar to me than Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Uppsala, Malmo, Turku, Oulu, Tampere, for some reason.
Bergen is a republic and country on its own : It can't be compared with lousy nordic cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World