Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:41 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not sure about 90-95% for Toronto.

I am surprised how many bikes I see in winter, I don't ride in winter but quite a few do.
Not including "bike couriers" downtown.
We get half the snowfall of Ottawa-Montreal, I guess that helps (and a bit warmer too).
The problem with DT Toronto is there aren't enough dedicated bike lanes.. There are some here and there along certain arterials but things are just too congested between cars, streetcars and bikes plus narrow streets.. Often when passing a cyclist you literally have to merge into the left lane because there isn't enough space for you and the cyclist - its a rather unnerving experience and i've had many cyclists actually swear and bang my car at a stoplight because they think i've 'invaded' their space even though they are the one's riding their bike like they are tripping on acid. Not meaning to generalize a group of people but few have no patience like that of a DT T.O cyclist lol.. I've almost got into fist fights with them!!

Anyway, I agree 90 percent is too high and even in the winter there are still plenty of them around.. I've found in the last few years in particular in DT T.O the number of cyclists have risen dramatically, so have tensions between them and vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 AM

8 posts, read 12,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Umm... Reykjavík has a population of 120,000 ... and that's the largest city in all of Iceland

Also, what's with the homophobic rant? Wasn't Iceland's former Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir openly lesbian?

i dunno what i was writing i didnt mean 2 be homophobic and if it hurt somebody then im sorry amurica is not gay. I know iceland and reykjavik is small but we have over 1 million people in reykjavik over summer but 123,000 over winter. And yeah there are 121,000 people that have a home a apartment, a house in Reykjavík. Where i live there are only 73 people over winter and 9,000 people over summer. and all there are 324,000 people that live in iceland and 34.000.000 people that live in Canada so i guess Canada wins.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 AM

22 posts, read 27,380 times
Nordic cities are more interesting to me personally, with exceptions like Montreal, pretty much all Canadian cities are your typical low density, sprawling north American kinda of cities. I prefer compact European urban cities

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferney View Post
Nordic cities are more interesting to me personally, with exceptions like Montreal, pretty much all Canadian cities are your typical low density, sprawling north American kinda of cities. I prefer compact European urban cities
Toronto isn't that sprawling, the city seems reasonably dense.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 AM

22 posts, read 27,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Toronto isn't that sprawling, the city seems reasonably dense.
the downtown area it's a bit more dense, but outside the downtown area Toronto is quite sprawling and suburban

http://cnx.org/resources/1b9afe9e2fc..._20_02_03b.jpg

The lack of public transportation in pretty much most North American cities bores me, I miss visiting Europe where they have a lot of cities with excellent metro system, tramways, buses and you can go anywhere by using public transportation, that here in the US or Canada is very rare.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,341,326 times
Quote:
the downtown area it's a bit more dense, but outside the downtown area Toronto is quite sprawling and suburban

The lack of public transportation in pretty much most North American cities bores me, I miss visiting Europe where they have a lot of cities with excellent metro system, tramways, buses and you can go anywhere by using public transportation, that here in the US or Canada is very rare.
Toronto doesn't go from dense downtown core to sprawling suburbs though, it has a dense Inner city chain of districts surrounding the Downtown. Its definitely not like Cities further west, the city also has a streetcar and Subway system alongside buses..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:06 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,157,487 times
Quote:

Have you even been to or lived in Toronto? Btw, I don't think that picture is even part of the city of Toronto. Most likely a suburb in neighboring Mississauga, Scarborough, or North York, which is literally miles away from Toronto city proper.

These are aerial shots of neighborhoods immediately west of downtown Toronto. It is almost all residential, but very densely low-rise and lots of street activity at the same time:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8584/...ce69e06b_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3877/...c58023c0_b.jpg
Bloor West - this part in fact is miles west of downtown CBD, but is bustling with street activity and low-rise apartments:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7485/...c0502b09_b.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-11-2015 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 02-10-2015, 10:41 AM

72 posts, read 68,891 times
I've been to Stockholm, Copenhagen and Helsinki - and Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, Niagara Falls.

I have to vote for Canadian cities because they were larger, more impressive, more international feel, better skylines and more unique (especially Montreal), warmer summers and more sunshine as well. Stockholm was my favorite of all Nordic cities, followed closely by Copenhagen. Helsinki was boring unfortunately.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

These are aerial shots of neighborhoods immediately west of downtown Toronto. It is almost all residential, but very densely low-rise and lots of street activity at the same time:
Nice pics

Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,829,095 times
Toronto to me felt like a giant suburbia, the downtown is full of generic skyscrapers where people work and then get on their cars and go back home to their suburbias.

I wasn't particularly impressed, and then they have like a Time square wannabe Square called Yonge-Dundas square... I don't know I wasn't feeling it

I prefer Nordic cities, so fellas my vote goes to Nordic cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World