U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2014, 11:15 AM

230 posts, read 249,547 times

Advertisements

Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, etc. VS. Stockholm, Guthenburg, Malmö, Oslo, Bergen, Copenhagen, Helsinki, etc.?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 AM

24,268 posts, read 16,752,416 times
I'm not a fan of a skyscraper cluster and then endless highways and suburbia, so my vote go to the bikable, clean and safe Nordic cities. A plus is that Tampere, Finland, is the only inland large city in the Nordics, all other are coastal, which I value tremendously. And Tampere is surrounded by lakes. I've never lived more than 10 miles from the sea in my life, so living in Calgary or Winnipeg would be a huge culture shock.
My city, Turku, has even another benefit, a river and the sea.

I'm not saying that all of them are super interesting and beautiful here either, and we have sprawl as well. Though to a lesser extent than in North America.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM

554 posts, read 617,414 times
Just because of Montreal, I prefer Canadian cities. Nordic cities are nice too tho, but they are too small and clean for my taste.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM

14,319 posts, read 15,786,403 times
I like Canadian cities in general, and some in particular, but I prefer Nordic cities by a Norwegian mile (~6:1) :-)

Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM

19,939 posts, read 24,659,046 times
I think that the Nordic cities in general have much better planning, are more human centric (as opposed to auto-centric) and on average are much more aesthetically pleasing.

That said, the Canadian cities are certainly every bit a livable as the Nordic cities and if you take affordability into account they might have a slight advantage even.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM

10,443 posts, read 7,279,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not a fan of a skyscraper cluster and then endless highways and suburbia, so my vote go to the bikable, clean and safe Nordic cities. A plus is that Tampere, Finland, is the only inland large city in the Nordics, all other are coastal, which I value tremendously. And Tampere is surrounded by lakes. I've never lived more than 10 miles from the sea in my life, so living in Calgary or Winnipeg would be a huge culture shock.
My city, Turku, has even another benefit, a river and the sea.

I'm not saying that all of them are super interesting and beautiful here either, and we have sprawl as well. Though to a lesser extent than in North America.
Calgary is very "bikable "

"There are approximately 550 kilometres of pathways and 260 kilometres of on-street bicycle routes within Calgary, not including the pathways in Fish Creek Provincial Park. The recreational and commuting opportunities are endless."

The City of Calgary - Pathway and Bikeway Plan

Calgary has some lakes and of course The Bow river.

Winnipeg has two rivers, The Red River and The Assiniboine River, plus huge Lake Winnipeg to the north with white sand beaches.

I am in agreement about the sea though. I have lived my life always with less than 2 K's from the sea. Lakes and rivers are nice, but the sea is different as you know.

I should add that Vancouver, my home, has the sea, rivers and lakes.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM

10,443 posts, read 7,279,388 times
I voted for Nordic cities ONLY because per the OP's question, they " seem " more interesting to me, because I have yet to visit them. Whether I would still hold the same opinion after visiting…not sure.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 PM

19,939 posts, read 24,659,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I should add that Vancouver, my home, has the sea, rivers and lakes.
There are a few decent-sized hills near your city as well. I think you call them ''mountains"!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM

22,308 posts, read 64,252,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Just because of Montreal, I prefer Canadian cities. Nordic cities are nice too tho, but they are too small and clean for my taste.
What´s wrong with clean cities?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:43 PM

221 posts, read 247,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
What´s wrong with clean cities?
May be he is missing gang related riots and car torching offered by Paris, but I guess Stockholm also can offer that, can't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or