Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:43 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,936,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What I meant was,in many countries out there,you could say something "wrong" then the next thing you know is that you're in jail,or worse,killed.
Really it's not that much different here. Maybe you won't get killed, per se, but political activists most certainly do get thrown in jail here- and worse. In our country we don't even allow for a fair trial or the right to be presumed innocent anymore. All a leader has to do is allege a drug violation or use the phrase 'domestic terrorist' and all rights go right out the window.
I'm not sure how much travelling you've done in your life, but my experience is that most other countries are the same when it comes to this. If anything, they are better as most other countries don't have the elaborate spying schemes that we do here.

Quote:
And let's face it,90%(or 85%) of the countries out there are either poverty-stricken,totalitarian,caesaropapist,stratocratic,o r all of the above.I'm pretty sure that their legal systems are far worse than the imperfect legal system of America.
No way, man. Maybe a small minority, but not most. The legal system we have here is pretty much the same anywhere. Here is a link to a guy that helps people out that are oppressed in all industrialized countries. Even though all industrialized countries use similar systems, I would argue it's far more corrupt here.
MarcStevens.net - No product or service should be provided at the barrel of a gun

Quote:
Why would the parents send their children to the States in the first place?Better education does mean better opportunities in many cases.
You are asking the wrong question. The better question is- how do parents afford to send their kids to college here when our own parents can't afford to educate their children? Doesn't really fit into the 'everywhere it's poor' argument.

Quote:
Yes and those schools in Europe are usually much less expensive,but that doesn't change the fact that America probably receives the most foreign students of all countries.Language is an important factor.
Because our parents can't afford to send their kids abroad as the parents in other nations can. What does that say about the so called 'wealth' of America? hint- the wealth isn't for people like you and me.

Quote:
I agree with this though,but I was simply pointing out that there are always and will always be many,many worse cases than America in terms of freedom and legal system because the world is a ****ty place.
But like I said, most other countries don't advertise themselves as bastions of freedom. You know, home of the free, land of the brave, et al.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:46 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I watch local News Stations at the time since I was in L.A. for a couple of weeks…didn't see it. Not saying you didn't. However I bet many Californians still have no idea…and your welcome…since you guys do the same for us.

Now abut the power bill that California owes B.C. LOL. We settled out of court because the cost of fighting it would of been too great.

"B.C.'s Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett said Friday that the decision to settle was not a happy one but that it was the right thing to do in order to avoid a drawn-out court battle with California.

The potential $3.2 billion liability would go up $125 million every year in interest, he said, plus another $50 million in legal fees."

BC Hydro's Powerex agrees to settlement in California claims
Local news in San Diego mentioned it (which is surprising) as well as in the Bay Area.

It was our former fool of a governor who was responsible for that and he was recalled and ousted, largely over how he handled that.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
What I meant was,in many countries out there,you could say something "wrong" then the next thing you know is that you're in jail,or worse,killed.These have happened in the US as well,but nowhere near frequently I'd say.

And let's face it,90%(or 85%) of the countries out there are either poverty-stricken,totalitarian,caesaropapist,stratocratic,o r all of the above.I'm pretty sure that their legal systems are far worse than the imperfect legal system of America.

Why would the parents send their children to the States in the first place?Better education does mean better opportunities in many cases.

Yes and those schools in Europe are usually much less expensive,but that doesn't change the fact that America probably receives the most foreign students of all countries.Language is an important factor.

I agree with this though,but I was simply pointing out that there are always and will always be many,many worse cases than America in terms of freedom and legal system because the world is a ****ty place.
In actual numbers yes, about 770,000. Percentage wise, no. Canada with 1/10th the population accepts 225,000 and is looking to increase that to 450,000. There is opposition to this as many feel it pushes out Canadian students.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Local news in San Diego mentioned it (which is surprising) as well as in the Bay Area. San Diego was first affected by it so it had much more impact there.

It was our former fool of a governor who was responsible for that and he was recalled and ousted, largely over how he handled that.
Well, good to know.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM

8,854 posts, read 8,372,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Really it's not that much different here. Maybe you won't get killed, per se, but political activists most certainly do get thrown in jail here- and worse. In our country we don't even allow for a fair trial or the right to be presumed innocent anymore. All a leader has to do is allege a drug violation or use the phrase 'domestic terrorist' and all rights go right out the window.
I'm not sure how much travelling you've done in your life, but my experience is that most other countries are the same when it comes to this. If anything, they are better as most other countries don't have the elaborate spying schemes that we do here.

No way, man. Maybe a small minority, but not most. The legal system we have here is pretty much the same anywhere. Here is a link to a guy that helps people out that are oppressed in all industrialized countries. Even though all industrialized countries use similar systems, I would argue it's far more corrupt here.
MarcStevens.net - No product or service should be provided at the barrel of a gun

You are asking the wrong question. The better question is- how do parents afford to send their kids to college here when our own parents can't afford to educate their children? Doesn't really fit into the 'everywhere it's poor' argument.

Because our parents can't afford to send their kids abroad as the parents in other nations can. What does that say about the so called 'wealth' of America? hint- the wealth isn't for people like you and me.

But like I said, most other countries don't advertise themselves as bastions of freedom. You know, home of the free, land of the brave, et al.
I actually think that you consider many other countries to be better than the States,but the truth is that they are usually as bad or just far worse.Which countries do you have in mind when you think of freedom and fair legal system then?

As for the 90% of the countries out there are poverty-stricken or totalitarian,that's exaggeration,but there certainly are many examples that are almost there but not quite(like Taiwan).If you combine them,it's pretty much 90%.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 PM

510 posts, read 606,984 times
Quote:
As for the 90% of the countries out there are poverty-stricken or totalitarian,that's exaggeration,but there certainly are many examples that are almost there but not quite(like Taiwan).If you combine them,it's pretty much 90%.
I think you have an extremely low opinion of Taiwan. While it's certainly not all rainbows and roses, Taiwan is definitely in top 10% of all countries in the world in terms of freedoms, safety, standard of living, access to education and healthcare, etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,227,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It's not the best country in terms of anything other than their ability to blow the entire planet to hell.
And Scotland isn't the best at anything other than attracting self loathing expats.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,936,694 times
Quote:
I actually think that you consider many other countries to be better than the States,but the truth is that they are usually as bad or just far worse.Which countries do you have in mind when you think of freedom and fair legal system then?

Most of the industrialized countries out there don't have governments that are bought and paid for like ours do. As a result, people don't have to work 24 hours a day just to pay basic expenses. Think Europe and South America. I don't want to get into specific countries because you will try to refute each country I come up with.

My overall point, which I stand by, is that I dislike America as a country because it lacks freedom, it's corrupt, it is owned by the corporations and banks, it's oppressive, and most of all, it pretentiously claims to be a bastion of freedom when it is anything but.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM

335 posts, read 408,215 times
This question provolks a philosphical response by many of us who haven't
travelled of late. Boils down to what we think rather than what we know. I
view this as a an exmple of both real and perceived hate or what conditions
cause non Americans to hate a country like America ? I see the hate being a
product of the haves and have nots, affuencia vs especially 3 rd world sub-
standard living. Americans especially young rich kids are relatively poor diplomats
for garnering love for pack of amoral drunken fools then add other weird adults
misbehaving, insulting, loud, seemingly having unlimited resources doesn't
equate to "liking" for a person struggling for a pair of Wangler jeans! Many
non christian countries hate America for it's freedom of religion believing every-
one needs to be on THEIR page (pagan page......really?) Disinfranchised people
especially young being trapped in poverty or simply lacking opportuniy even
education tend to resent our extreme flipside. Many resent our ability
to provide aid where their own country is handicapped post disaster. Other hate
elements stem from a forced democracy (America's way or no way), military threat
on civiian populations, nearly decadent level of natural resources, food, fuel,
construction ,highways, entertainment ,cars, health care, colleges and schools,
and freedom !

Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,227,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
Stop bombing people and maybe they'll stop hating you so much.

Easy enough for you to comprehend, Americans?
We don't care if the people we are bombing hate us. Does that make any sense to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.