Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,907,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
With incidents like this happening so frequently, maybe Americans really do need guns. I'd be scared as well if over 100 people started attacking random passersby for no reason.

Over 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers
The 'knockout game' is very common in the US, not only in low income areas(where the malls usually aren't in the first place. Although the whole of Memphis would arguably qualify as low income area). Even pregnant women have been attacked. I'd arm myself too if I were still living in the US, to the teeth. We Europeans really shouldn't interfere with the American gun ownership discussion, Europe is one big Disneyland compared to the US.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It is a fear. A guy I used to work with was paranoid that the government was spying on him and like so many Americans erroneously thought that arming himself was necessary to keep the government in check. Not that our government would attack it's own citizens but if they were they are ready for it. You know the same government that has guided missiles, tanks, fighter jets, yeah that government.
Well this is the thing, ultimately if the U.S government or military had some sort of dictator in control of its resources and wanted to attack the citizens of the U.S and really most any country they/we would be screwed including admittedly my own.. Having said that, when it comes to other westernized countries, the U.S has been a pretty good military power as far as relations go.. I'd much rather have the U.S where it is than any other nation... so really I think the bigger threat to general Americans is other armed American civilians and not the military and as long as things remain status quo than the country will have to accept continued higher level of gun violence than its peers so I hope the U.S citizenry starts doing something about it.

I've been to quite a few American cities mind you and with some research its easy to enjoy them without getting into trouble... Trust me, I've been to many of the most dangerous in the U.S and enjoyed them all just fine so as a tourist it wouldn't stop me from enjoying them and nor should it for anyone else with normal common sense.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
With incidents like this happening so frequently, maybe Americans really do need guns. I'd be scared as well if over 100 people started attacking random passersby for no reason.

Over 100 teens swarm Memphis plaza, 'knocking out' shoppers
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The 'knockout game' is very common in the US, not only in low income areas(where the malls usually aren't in the first place. Although the whole of Memphis would arguably qualify as low income area). Even pregnant women have been attacked. I'd arm myself too if I were still living in the US, to the teeth. We Europeans really shouldn't interfere with the American gun ownership discussion, Europe is one big Disneyland compared to the US.
Lol its funny because at first we were the paranoid ones, now look at this ^

Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well this is the thing, ultimately if the U.S government or military had some sort of dictator in control of its resources and wanted to attack the citizens of the U.S and really most any country they/we would be screwed including admittedly my own.. Having said that, when it comes to other westernized countries, the U.S has been a pretty good military power as far as relations go.. I'd much rather have the U.S where it is than any other nation... so really I think the bigger threat to general Americans is other armed American civilians and not the military and as long as things remain status quo than the country will have to accept continued higher level of gun violence than its peers so I hope the U.S citizenry starts doing something about it.

I've been to quite a few American cities mind you and with some research its easy to enjoy them without getting into trouble... Trust me, I've been to many of the most dangerous in the U.S and enjoyed them all just fine so as a tourist it wouldn't stop me from enjoying them and nor should it for anyone else with normal common sense.
Which ones out of curiosity?
not to start a debate just a convo starter.

Do many people from Toronto go to Detroit?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol its funny because at first we were the paranoid ones, now look at this ^

U mad, bro?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,703,456 times
Never heard of those before. Are those knocking outs just gatherings with the attempt of senseless violence against any bystanders? Do those people ever get caught or riot police called up? There must be some kind of planning on social media.

Interesting, and scary. Even the football hooligans in (Western) Europe have a certain code to not target civilians.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Which ones out of curiosity?
not to start a debate just a convo starter.

Do many people from Toronto go to Detroit?
I've been to NOLA, Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, Cincy, Buffalo, Baltimore and yes Detroit - I just got back from Detroit a few weeks ago and had a great time at the Henry Ford - highly recommended... Would I walk around the run down nabe's in some of these cities - especially at night - not really but most of them are safe with common sense.. No issues visiting museums or their DT cores in the day. Most U.S city cores kind of clear out at night anyway. These are just the 'dangerous' one's - I've been to many many others.. Surprisingly S.F was more dodgy than I thought it would be...

More Torontonians go to Buffalo (As a matter of fact Buffalo may just be 30 percent Canadian at any given time) than Detroit since its only 1.5 hours away from Toronto whereas Detroit is 4 hrs but yes i'd say there are quite a few Torontonians who go to Detroit... .... I actually enjoy some of the scraper architecture in Detroit and next time I drive through will visit the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:00 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Never heard of those before. Are those knocking outs just gatherings with the attempt of senseless violence against any bystanders? Do those people ever get caught or riot police called up? There must be some kind of planning on social media.

Interesting, and scary. Even the football hooligans in (Western) Europe have a certain code to not target civilians.
From what I can gather, it's just senseless violence with no objective other than to assault random, unsuspecting people going about their business. I've read stories of even women being targeted, punched, kicked by groups of young men (sometimes women as well). Seems like they don't care at all. It's not like football hooliganism where rival football fans just kick the crap out of each other, but leave everyone else alone.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:01 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,319,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liatWFj5COk

Old 09-08-2014, 01:45 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Man who knocked 16-year-old girl unconscious in street attack jailed - Telegraph

Or was that the point you were making. I don't believe he was a hooligan though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.