Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,304,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Man who knocked 16-year-old girl unconscious in street attack jailed - Telegraph

Or was that the point you were making. I don't believe he was a hooligan though
There was no point to be made. Someone asked what that "knockout game" was about and I replied to that. If I wanted to make a point I'd have commented on the video, which I didn't.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,689,483 times
Sounds a lot like the happy slapping fad that originated in the UK.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,895,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I've been to NOLA, Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, Cincy, Buffalo, Baltimore and yes Detroit - I just got back from Detroit a few weeks ago and had a great time at the Henry Ford - highly recommended... Would I walk around the run down nabe's in some of these cities - especially at night - not really but most of them are safe with common sense.. No issues visiting museums or their DT cores in the day. Most U.S city cores kind of clear out at night anyway. These are just the 'dangerous' one's - I've been to many many others.. Surprisingly S.F was more dodgy than I thought it would be...
Wow, apparently there are some pretty courageous people over here on CD. Did you happen to visit East St. Louis as well or what about a little stopover in Camden, NJ or New Orleans to appreciate what those cities have to offer?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
I've been to NOLA, Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, Cincy, Buffalo, Baltimore and yes Detroit - I just got back from Detroit a few weeks ago and had a great time at the Henry Ford - highly recommended... Would I walk around the run down nabe's in some of these cities - especially at night - not really but most of them are safe with common sense.. No issues visiting museums or their DT cores in the day. Most U.S city cores kind of clear out at night anyway. These are just the 'dangerous' one's - I've been to many many others.. Surprisingly S.F was more dodgy than I thought it would be...
San Francisco probably has the dodgiest downtown core area of any of these. Of course, if you go too far in the wrong direction in some others, you'd get into something nastier. Haven't visited many of though, but I'm rather certain that the core of Balitmore isn't as bad as San Francisco's. On the other hand, easier to buy drugs in the city center in San Francisco. Only a few blocks from Twitter's headquarters.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 PM

3,428 posts, read 6,285,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
San Francisco probably has the dodgiest downtown core area of any of these. Of course, if you go too far in the wrong direction in some others, you'd get into something nastier. Haven't visited many of though, but I'm rather certain that the core of Balitmore isn't as bad as San Francisco's. On the other hand, easier to buy drugs in the city center in San Francisco. Only a few blocks from Twitter's headquarters.
Baltimore is for the most part, a craphole. The only two things I like about the city are the Inner Harbor and the Orioles Stadium.

A few years ago, I was walking around the Lexington Market area on a Tuesday afternoon and the place was bustling, lots of pedestrians out and about and a lot of ghetto stuff going on.

In most "normal" places you will not see that amount of people just hanging out and about in the middle of the afternoon, so I would safely assume that the city of Baltimore has a huge unemployment rate especially for African Americans.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Well, the downtown area of Baltimore seemed fine. Perhaps I didn't explore far enough.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,449,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Sounds a lot like the happy slapping fad that originated in the UK.
Yup, though that isn't what I was talking about in my original post. Plus, happy slapping didn't originate with the intention of knocking people out.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:00 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Well this is the thing, ultimately if the U.S government or military had some sort of dictator in control of its resources and wanted to attack the citizens of the U.S and really most any country they/we would be screwed including admittedly my own.. Having said that, when it comes to other westernized countries, the U.S has been a pretty good military power as far as relations go.. I'd much rather have the U.S where it is than any other nation... so really I think the bigger threat to general Americans is other armed American civilians and not the military and as long as things remain status quo than the country will have to accept continued higher level of gun violence than its peers so I hope the U.S citizenry starts doing something about it.

I've been to quite a few American cities mind you and with some research its easy to enjoy them without getting into trouble... Trust me, I've been to many of the most dangerous in the U.S and enjoyed them all just fine so as a tourist it wouldn't stop me from enjoying them and nor should it for anyone else with normal common sense.
See, as a Canadian, you likely feel differently because the US and Canada cooperate a great deal when it comes to military defense. Canada would be defended by the US pretty much by default if it were ever under threat.

Other armed Americans are a bigger threat but trust me, there are many Americans who still carry an 1850's type mentality and truly believe that owning a gun in the 21st century is protection from tyranny. I believe someone even said that in this thread.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Wow, apparently there are some pretty courageous people over here on CD. Did you happen to visit East St. Louis as well or what about a little stopover in Camden, NJ or New Orleans to appreciate what those cities have to offer?
I've been to many places a around the world and research where and where not to go... Most U.S cities, even the more dangerous one's usually have violence that is contained to certain neighbourhoods... I wouldn't at all consider myself brave and just use common sense.. People overplay the dangers of U.S cities.. For example, The Henry Ford Museum is in Dearborn Michigan just to the west of Detroit city centre and where the Ford Plant is and there are plenty of tourists who go to that facility. I felt zero danger and enjoyed the visit.. Wasn't shot at once, I even drove down Michigan Avenue to the DT core to look at some impressive classical skyscraper stock that Detroit has. No problems.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The thing is with other places it seems clearer where and when to sort of stay away.. Whereas in S.F I suppose because it has a vibrant and urban DT core day and night everybody is attracted to it - including some truly dodgy characters. I've seen a guy rolling around Market Street pretending to shoot cars and people with an imaginary semi-automatic weapon... I was also accosted by more aggressive panhandlers than most any other city I have visited.. They actually come up to you and give you their sob story and life history and will follow you around.. I literally started running away from them..

Anyway, even in spite what I've said, I still think If you use common sense and visit many U.S cities for normal touristic experiences by and very large there is little to worry about..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-09-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World