Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
See, as a Canadian, you likely feel differently because the US and Canada cooperate a great deal when it comes to military defense. Canada would be defended by the US pretty much by default if it were ever under threat.

Other armed Americans are a bigger threat but trust me, there are many Americans who still carry an 1850's type mentality and truly believe that owning a gun in the 21st century is protection from tyranny. I believe someone even said that in this thread.

First paragraph - not just military, but also economic, cultural and even historical ties.. All those things really make the two countries extraordinarily integrated. I have no problem with this at all really - as I said, we each could have far worse neighbours lol ..

second paragraph - I agree and this is I think a stark difference between Canadians and the Americans you speak of.. I don't pass judgement, just my observation that as long as things remain status quo re gun violence and this need to arm due to what I think are irrational and exaggerated fears than perhaps the status quo will remain.. If the status quo is acceptable than it is what it is.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Some of the fears about what the US government is doing and will continue to expand doing is not irrational at all. Just because we live in a great constitutional republic in the 21st century doesn't mean we are immune from domestic tyranny.

Some citizens need to open their eyes at the new reality.

And no, I'm not a truther, prepper, or any kind of supremacist.... just an average Joe.

Orwell was 30 years premature.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 PM

342 posts, read 510,958 times
Look Im Canadian and I think that America is in fact the "greatest" country in the world. In fact if it wasnt nobody would care about trying to prove it isnt. Look at posters like drro who devote their entire username to tarring the US in any way possible. Nobody is going to devote that kind of energy to New Zealand.

So why is the US the "greatest" country in the world? Because in mostly every conceivable category they do great in. It is funny when some people say "oh the US came in 10th place". Oh really? 10th out of 180+ countries they ONLY came in 10th? They are competing with tiny homogeneous countries like Norway and and micronations like Luxembourg? Sorry but where are all the other countries of 100+ million people? 50th place? 100th place?

Look at the Olympics, the Americans are always one of the best if not the best. Same with wealth. same with science. Technology. Military. Almost the whole world (even Canada and Britain, Ironically) have adopted the ideals of the American Revolution. And then the range of climates in the US is rivaled only by China. If a bunch of space aliens landed on earth tomorrow, who do you think they'd want to talk to - Obama or Erna Solberg? However much it bothers some the US is often the trailblazer with other countries following behind and constantly looking to emulate it. Or they look at the US as a model or for advice. Its so ironic that USA haters like to lambaste the USA and then go turn on their TV (USA invention) and watch an American TV show or while they use they computer (American invention) to book a flight on an Airplane (American invention) in English...How hypocritical.

Does the USA have its flaws? Yes, its not a utopia. But its pretty obvious why many Americans and others would think it is the "greatest" country in the world. Its much for the same reasons that someone would think the Roman Empire was the "greatest" empire of its time. Maybe living in some tiny Berber tribe would score two ranks higher on a "quality of life" survey, but its the Romans you hear about.

To the naysayers: Ask yourself this: Why doesn't it bother you when some Scandinavian claims their country is the the greatest, or the best palce to live, etc? I am from Canada and have lived in both the US and Canadians claim to be the greatest country in the world JUST AS OFTEN as Americans, and if I have to be honest maybe even more. But nobody cares when a Canadian claims Canada to be the greatest country in the world. Why? Because its a joke. It doesnt bother anyone because it can be laughed off and no one takes it seriously. And believe me, under Stephen Harper Canada is doing all kinds of arrogant things that are seriously affecting politics and very negatively our environment and wildlife, but no one seems to care outside of North America. But when Americans come remotely close to implying being even just adequate it it grinds the gears of many naysayers (especially lots of Europeans). Why? Because they know theres alot of truth to it and it bothers the heck out of them. I dont know if people are necessarily jealous of America's freedom or any of that nonsense, but lots of people are definitely jealous of the USA. Especially people from European countries that used to be veryimportant and have fallen into a steep decline.

America is like the New York Yankees. Everyone knows that they are the greatest baseball franchise. But because of that same reason it attracts many haters and naysayers, who are eager to root against them. There are so many who just want to see them lose, and they dont care who against.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its honestly not as common as you want it to be, we don't get scared about getting swarmed every day we go to a shopping mall.
"As you want it to be". That is the line. Theres always some jackass who wants the US to be the nonsense they see on BBC or whatever news station.

Unfortunately some of these goons are desperate for anything bad about the USA. Like a knockout game I never heard of it until this thread, but apparently some kid in this parents basement in Europe someplace is going to tell everyone that it is common. *Some* people in *certain* parts of the world are so desperate to look for crazy things going on in the USA and it is so sad. It is as if finding out something bad happened in the US validates them somehow. That is called an inferiority complex.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,349 times
As I already said: it's fun how an American opened this thread, Americans mostly replied to it and yet, while whining about hate from everywhere (whose source is Internet obviously) and generalization, they happily lump up 600 million people, speaking countless different language and with many different cultures into one group hating them.
Summing it up: all these threads have been opened by Americans, asking what "Europeans" (or other groups) why they allegedly hate them, collecting then a myriad of answers from Americans (who obviously have visited 10^9 European countries and have met 100^9 Europeans bashing them cit.) with Europeans/other group questioned composing up to 10 % of replies, then a collective conclusion is reached by these American users about what an entire continent allegedly thinks and does all the time.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
As I already said: it's fun how an American opened this thread, Americans mostly replied to it and yet, while whining about hate from everywhere (whose source is Internet obviously) and generalization, they happily lump up 600 million people, speaking countless different language and with many different cultures into one group hating them.
Summing it up: all these threads have been opened by Americans, asking what "Europeans" (or other groups) why they allegedly hate them, collecting then a myriad of answers from Americans (who obviously have visited 10^9 European countries and have met 100^9 Europeans bashing them cit.) with Europeans/other group questioned composing up to 10 % of replies, then a collective conclusion is reached by these American users about what an entire continent allegedly thinks and does all the time.
Xander Im not American but I can still see where they are coming from. There is not shortage of people (especially Europeans) who are seem to get off by pointing out anything bad in the US.

Do you not think it is ironic that some Europeans are hellbent on making the US out to be a warzone but ignore 90% of the world that is worse?

Or what about people who are always talking about ghettoes and hoods in America (like drro) even when theyve very clearly never been to these places - yet they dont seem so concerned with the situation in Mali.

There is definitely a phenomenon of anti-Americanism in Europe. You can look at some polls in Europe and more people Germany in recent years have thought Iran was less of a threat than the US. Seriously? they friggin' protect you!

And when I say anti-American I dont just mean people who truly hate Amerca (like terrorists or political radicals) but also those who are jealous of American or feel insecure and for whatever reasons like to embellish insane news stories as if they are normal. If you turn on a European news station or read a European newspaper it is clear that there is a market for selling exagerrated negative stories about the US. It is as if the USA is a celebrity and there are swarms of pathetic Europeans eager to find the latest trash talk about them.

It just comes off as looking like they are so unfulfilled with their life that they need to validate themselves. Much like losers who read the National Enquirer and look for the latest gossip about Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Most people dislike American foreign policy / actions first and foremost, any further dislike of what we do at home mostly comes from that.

We have repeatedly illegally invaded sovereign nations, assassinated or deposed their leaders, or imposed sanctions to ensure that we put ourselves in a privileged economic position. The puppet regimes we support are often trained by the CIA in how to torture any persons who pose a threat to it - "threats" usually mean standing up for the local interest. We strong arm poor countries into growing cash crops we want to import rather than food for local consumption, leaving them dependent on us to give them "food aid". To get food aid they must be our puppets and do everything we say.

We often tie receiving aid to forcing other countries to follow our "values" - like forcing them to legally recognize gay marriage or keep all forms of marijuana illegal. Things that should be their business.

The good news is a logical and mostly painless shift in our foreign policy would eliminate most of the ill will other people feel towards America.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
"As you want it to be". That is the line. Theres always some jackass who wants the US to be the nonsense they see on BBC or whatever news station.

Unfortunately some of these goons are desperate for anything bad about the USA. Like a knockout game I never heard of it until this thread, but apparently some kid in this parents basement in Europe someplace is going to tell everyone that it is common. *Some* people in *certain* parts of the world are so desperate to look for crazy things going on in the USA and it is so sad. It is as if finding out something bad happened in the US validates them somehow. That is called an inferiority complex.

I guess a gentle reminder of the thread title "Why does everyone hate America so much" posted by an American would be timely given some seem to have a problem discerning just who it is displaying an "inferiority complex".

Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
And then attributing it to EVERYONE!

It's like famous people who make a lucrative living in the entertainment field but then complain at all the undue and possibly negative attention they receive. Don't like the heat; stay out of the kitchen. Don't like the light; stay in the basement.

Don't like the result; quit repeating the experiment.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And then attributing it to EVERYONE!

It's like famous people who make a lucrative living in the entertainment field but then complain at all the undue and possibly negative attention they receive. Don't like the heat; stay out of the kitchen. Don't like the light; stay in the basement.

Don't like the result; quit repeating the experiment.
....Yet you are doing the same thing. A guy on City Data makes a post and you attribute that to being a common American thread. Interesting how Americans are accused of not caring what the world thinks, but also accused of caring too much.

Either way, enjoy your 6 months in Florida this year BruSan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World