Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The 'knockout game' is very common in the US, not only in low income areas(where the malls usually aren't in the first place. Although the whole of Memphis would arguably qualify as low income area). Even pregnant women have been attacked. I'd arm myself too if I were still living in the US, to the teeth. We Europeans really shouldn't interfere with the American gun ownership discussion, Europe is one big Disneyland compared to the US.
Please don't believe everything you read on the internet. The knockout game is NOT common at all in the US.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Wow, apparently there are some pretty courageous people over here on CD. Did you happen to visit East St. Louis as well or what about a little stopover in Camden, NJ or New Orleans to appreciate what those cities have to offer?
"NOLA" is New Orleans. One of the top tourist destinations in the US. My husband and I vacation there at least once a year. No problems whatsoever. It's a fabulous city.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The thing is with other places it seems clearer where and when to sort of stay away.. Whereas in S.F I suppose because it has a vibrant and urban DT core day and night everybody is attracted to it - including some truly dodgy characters. I've seen a guy rolling around Market Street pretending to shoot cars and people with an imaginary semi-automatic weapon... I was also accosted by more aggressive panhandlers than most any other city I have visited.. They actually come up to you and give you their sob story and life history and will follow you around.. I literally started running away from them..
San Francisco has a very sketchy area of downtown, unlike cities that are more dangerous overall but those areas are out of sight. I thought that was well known but I guess someone unfamiliar would be unsurprised. On the plus side, having a scary part of downtown means there's a cheap rent district left in the city center! Maybe not much longer for the few looking for market rents there, what?! $2000 / month to live in the Tenderloin?!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
San Francisco has a very sketchy area of downtown, unlike cities that are more dangerous overall but those areas are out of sight. I thought that was well known but I guess someone unfamiliar would be unsurprised. On the plus side, having a scary part of downtown means there's a cheap rent district left in the city center! Maybe not much longer for the few looking for market rents there, what?! $2000 / month to live in the Tenderloin?!
Tenderloin. Catches unsuspecting tourist off guard every time. It's full of crazy people.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"NOLA" is New Orleans. One of the top tourist destinations in the US. My husband and I vacation there at least once a year. No problems whatsoever. It's a fabulous city.
For tourists. However to say that because you haven't any problems doesn't mean there aren't problems.
I have friends who own investment properties in New Orleans, they too love the city….parts of the city…the rest they say is a hell hole.

In 2011 there were 16,761 crimes in New Orleans including 200 murders, 163 forcible rapes and 14,013 property crimes. With a murder rate of 57.6 per 100,000, New Orleans had the highest murder rate of any U.S. city with a population of 100,000 or more in 2011 and ranked 21st in the world.
Crime in Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Louisiana

To put the murder rate into perspective Canada in 2011 had 598 murders in a population of 33.5 million. New Orleans had 200 murders in a population of 343,000.(2010)
Murders in Canada dropped to 543 in 2012 while population climbed to 35.1 million. New Orleans murders in 2012 dropped to 193 and population grew to 370,000.

I fully understand that the tourist areas are mostly fine ( although the French Quarter has a incidence of assaults ) but when news stories like this one get out, it's no wonder that people may rethink their visit.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...common_se.html

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-10-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
The problem isn't that, the problem is that whatever group is asked, most replies are coming from Americans who have almost always never seen a European/Other group asked and taken as truth.
You are Italian. don't tell US what WE experience.

We make threads like these because of the unusual large number of foreigners (mainly 15-20 year olds from Canada, Europe and Australia) constantly over exaggerating our problems, disrespecting our country, telling us how we should live, calling us brainwashed because we don't have the same beliefs as them, saying we contribute nothing to the world while they are on facebook on their iphone, getting all upset when someone speaks a pro-American viewpoint by calling them brainwashed nationalist rednecks, etc..etc..

Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We make threads like these because of the unusual large number of foreigners (mainly 15-20 year olds from Canada, Europe and Australia) constantly over exaggerating our problems, disrespecting our country, telling us how we should live, calling us brainwashed because we don't have the same beliefs as them, saying we contribute nothing to the world while they are on facebook on their iphone, getting all upset when someone speaks a pro-American viewpoint by calling them brainwashed nationalist rednecks, etc..etc..
It is? I thought it was because some posters really like talking about the US in a forum meant to be a general World forum. There's been nearly as many posts boasting about the US, too.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,875,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You are Italian. don't tell US what WE experience.

I'm Italian, don't tell ME what MY FELLOWMEN think.
Your point enlightens the fact that all this "fear of being hated" comes from an utterly stupid fact.
Some teens "disrespect" you telling the same thing I read (Italians are lazy,stupid, mafia etc) and then EVERYONE hate you?
Are you insane?
Europe has the double of your population and you think our main concern is America?
Do you think that most people even give a cràp about the average American?
Yes, many people dislike many American policies as you dislike "communist" European countries and our "communist" welfare.
Do we whine about "cruel" Americans "hating us and telling us how to live"?
Are there some idiot telling that you are a "fat,stupid, god fanatic, gun lovers 'murican"? Sure there are and they are plain idiot, ignore them and go over, what's the point?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I'm Italian, don't tell ME what MY FELLOWMEN think.
Your point enlightens the fact that all this "fear of being hated" comes from an utterly stupid fact.
Some teens "disrespect" you telling the same thing I read (Italians are lazy,stupid, mafia etc) and then EVERYONE hate you?
Are you insane?
Europe has the double of your population and you think our main concern is America?
Do you think that most people even give a cràp about the average American?
Yes, many people dislike many American policies as you dislike "communist" European countries and our "communist" welfare.
Do we whine about "cruel" Americans "hating us and telling us how to live"?
Are there some idiot telling that you are a "fat,stupid, god fanatic, gun lovers 'murican"? Sure there are and they are plain idiot, ignore them and go over, what's the point?
Cool glad you agree, now we are just trying to understand their mindset and why they are in such large numbers.

and no i don't dislike European countries or any country. i'm actually pretty open-minded and cultured, more so than a lot of these hipsters who call themselves "cultured" and "open minded" even though they show high allegiance only to Western Europe and have a strong dislike towards anything American, British, Russian and Chinese.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It is? I thought it was because some posters really like talking about the US in a forum meant to be a general World forum. There's been nearly as many posts boasting about the US, too.
That to but just imagine a thousand drro's all on one website, that is basically Reddit, Linkdin, some Facebook pages (you can always tell the pages with a non-American admin).

City-Data is actually pretty moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.