Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,994,308 times

Advertisements

I'm an American and I don't hate the US, but a lot it sure depresses the hell out me. It appears to me that the bottom 50% to 60% of the population is just giving up. They are beginning to abandon any decorum of standards and basically seem not to care. They are grossly obese for the most part. I understand keeping an idea weight is a challenge for most of us, but my God most of these people give little effort and accept being 50 or 60 pounds over weight. It's really sad and the US is a health disaster in the making.

Young college grads with tats on their forearms and neck. Not to long ago only acceptable to the underclass, now young professionals marking themselves up like their part of a criminal gang or something. Many are to lazy to even purchase a pair on dress slacks and will wear jeans or shorts to weddings and funerals. Getting drunk at sporting events and cussing in front of families and thinking nothing of it. When confronted, it's your fault, your the jerk.

And that's the middle class. The lower class is completely out of control. Flash mobs where young people meet and beat up poor bystanders minding their own business. Baby mommies with 5 or 6 different kids by age 25, by 5 or 6 different men. Teenagers playing the sick twisted game of knockout. Nothing like running up to a 65 old old and punching them in the face and knocking them out and then videotaping it and thinking it is funny. Really disgusting. It's sad to live in a society like these. Wherever these feral youth live and hangout it creates a environment of existing in a lockdown society. Cameras and security everywhere, cops all over, nobody trusts anyone.

And I'll only touch on politics. A strategy of divide and conquer. Turn you against your neighbor. Hate anyone who doesn't believe in your political viewpoint. It's created a hostile divided nation. By design, I might add.

I'm 51 and I've seen first hand the moral and social decline. It is getting to the point where only the very educated are holding on to the social infrastructure which keeps this nation together, such as community organizations, religion, school sports and theatre and many many others. The bottom half is giving up on these and appear to be living for the day and lack any vision, except what's in it for me.

I'll pass on passing judgement on others nations, but I hope they don't follow our path. We are still a great nation, but what I see really depresses me.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 09-13-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
I'm an American and I don't hate the US, but a lot it sure depresses the hell out me. It appears to me that the bottom 50% to 60% of the population is just giving up. They are beginning to abandon any decorum of standards and basically seem not to care. They are grossly obese for the most part. I understand keeping an idea weight is a challenge for most of us, but my God most of these people give little effort and accept being 50 or 60 pounds over weight. It's really sad and the US is a health disaster in the making.
let's throw some objectivity in here a bit. Poor people usually have to by the least expensive food possible which generally tends to be the least healthy. Even if they aren't eating fast food which many don't, prepakcaged food with preservatives and good knows what is cheaper than fresh meats and vegetables. Likewise, artificial drinks are cheaper than real fruit juice.
Quote:
Young college grads with tats on their forearms and neck. Not to long ago only acceptable to the underclass, now young professionals marking themselves up like their part of a criminal gang or something. Many are to lazy to even purchase a pair on dress slacks and will wear jeans or shorts to weddings and funerals. Getting drunk at sporting events and cussing in front of families and thinking nothing of it. When confronted, it's your fault, your the jerk.
Some of this depends on the industry. The tech industry has always been very casual and as it continues to grow, you will see more of this. Tattoos are not an indication of class. That's a stereotype.
Quote:
And that's the middle class. The lower class is completely out of control. Flash mobs where young people meet and beat up poor bystanders minding their own business. Baby mommies with 5 or 6 different kids by age 25, by 5 or 6 different men. Teenagers playing the sick twisted game of knockout. Nothing like running up to a 65 old old and punching them in the face and knocking them out and then videotaping it and thinking it is funny. Really disgusting. It's sad to live in a society like these. Wherever these feral youth live and hangout it creates a environment of existing in a lockdown society. Cameras and security everywhere, cops all over, nobody trusts anyone.

And I'll only touch on politics. A strategy of divide and conquer. Turn you against your neighbor. Hate anyone who doesn't believe in your political viewpoint. It's created a hostile divided nation. By design, I might add.
I completely agree with you here.
Quote:
I'm 51 and I've seen first hand the moral and social decline. It is getting to the point where only the very educated are holding on to the social infrastructure which keeps this nation together, such as community organizations, religion, school sports and theatre and many many others. The bottom half is giving up on these and appear to be living for the day and lack any vision, except what's in it for me.
The very educated generally tend to be the least religious. Religion also doesn't bind people together unless everyone happens to be sharing the same religion. Otherwise, it tends to create rifts between people.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,994,308 times
htthttp://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/08/the-myth-of-the-godless-university/375950/

Had a problem with the link, but easy to find. The article clearly points out how higher educated people in the United States have kept religion strong. The article states how the higher the education the higher percent chance you'll be involved in organized religion. The idea of religion is to have a strong organization and it's civic impact on society.

Marriage is the strongest indicator of the educated class.

Marriage has become a thing for the educated professional class and is vanishing among the lower class. Same thing with children out of wedlock. Common among lower class, rare upon higher class.

We agree to disagree on tats. A sign of a downward culture, regardless of the Tech field.

As far as diets. We are responsible for your own wellbeing. They have to find a way to eat better and exercise. What else can we do. Education only goes so far, at some point an individual has to make a commitment.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 09-13-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 05:07 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,293,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I agree with everything you said BUT Europe has some of the same problems. The UK has a very large underclass of trashy, uneducated, ignorant people.

I spent some time in the Netherlands and Belgium and the teenagers there are just as lost as ours are. In some ways, it is worse in Europe because European teens have more access to alcohol and drugs IMO.

Nonetheless, there is a huge underclass of uneducated, overweight, trashy American people that most Europeans don't get to see because most tourists don't go where most of these people live.

I definitely recommend a road trip through the states of Kentucky and West Virginia if you want to see the America that most people don't know.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:54 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,340,635 times
I also wonder how much America hatred is due to the spread our popular culture, especially among older populations. The profane crass hip-hop music and the hyper-violent profane movies may be considered really crude in some cultures.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:11 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,417,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I also wonder how much America hatred is due to the spread our popular culture, especially among older populations. The profane crass hip-hop music and the hyper-violent profane movies may be considered really crude in some cultures.
Idk about hip hop but American pop music is very popular outside the country and Hollywood films are as well so i don't think they mind.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,520,840 times
I'm a little late to the party, but I think I can safely say, not everyone hates America. While the country may not be universally admired across the world, I have met plenty of people abroad who love to learn about the culture, people, etc.

There is a difference between the government of the United States and its citizens.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but I think I can safely say, not everyone hates America. While the country may not be universally admired across the world, I have met plenty of people abroad who love to learn about the culture, people, etc.

There is a difference between the government of the United States and its citizens.
Exactly. I am critical of certain aspects of the US since I know it better than any other country except my own. It doesn't translate into hating Americans. In fact I'm heading out to SoCal next month to visit friends.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 AM

985 posts, read 1,846,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I definitely recommend a road trip through the states of Kentucky and West Virginia if you want to see the America that most people don't know.
One of my road trips included Kentucky and West Virginia where it seemed like the majority lived in trailer homes, many signs of poverty, unemployment and dispair. The term "trash" should never be used for people though.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:33 AM

872 posts, read 1,381,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The very educated generally tend to be the least religious.
This is not so true nowadays, given the desecularisation of academia over the past two decades and the failure of intellectual movements such as scientific realism in the 1970s.

Polls will still show those with undergraduate level education inclined towards philosophies that favour a naturalist world view. Most will be unaware that these are discrete philosophies at all, regarding them to simply be truisms or "common sense". However, such philosophies are long outdated and don't reflect current academic trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.