Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I'm an American who hates America! It's not just foreigners.

In fact, if they knew what I know, they would hate us enough to bomb us off the face of the planet.
What do you know?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 85,064 times
I don't know how the rest of the world feels but i'm pretty sure that Argentine people doesn't hate USA-remember USA isn't America...America has a couple more countries

Anyway....if there are hard feelings towards your country (and i mean this generally speaking) it might be because USA always tend to act as global judges and takes part in each conflict whetever or not it directly affects their interests and they aren't exactly a role model.....

Old 09-24-2014, 10:43 AM

27,356 posts, read 28,426,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresBsAs View Post
Anyway....if there are hard feelings towards your country (and i mean this generally speaking) it might be because USA always tend to act as global judges and takes part in each conflict whetever or not it directly affects their interests and they aren't exactly a role model.....
America assumes a dominant role because it is the dominant nation right now. It won the battle for world hegemony a long time ago. Kind of sucks (in a way) for other nations, but that's just how it goes.

Also, somebody has to do the dirty work and it might as well be America, given that no other nation is really up to the task. Look at the current situation in Syria as just one example.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,880,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
America assumes a dominant role because it is the dominant nation right now. It won the battle for world hegemony a long time ago. Kind of sucks (in a way) for other nations, but that's just how it goes.

Also, somebody has to do the dirty work and it might as well be America, given that no other nation is really up to the task. Look at the current situation in Syria as just one example.
Situation largely created by the US themselves.
The whole problem here is that nobody hates American people (let alone some idiotic people) but many criticise American policy around the globe and the history of it and with reason.
If you label anyone who dares to criticise American government as "anti-American", then you have many Anti-American people.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 PM

915 posts, read 1,496,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Surprisingly - I'd say Canada/U.S relations have kind of soured since Obama has taken office.. The Keystone pipeline delays and an unwillingness to take cross border trade improvement issues seriously on the U.S side (according to the Canadian gvt anyway) ie delayed funding for a Customs Plaza on the U.S side for a New Detroit/Windsor Bridge.. Our leaders don't exactly get along on environmental issues to say the least. I'd say our current PM was secretly hoping that Romney would have gotten in back in 2012.
Most of the problem is the Michigan legislature and the Tea Party crowd. A lot of them worship at the altar of the free market and are okay w/things the way they are. (I'm assuming that you know that the Ambassador Bridge is owned by a private individual - that's one of the big wrinkles right there.... A lot of folks in the legislature are okay taking his company's PAC/donation money and voting no on building a new bridge.)

And they don't want to take any money from the Canadians either - even if it is a loan and will be paid back through tolls. Our governor and National Reps are on board w/the project. There are a lot of people on the US side that "get it" and understand the benefits of the new Windsor/Detroit bridge.

Apologies if this point has already been made. After spending nearly 2 hours at the Port Huron/Sarnia border in July, I'm all for another border crossing in the area. It's so much easier getting into Canada than it is getting back into the US.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,294,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Situation largely created by the US themselves.
The whole problem here is that nobody hates American people (let alone some idiotic people) but many criticise American policy around the globe and the history of it and with reason.
If you label anyone who dares to criticise American government as "anti-American", then you have many Anti-American people.
Yep. I have been called anti American more times than I can count because I criticize US policy and to some degree, society as well.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:48 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,959,615 times
That is rather strange, yet people are critical on the foreign policies of America here in Australia, yet at the same time most people still and always had an fondness of America and its people.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,369,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Most of the problem is the Michigan legislature and the Tea Party crowd. A lot of them worship at the altar of the free market and are okay w/things the way they are. (I'm assuming that you know that the Ambassador Bridge is owned by a private individual - that's one of the big wrinkles right there.... A lot of folks in the legislature are okay taking his company's PAC/donation money and voting no on building a new bridge.)

And they don't want to take any money from the Canadians either - even if it is a loan and will be paid back through tolls. Our governor and National Reps are on board w/the project. There are a lot of people on the US side that "get it" and understand the benefits of the new Windsor/Detroit bridge.

Apologies if this point has already been made. After spending nearly 2 hours at the Port Huron/Sarnia border in July, I'm all for another border crossing in the area. It's so much easier getting into Canada than it is getting back into the US.

^^^^^ I can not wait for this bridge to be built. And it will. Pretty sure Canada can get away with annexing Delray without anyone caring too much. lol

Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM

14,818 posts, read 11,930,800 times
People don't 'hate America', I think people dislike (some) Americans because they are so far up their own a*se you can only see their feet.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 AM

13,524 posts, read 4,832,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Russia surprised by the actions of the United States. For example, when you bomb Syria without a UN resolution. But I would not say that we hate. "Hate" is too strong a word in the Russian language. More suitable words "irritation". But this does not apply to ordinary people, everyone understands that it is the policy.
I think that sentiment goes both ways - Americans don't hate Russia or Russians, but we are very concerned about Putin's attempts to re-assimilate parts of the Ukraine. So here are two examples - Syria and the Ukraine - where half of the world is angry with the US for what it's doing, and the other half is angry because we're not doing enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.