Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM

7,712 posts, read 12,570,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Americans aren't really that big into religion as you people want us to be... religion has been on a decline for awhile now... and those who are religious don't really take it that seriously.
And you would know that because you're religious?

Stop trying to speak for Americans. You don't represent me or my beliefs. Religion is as strong as it's ever been. Staying on this forum with other like-minded folks will have you thinking differently. But it has no basis in reality. Faith based movies have been grossing the top of the movie charts for the past 5 years, the Bible is one of the most downloaded and popular apps on social media, the Bible miniseries was one of the most successful and highly acclaimed series on network television, mega churches are thriving, churches are still popping up and being created all over the country and globe, missions trips are still going strong, religious programming is still as popular as ever, and the list goes on.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,097,932 times
One thing I hate is that no matter where I travel, the USA's influence has crept in and taken over. I travel abroad to escape and see other cultures, yet Amurrica's fat bloated face is everywhere, at the expense of the countries' own cultures. :/

* except when I go to the most rural and remote areas, which I tend to prefer doing, unless I'm tied down by a travel companion who wants us to stay on the beaten path.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:13 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Really? How about creationism or Christian fundamentalism in general?

When American creationists start beheading people on the town square, get back with me.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When American creationists start beheading people on the town square, get back with me.
Come on Kathryn, you're better than that.

Defending your own country's degrading of science classes by having creationism taught in some schools as a science shouldn't be accepted JUST because somewhere there is a more radical and violent group.

Otherwise what's the point of having standards?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 AM

659 posts, read 937,730 times
I hate America for their horrible work-life balance, substandard quality of lfe (it's all materialistic -.-), crappy education, crappy laws, crappy ENFORCEMENT of said laws, the corruptions, undermining of values.... seriously I'd rather learn more about our efforts to help the environment than the Kardashians! Horrible medical system, horrible retirement plans, horrible plans OVERALL to help their own citizens, cities, counties, etc.

Everything else about America is superb. But the great food, atmosphere, scenery, climates, friendly people, cultures, etc. is not enough to get me to stay here. My husband is planning to join the Navy for the ability to travel, I plan to get my EU citizenship paperwork done beforehand, so when he goes abroad, I stay with him. He'll be a career-enlist, planning to stay all of 20 years in there until retirement. Meanwhile I'll rack up job experience abroad.

Only time we'll come back to America? When we're both retiring of old age, visiting family, and on vacations.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 PM

659 posts, read 937,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I attended American public schools through 12th grade, the School of Engineering at Iowa State University and the education I received there was very demanding, crazy stressful at times and I literally had classmates from all over the world, including a crap load of Chinese and Indian students who paid big money to go there.

I am sure people who went to similar non-Ivy universities like Purdue, Illinois, and Georgia Tech which happens to be the #1 school in the world in my area of Engineering would say, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Just because SOME universities are good, doesn't mean that overall America's education is good. The majority of schools in America just plain suck. Asia has a better education system than America, Europe even has a better education system than America. Most Europeans and Asians know a multitude of languages, different histories from other cultures, have a far better understanding of mathematics and sciences, and so on than America though.

Have you ever met an American that is NOT an immigrant or is 1st/2nd generation Americans.... that know more than two languages? I have yet to meet an American that can speak more than two languages fluently.... unless they went to school to learn the language so they can become an interpreter.

Heck, Singapore Math for example is so much better than this BS called Common Core

Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Defending your own country's degrading of science classes by having creationism taught in some schools as a science shouldn't be accepted JUST because somewhere there is a more radical and violent group.

Totally agree. The mere fact that the two are compared is a total abomination.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,318,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

What does this have to do with it? The point is that creationists don't go around campaigning jihads calling for the execution of infidels.

Last edited by Hightower72; 10-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Brought ontopic

Old 10-04-2014, 01:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,287,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Really? How about creationism or Christian fundamentalism in general?
Ah, just credit our Puritan forefathers for that one!

Old 10-04-2014, 02:32 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Common descent is no more a science than creationism, and I've been in the academic/scientific sphere for most of my adult life. The point is that creationists don't go around campaigning jihads calling for the execution of infidels.
Seriously? You're are not following well founded scientific principles if you think creationism is on the same footing as evolution.

Just because you claim to be in the " sphere " of something, doesn't make you an expert.

My point is that it is a cop out, to accept something of poor quality JUST because there is someone or someplace that has an even poorer quality.

What creationists and the people who execute in the name of religion have in common is trying to force that religion onto people.

Creationism is NOT science. It's not even up for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.