Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 03:45 PM

878 posts, read 1,379,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Seriously? You're are not following well founded scientific principles if you think creationism is on the same footing as evolution.

Just because you claim to be in the " sphere " of something, doesn't make you an expert.

My point is that it is a cop out, to accept something of poor quality JUST because there is someone or someplace that has an even poorer quality.

What creationists and the people who execute in the name of religion have in common is trying to force that religion onto people.

Creationism is NOT science. It's not even up for debate.
Be careful not to conflate the doctrine of Common Descent (a troubled abductive thesis that is currently being revised) with the rest of evolutionary biology (genomics, proteomics, natural selection, population genetics, phenotypic plasticity, epigenetics, evo-devo; which are based on inductive science). Christian Special Creation contradicts the former, but is congruous with the latter.

This is off-topic anyway, and further discussion should be diverted to philosophy of science or religion.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 10-04-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,387,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I guess that's why there are so many howling on P&OC how religeous people shouldn't be forced to serve gays.
And how evil abortion is because God creates life.
Most politics posters are a unique bunch.
they for sure aren't a representative of a whole country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And you would know that because you're religious?

Stop trying to speak for Americans. You don't represent me or my beliefs. Religion is as strong as it's ever been. Staying on this forum with other like-minded folks will have you thinking differently. But it has no basis in reality. Faith based movies have been grossing the top of the movie charts for the past 5 years, the Bible is one of the most downloaded and popular apps on social media, the Bible miniseries was one of the most successful and highly acclaimed series on network television, mega churches are thriving, churches are still popping up and being created all over the country and globe, missions trips are still going strong, religious programming is still as popular as ever, and the list goes on.
Just going on about my personal life i don't see as many christian fundamentalists and radicals.

I see an occasional billboard when you get way south of town and as you said some movies and tv show here and there... but i don't really see that as a radical thing.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,357,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Be careful not to conflate the doctrine of Common Descent (a troubled abductive thesis that is currently being revised) with the rest of evolutionary biology (genomics, proteomics, natural selection, population genetics, phenotypic plasticity, epigenetics, evo-devo; which are based on inductive science). Christian Special Creation contradicts the former, but is congruous with the latter.

This is off-topic anyway, and further discussion should be diverted to philosophy of science or religion.
Thanks. To be honest I wasn't totally familiar with the term Common Descent and my quick Google seemed to equate it with evolution. I am going to investigate further.

Stupid of me not to have done that, before posting.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:43 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Come on Kathryn, you're better than that.

Defending your own country's degrading of science classes by having creationism taught in some schools as a science shouldn't be accepted JUST because somewhere there is a more radical and violent group.

Otherwise what's the point of having standards?
Come on, Natnasci, you're better than that. I didn't defend anyone, not even creationists.

That being said, now that you bring it up, I DO think that if anyone hates America because some schools teach creationism alongside science - well, that seems a rather extreme reaction.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
What does this have to do with it? The point is that creationists don't go around campaigning jihads calling for the execution of infidels.
I guess some people are a bit better at connecting the dots than others. Like I said, "hating America because some schools allow creationism to be taught alongside science" seems a bit extreme.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,892,710 times
The hate for America is so damn thick you could cut it with a knife!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:36 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,206,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Come on, Natnasci, you're better than that. I didn't defend anyone, not even creationists.

That being said, now that you bring it up, I DO think that if anyone hates America because some schools teach creationism alongside science - well, that seems a rather extreme reaction.
True, that's not a reason to hate America. Its a reason to pity American and feel sorry for its children.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
True, that's not a reason to hate America. Its a reason to pity American and feel sorry for its children.
You're free to expend your emotional energy any way you like. But if it makes you feel any better, my kids and grandkids are doing GREAT.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,357,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I am not saying Creationsim is a reason to hate America. My issue is with your dismissal of it not being an issue, since other religious groups are beheading people.

You did say

"When American creationists start beheading people on the town square, get back with me."

in response to post #514, where " archineer " was pointing out religious extremism in the US.

The response was mitigating religious extremism in the US as benign and harmless. Other will disagree.

In the US there exists a particular type of evangelical Christian of a variety that is rarer in other countries since they involve themselves in politics and blur the line between church and state.

Even in your own state.

Tough Texas abortion law may head to Supreme Court

As for interfering outside of the US, we have cases like this.

"Critics of the legislation say it is not homosexuality that has been imported from the West, but homophobia. Roger Ross Williams, the director of God Loves Uganda, a documentary about the influence of conservative US Christians in the East African nation, said, “The anti-homosexuality bill would never have come about without the involvement of American fundamentalist evangelicals.”

How Uganda was seduced by anti-gay conservative evangelicals - Africa - World - The Independent

Getting back to your statement, it seems to be promoting the point that religious extremism is fine since they aren't chopping off heads so no one should worry about it and that US religious extremism doesn't affect the outside world. Wrong.

I should add, that this isn't a reason to hate America, but it is a reason to watch it closely.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:30 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,546,148 times
Quote:
Come on Kathryn, you're better than that.

Defending your own country's degrading of science classes by having creationism taught in some schools as a science shouldn't be accepted JUST because somewhere there is a more radical and violent group.

Otherwise what's the point of having standards?
That's funny. American parochial and home schooled schools have been teaching creationism in the classroom for generations and have never had an issue with graduation rates or grades. Almost 99% of students at parochial and home schools graduate high school within the top 10 percentile of their peers nationwide and go on to attend top universities as well. This is why your statement and you yourself have absolutely no credibility. Facts trump bloated opinions and bias everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World