Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,387,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My answer to you was not in regards to creationism, but in correcting your falsely held belief that US students are doing fine, when clearly, they are below many other countries.

46 percent of Americans believe in creationism as opposed to evolution. Way above other industrialized nations. Why do we care?

When a superpower has nearly have of it's citizens believing in the sky god theory of creation OVER science, it proves a serious lack of critical thinking.
Critical thinking is extremely important in a population of a superpower.

Oh. My response was in regards to creationism, considering that is the topic we are talking about.

Believing Creationism over Evolution seems a little minor to me, its just someones little personal belief.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,357,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Oh. My response was in regards to creationism, considering that is the topic we are talking about.

Believing Creationism over Evolution seems a little minor to me, its just someones little personal belief.
LOL iNviNciBle3, around and around these threads do go.

In most case I agree, but when it is being pushed into a PUBLIC school curriculum, the line between the separation of church and state gets very hazy indeed.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
My answer to you was not in regards to creationism, but in correcting your falsely held belief that US students are doing fine, when clearly, they are below many other countries.

46 percent of Americans believe in creationism as opposed to evolution. Way above other industrialized nations. Why do we care?
Not in this part of the country, probably no different than Canada down here.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publie.htm

Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,387,903 times
Quote:
LOL iNviNciBle3, around and around these threads do go.

In most case I agree, but when it is being pushed into a PUBLIC school curriculum, the line between the separation of church and state gets very hazy indeed.
I can understand your opinion.

It does seem unfair to me to only teach one over the other, however i believe most states schools aren't big into favoring creationism over evolutionism. i only know two states Louisiana and Mississippi that allows teachers and students to discuss evidence that is critical of the theory of evolution, and i personally don't find it that extreme.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It does seem unfair to me to only teach one over the other, however i believe most states schools aren't big into favoring creationism over evolutionism. i only know two states Louisiana and Mississippi that allows teachers and students to discuss evidence that is critical of the theory of evolution, and i personally don't find it that extreme.
I don't think so. There's little debate over evolution in say, a biology department. A biology class should teach science as best as it's known. What should be done is rather than just repeat facts, explain why scientists thin evolution is correct (and then yes, any scientific debates that are there), what it explains, etc.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM

3,394 posts, read 5,506,118 times
Leave it for a religion class, if there is one. 'Creationism' is just a thinly veiled excuse for religion anyways, which should remain as far away from the natural science classes as possible in this century.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:41 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,357,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not in this part of the country, probably no different than Canada down here.

Beliefs of the U.S. public about evolution and creation
22 percent of Canadians actually believe in Creationism.

Creationism can not be taught in Science class. Even in Catholic schools, it is taught in Religious studies.

It is different in Canada.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:00 AM

6,423 posts, read 7,206,383 times
Its fine to teach creationism so long as its in a religion class, not a science class. We were taught all kinds of creation myths in religious studies but we were taught science in science classes (although my religious biology teacher did try and hint that he thought it was wrong)

Anyway its hopefully just a minority that are taught in as science in America. I've talked to American teens are many of them had an amazing wealth of scientific knowledge so I don't think all the schools are doing bad, they were all atheists though, the religious teens I talked to were less...knowledgeable.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:46 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,308,867 times
Quote:
Creationism can not be taught in Science class. Even in Catholic schools, it is taught in Religious studies.
Having attended one of these, even our Jesuit Rel. Ed. teachers told us that it's just one hell of a story and has to be interpreted accordingly

Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 AM

10,652 posts, read 15,922,940 times
I love the USA (minus the gun laws and religious views by many) more than my own country so how can the OP say everyone hates it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World