Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
I was just talking about this w/ a friend the other day..
His theory is that we're such a young country, yet we have so much power,
that it's natural for the other countries to wanna see us fail.

My thoughts are more along Ron Paul's, though.
We have no business messing w/ other countries, acting as if we are the rulers of the world.
We wouldn't have so many enemies if this damned government minded its own own business.
Eh, but it's too late.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I was just talking about this w/ a friend the other day..
His theory is that we're such a young country, yet we have so much power,
that it's natural for the other countries to wanna see us fail.

My thoughts are more along Ron Paul's, though.
We have no business messing w/ other countries, acting as if we are the rulers of the world.
We wouldn't have so many enemies if this damned government minded its own own business
Eh, but it's too late.
^^^This

Old 10-06-2014, 01:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Oh lighten up, it was a joke.

So you go around continually asking people what if any their faith is? Personally I don't, but I can say that in my circle of family and friends most I would peg as agnostic.
It's called basic social discourse.

Very important in any financial undertaking where counterparty risk is involved. You get to know people, what makes them tick, if they have family, who their associates are, how good their references are and so on.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post

Very important in any financial undertaking where counterparty risk is involved. You get to know people, what makes them tick, if they have family, who their associates are, how good their references are and so on.
That's very different than in Canada. We usually never speak about religion or a persons beliefs if they aren't family or close friends.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
^^^This
I think a lot of Americans are simply unaware of the meddling the US does in other countries affairs.
This story is particular galling.

"The banks, and former federal finance minister Jim Flaherty complained bitterly to the U.S. about FATCA in an effort to obtain an exception for Canada — but to no avail.

The U.S. is threatening a 30 per cent withholding tax against any financial institution deemed “non-compliant,” under FATCA. The Canadian government said that “could have significant negative impacts on the Canadian economy.”

FATCA tax deal forces Canadian banks to send info to IRS - Politics - CBC News

Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
That's very different than in Canada. We usually never speak about religion or a persons beliefs if they aren't family or close friends.
Depends on the person. Usually you don't bring it up directly. You ask careful probing questions that would give you some idea of their beliefs.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:

Its a little abnormal, but i personally wouldn't be offended by it. not that big of a deal really.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Depends on the person. Usually you don't bring it up directly. You ask careful probing questions that would give you some idea of their beliefs.
I think most people would figure out what you are trying to find. Most here I think would be very wary of someone asking too many questions.

The bigger question for me is, why?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
I think a lot of Americans are simply unaware of the meddling the US does in other countries affairs.
This story is particular galling.

"The banks, and former federal finance minister Jim Flaherty complained bitterly to the U.S. about FATCA in an effort to obtain an exception for Canada — but to no avail.

The U.S. is threatening a 30 per cent withholding tax against any financial institution deemed “non-compliant,” under FATCA. The Canadian government said that “could have significant negative impacts on the Canadian economy.”

FATCA tax deal forces Canadian banks to send info to IRS - Politics - CBC News
Quote:
Financial institutions in Canada will be required to ask all new and existing clients opening a new account questions such as where they were born, and possibly where their parents were born.

Those who indicate they have a connection to the U.S. will have their files sent to the Canada Revenue Agency — which will automatically pass them along to the IRS.
This is just way too intrusive. the IRS is perhaps the number one most hated agency in this country.
Quote:
Canadian citizens who decline to answer the new set of questions could have their personal banking information passed along to Uncle Sam to determine if they are a “U.S. person.” Or, the bank could refuse to open an account for those who refuse to answer the questions.

All U.S. citizens and “resident aliens” (green card holders) are required to file U.S. taxes every year — regardless of where they live. Eritrea is the only other country in the world with a similar law.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think most people would figure out what you are trying to find. Most here I think would be very wary of someone asking too many questions.

The bigger question for me is, why?
Minimizing counterparty risk is important in any large business undertaking. How obvious it all is really depends on how socially adept you are, though to some degree people accept it as a formality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World