Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm sorry you're having trouble connecting the dots. As I said before, this isn't my first encounter with people like that.
"If we want anything in Canada, we'll just come up and take it"
"Hell, if we want Canada, we'll just take it."
"We're not worried about running out of fresh water. Canada has plenty. We'll just take it. Who's going to stop us? Your Salvation Army?"

And inevitably, the same people want us to kiss their rings because their military is "protecting us."
I have lived in the US for 42 of my 52 years on this earth and have honestly never, not one time, ever heard an American say anything even remotely like this.

Apparently we run in very different circles.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have lived in the US for 42 of my 52 years on this earth and have honestly never, not one time, ever heard an American say anything even remotely like this.

Apparently we run in very different circles.
Apparently you don't ever do very much reading on the Canada forum here on C-D, because if you did you wouldn't say that.

That kind of stuff does happen a lot, usually coming from people who are poorly educated, and it's become a standing joke amongst so many of us Canadians who have been dealing with that kind of abuse and threats for many decades. It's happened numerous times on the Canada forum here and I've seen plenty of it on other forums and in the comments sections of media articles as well during my past 10 years participating on internet. I've had people say things like that and worse to my face during the past 60 years and they actually believe it's true because they're just ignorant and it's what they've been told by other ignorant people so they take it at face value without questioning it.

But .... meh ..... it's really not important because first of all it doesn't come from all Americans, and secondly people who say stuff like that are just demonstrating their ignorance due to poor education, or bigotry, or because of their personal insecurities about their own significance. Thankfully, they are not representative of all Americans. More often than not those folks are bound and determined they're going to believe what they want to believe anyway even when it's proven false and there's not much anyone else can do about that kind of dogmatic stubborness.

So I think there's not much point in Canadians granting them any credibility or getting in a snit about it and it's probably better to just not engage with them if they get arguesome. I honestly feel more pity and disappointment for them than anger. Granted, some of them are just being jerks on purpose but in most cases I think maybe it's not entirely their faults if they're ignorant and haven't been properly educated about other countries and least of all about their closest neighbour and biggest trading partner. But still, it's their problem and they are America's problem, not mine or Canada's problem.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-19-2014 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 AM

125 posts, read 163,436 times
Most of the antipathy between Canada and the US comes from the north. The idea that weltzshmerz has a rant at the ready for the one insular American who posted to this thread speaks volumes. The response is excessive. There were more angry reactionaries than there are people singled out to justify their bigotry.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Apparently you don't ever do very much reading on the Canada forum here on C-D, because if you did you wouldn't say that.

That kind of stuff does happen a lot, usually coming from people who are poorly educated, and it's become a standing joke amongst so many of us Canadians who have been dealing with that kind of abuse and threats for many decades. It's happened numerous times on the Canada forum here and I've seen plenty of it on other forums and in the comments sections of media articles as well during my past 10 years participating on internet. I've had people say things like that and worse to my face during the past 60 years and they actually believe it's true because they're just ignorant and it's what they've been told by other ignorant people so they take it at face value without questioning it.

But .... meh ..... it's really not important because first of all it doesn't come from all Americans, and secondly people who say stuff like that are just demonstrating their ignorance due to poor education, or bigotry, or because of their personal insecurities about their own significance. Thankfully, they are not representative of all Americans. More often than not those folks are bound and determined they're going to believe what they want to believe anyway even when it's proven false and there's not much anyone else can do about that kind of dogmatic stubborness.

So I think there's not much point in Canadians granting them any credibility or getting in a snit about it and it's probably better to just not engage with them if they get arguesome. I honestly feel more pity and disappointment for them than anger. Granted, some of them are just being jerks on purpose but in most cases I think maybe it's not entirely their faults if they're ignorant and haven't been properly educated about other countries and least of all about their closest neighbour and biggest trading partner. But still, it's their problem and they are America's problem, not mine or Canada's problem.

You're right - I don't read the Canada forum - nor do I base my opinions of different countries on the comments by people on this forum, or any other forum. I know that what I read on internet forums is often not indicative of how people are "in real life."

I do have an opinion on the attitudes of some Canadians - based on my real life interactions with them, but since I derive no pleasure from deriding and ridiculing whole countries of people, I'll keep that opinion to myself. Surely the Canadians I've met in person don't represent the entirety of the country. I'm sure Canada is beautiful and most of the people are normal enough - just like the United States and it's people.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're right - I don't read the Canada forum - nor do I base my opinions of different countries on the comments by people on this forum, or any other forum. I know that what I read on internet forums is often not indicative of how people are "in real life."

I do have an opinion on the attitudes of some Canadians - based on my real life interactions with them, but since I derive no pleasure from deriding and ridiculing whole countries of people, I'll keep that opinion to myself. Surely the Canadians I've met in person don't represent the entirety of the country. I'm sure Canada is beautiful and most of the people are normal enough - just like the United States and it's people.
Re: the bolded part, I agree with you about that and it doesn't only apply to forums, it applies to everything on internet now. I've noticed that since the invention and ease of availability of internet to the public has happened that many people who used to live in a fantasy in their heads only, and whom others rarely heard from, have now taken their fantasies online en masse and now internet is swamped with people like that. The only way to know if somebody online is telling the truth about something is if you can see it for yourself, or if their story is corroborated by several other impartial people who know the facts and have nothing to lose by telling the truth. Even many in the media these days have proven they can't be relied on when talking about other countries, they've taken yellow journalism and turned it into bright flashing neon yellow. It's sometimes hard to tell what is real anymore.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
stealing oil from middle east countries
worshiping people just because they're black
fat feminist women
can't handle 1 ebola case
think english is the best language
really like england

^ some of the reasons.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
stealing oil from middle east countries
worshiping people just because they're black
fat feminist women
can't handle 1 ebola case
think english is the best language
really like england

^ some of the reasons.

Well, those are all very good reasons.

lol

Old 10-19-2014, 04:56 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
It's jealousy for the Europeans. The Arabs have a legit beef with us because we have supported Israel. Asians don't hate USA for the most part. S. Americans don't hate us but they are partly jealous and think we are overly materialistic.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 PM

125 posts, read 163,436 times
I think that you can substitute "annoyed with ubiquity of American culture" for "jealous".

Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Who the **** can be jealous of American culture - the type the country exports???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World