Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 09:26 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,393,485 times

Advertisements

Whatever the answer is I'm forever thankful to be who I am and to belong to the United States of America.

I loved visiting Europe and was fortunate to have the opportunity twice. The second time for over four months.

Last edited by Rubi3; 11-07-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM

27,334 posts, read 28,403,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
I really think that there is a big inferiority complex in Europe that makes people have this oneway competition with the USA.
That's really sad if that's the case, because the funny thing is that most Americans LOVE to visit Europe.

A standard way of creating a little bit of envy among people here is to tell them that you're going on a European vacation. It gets people's attentions for sure.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,220,119 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro4 View Post
Like every other country on Earth, America has it's fair share of problems. The reason why "everyone hates America" (which is debatable) is not only a reflection of the US government's questionable decisions that affect other countries, but that the average Joe is simply too blind to see that America is not the greatest country on earth. Unpatriotic? No. Realistic.
It also has a lot to do with how these people in other nations feel about their countries. I have seen polls that show that people from Europe have low levels of national pride compared to Americans. This is not a good place to be coming from when you are criticizing American patriotism.

Quote:
There are many countries that do things better than we do, and many that do things worse. But anybody who finishes the phrase "I'm from America" with "greatest country in the world." has likely never left the country and has no clue about what the rest of the world can (and does) do better than us. If you were to ask someone with an illness that needed expensive treatment, would they value America as the greatest country in the world when so many others offer affordable healthcare? How about all the supposed freedom we have - is every other country a dystopia? Wake up. We're not the only ones that have freedom.
I have been to many countries and still believe that America is the all-around winner. The quality of life is certainly high in other nations but this is a recent phenomenon. It's been fewer than 70 years since Europe saw the end of the most violent and bloody 20 year period Earth has ever known and that's the longest stretch of peace the continent has experienced in.. oh.. about 3,000 years. The reason that such a prolonged period of peace and prosperity has even been possible is because of the security and largesse along with the example of a free and equal democratic society the US provided to post war Europe.

Quote:
It's relative to what an individual perceives as what makes a country so great. Now, I've lived in various countries around the world and the most shocking thing I learnt is that America's version of history is often vastly different to everybody else's. In other countries they learn about both sides of history, the good and the bad, yet we're taught our version - America's version -
And you came to this ridiculous conclusion after taking history classes in all those nations that you have lived in?

Stop lying please. It's unbecoming.

Quote:
You want to know why people hate us? It's because the majority of us are ignorant, arrogant about our achievements, dismissive to other countries, insulated, and overly-defensive against anybody who dares to say a bad thing about America.
I'll agree with the insulated part, it's the benefit of having fish as neighbors to our east and west.

I wonder if all of your family and friends know that you think that they are ignorant and arrogant.

Quote:
If we want to change anybody's mind about America then we need to start educating ourselves. If we want to be respected by the rest of the world, we can't just act like it's owed to us... we gotta ****ing earn it.

Rant over.
And I'm sure that you think that, with this stupid rant, you have ****ing earned it.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,477,358 times
Quote:
If we want to change anybody's mind about America then we need to start educating ourselves. If we want to be respected by the rest of the world, we can't just act like it's owed to us... we gotta ****ing earn it.
I believe this is true about every nation, tribe, and tongue, and each individual too. Respect can't be demanded, it has to be commanded/earned.

Mahrie.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,879,275 times
One question to which nobody has answered yet: where on Earth are these examples of "hate" of "Europeans" towards Americans?
Because of what you found written by some retarded presumed European person?
Where does this irrational fear that so many American users here have of "being hated"?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I believe this is true about every nation, tribe, and tongue, and each individual too. Respect can't be demanded, it has to be commanded/earned.

Mahrie.
Or we could just bomb the sh-t out of you.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,781,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Whoa! That's the broadest brushstroke I've seen in a while! Good grief! People are just people in every country on Earth, and there are wonderful people, as well as ar$eholes (unfortunately), in all of them.

Mahrie.
Definitely. In every country I've been, I've met far more cool people than unbearable people, so I have a hard time tolerating any nonsense I hear about any specific country being populated by bad or horrible people.

Even taking my own nationality out of the equation, I see more lobbed at citizens of the US than anywhere else in the world, which is probably a side effect of it being basically center stage in the world... but, it gets really old.

A couple weeks ago, I was at a friend's birthday party here in GZ and he had a coworker who was a Chinese gal and Anglophile. She asked where I was from.

"England!"
"Nope."
"Canada!"
"Nope."
"Australia!"
"Nope."
"Ireland?"
"Nope."
"...Sweden?"
"Nope."
"America?"
"Yep!"
"... EW."
"Why, 'ew?'"
"America is just so... ew."
"Have you ever been there?"
"No, but, I..."
"But you...?"
"I work with a lot of English and Candians, and they are so gentleman."
"Do you work with any Americans?"
"No."
"Do you know any Americans?"
"No..."
"Well, thank you for making the most childish and ignorant comment I've heard in the last few months, and following it up with the stupidest answer I've heard on top of it."
"... oh, I'm sorry, I just... uh..."
"Yeah, you just, 'ew.' Have a good night."

I've bumped into her a couple more times and she is visibly awkward. People just seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable to say the same sort of things about America or Americans that would get you shouted down as an ignorant xenophobe if you said the same things about any other country on earth.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Or we could just bomb the sh-t out of you.
Now there's the attitude that people hate - if they're prone to hatred, that is.

Humility earns respect - arrogance does not.

Mahrie.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,781,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
One question to which nobody has answered yet: where on Earth are these examples of "hate" of "Europeans" towards Americans?
Because of what you found written by some retarded presumed European person?
Where does this irrational fear that so many American users here have of "being hated"?
If I were to make a totally unscientific guess of hate-to-"whatever" ratio of Europeans towards America, I'd say that there's maybe like a 1-100. Which is probably better than what I've encountered in regards to Americans' view toward America

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If I were to make a totally unscientific guess of hate-to-"whatever" ratio of Europeans towards America, I'd say that there's maybe like a 1-100. Which is probably better than what I've encountered in regards to Americans' view toward America
My own experience would tend to validate this^^^^^^^!

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World