Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We really ARE taught that we're the greatest from a young age. It's drilled into us. How often did you hear the phrase "greatest country in the world" growing up? I heard it in every class and I still hear it all the time. If we're supposed to believe it's the greatest, then we should be taught WHY it's (apparently) the greatest, not THAT it's the greatest because that just perpetuates the ignorance that (I believe) puts our nation in a bad light.
Of course we're taught that. A lot of it is subtle. Just look at how we're taught about WWII for one example. It's as if we hadn't got involved, there would have been no liberation and everyone would be speaking German. the speaking German thing is ignorant because many places in Europe we know today have been ruled by various other empires in Europe who spoke a different language and yet, those now independent nations still speak their own language. the other part about this WWII belief system is that it completely disregards the many many lives lost from other nations who also participated in liberating Europe.
Quote:
The difference between America and a lot of other countries (or at least the ones I've visited) is that everyone seems so much more grounded. My friends abroad know their country's strengths and achievements, but they can also freely admit their faults. We don't seem to do that so much here. It's almost like we live in a bubble where this land is the greener grass just because somebody said so. We could make America the greatest country in the world, but we're not going to get there by simply believing it already is with no evidence to support the claim.
I agree with this completely, especially the bold and I have said this before as well. Until we can admit our faults, we will not improve and I too want more. What tends to happen though, is many Americans will use the argument, "Well we're not perfect but we're better than..." While that may be true, it also avoids taking responsibility for our short-comings so we're simply willing to accept mediocrity. This is a very different mentality than the USA of the past when we had the attitude that good wasn't good enough. Thing is, it's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,478,010 times
I'd like to bring up a point that I know is festering in many Europeans. Growing up in post-war Scotland, England, Germany, France, and a few other allied countries (Air Force brat), I learned that it doesn't sit well with them that the U.S. took so long to come to their aid during WWII. After all, the British and Americans were allies. Canada was involved in the war long before the States was. Perhaps this shouldn't mean anything now, but apparently it still does, and Europeans still talk about it.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Mahrie.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:52 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,907,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I'd like to bring up a point that I know is festering in many Europeans. Growing up in post-war Scotland, England, Germany, France, and a few other allied countries (Air Force brat), I learned that it doesn't sit well with them that the U.S. took so long to come to their aid during WWII. After all, the British and Americans were allies. Canada was involved in the war long before the States was. Perhaps this shouldn't mean anything now, but apparently it still does, and Europeans still talk about it.

Mahrie.
We don't blame you for that. We know the US got involved in WW2 because of self preservation. First, the US wanted to retaliate for getting beaten at Pearl Harbor. Second, technologically superior Germany and communist Russia were both seen as huge threats to the US and neither of those could be allowed to take over Europe and get too powerful so the US had to get involved for its own interest. You are right that if they wanted to have saved European lives, they would have intervened sooner.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:57 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,478,010 times
drro: I'm not American, I'm Scottish!

Mahrie.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

Mahrie.
At that time, the USA did not want to be involved in a war. Far cry from today but it wasn't until Pearl harbor was bombed that we entered. However, it was this event that led to a change in foreign policy in the US. the logic used is we sat back and did nothing about the Nazi's and what was going on in Europe or Asia in general as it did not concern us. After that, any regime that was perceived as a future threat was dealt with Preemptively; first communist ones and later, Islamic terrorist ones. This is what is largely responsible for the way the US behaves today. There are now other reasons but in those situations, "stopping rogue regimes" is still the reason given. Then 9/11 happened so don't expect this to change any time soon.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:21 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
This thread is still going? !

Well I'll add another bit since I just got back from a trip through Washington, Oregon and California.

I had a great time and I will reiterate that everyone does not hate Americans and I met some really great people and even made a new friend.

Do people get frustrated with some Americans? Yes, I did bump into " everything is superior in America " a couple of times.
I just calmly explain a different viewpoint...depending on the subject and if I'm feeling like the person is reasonable.

The one that sticks out this trip, was a guy around 50 or so, who was talking about work etc. He stated that in the US had the strongest labour laws in the world. Huh? In a country where you can still fire someone for being gay in 29 states?
With no guaranteed vacation federally, and no law regarding mandatory severance, no paid maternity leave etc, etc.

I was polite,but told him that I just couldn't let him get away with that misinformation.

Was it a big deal? No, just annoying because of the assumed superiority.

HOWEVER, once again I'll point out that it NOT just an American thing. I've bumped into this attitude in several European countries as well.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The one that sticks out this trip, was a guy around 50 or so, who was talking about work etc. He stated that in the US had the strongest labour laws in the world. Huh? In a country where you can still fire someone for being gay in 29 states?
With no guaranteed vacation federally, and no law regarding mandatory severance, no paid maternity leave etc, etc.
Problem is, states do not have to follow federal law necessarily. There is a common misconception that they do. So the federal government can pass a law regarding mandatory severance or maternity leave but that doesn't mean it will be adopted. There are still three states with a minimum wage lower than the federal rate, Georgia, Wyoming and one other I can't remember. It will be up to the states to pass these laws. Massachusetts just passed a mandatory one week of sick leave law. So with things such as this, it isn't a American thing as much as it is a regional thing within the US.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,907,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Hilarious, I wonder if they are being fed this 'America is the best' propaganda in schools, through the media etc. because a lot of them are completely out of touch with reality and actually believe in the 'America is the best' nonsense.

Quote:
HOWEVER, once again I'll point out that it NOT just an American thing. I've bumped into this attitude in several European countries as well.
The French are full of it too. Arrogant and pretending to be the best at everything while failing very hard at everything. They are like a little USA over here in Europe. I see a lot of other similarities between the French and the Americans too like their incapability of building halfway reliable cars.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:48 PM

125 posts, read 162,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I believe the first part, don't know anything about the second.You can't respond to the subject matter of a post so you attack the person for simply not sharing your beliefs. Every single thing in your responses has been going after the person for having their own opinion rather than disputing the opinion itself. Now let me ask you, how does this prove whatever point you're trying to make?
You seem to be OK with personal attacks against people who don't support your positions.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
You seem to be OK with personal attacks against people who don't support your positions.
When I'm not trying to prove anything yes I am. However the person I was addressing was attempting to dispute what was said but went about it all wrong.

Now I could have made this personal with you as well but then my above explanation would have been lost. Do you see the difference yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.