Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 02:58 PM

125 posts, read 162,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I'd like to bring up a point that I know is festering in many Europeans. Growing up in post-war Scotland, England, Germany, France, and a few other allied countries (Air Force brat), I learned that it doesn't sit well with them that the U.S. took so long to come to their aid during WWII. After all, the British and Americans were allies. Canada was involved in the war long before the States was. Perhaps this shouldn't mean anything now, but apparently it still does, and Europeans still talk about it.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Mahrie.
People who have this opinion have an axe to grind. Nobody entered WWII out of anything but necessity or perceived necessity.

This is an opinion I hear as an American living in Australia. I ask why the Aussies weren't involved in the war in the pacific when the Japanese invaded Manchuria if the good fight was the only motivation.

I also think that this puts the lie to the idea that "we're the best" attitude is a uniquely American phenomenon. The ex-US anglosphere believes that their countries are the US's moral and often cultural superiors. The perception about entry into WWII is a prime example.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:06 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,409,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Problem is, states do not have to follow federal law necessarily. There is a common misconception that they do. So the federal government can pass a law regarding mandatory severance or maternity leave but that doesn't mean it will be adopted. There are still three states with a minimum wage lower than the federal rate, Georgia, Wyoming and one other I can't remember. It will be up to the states to pass these laws. Massachusetts just passed a mandatory one week of sick leave law. So with things such as this, it isn't a American thing as much as it is a regional thing within the US.
Which is the point. Stating that all of your country is one way is not only showing ignorance of other countries, but of their own.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Hilarious, I wonder if they are being fed this 'America is the best' propaganda in schools, through the media etc. because a lot of them are completely out of touch with reality and actually believe in the 'America is the best' nonsense.

The French are full of it too. Arrogant and pretending to be the best at everything while failing very hard at everything. They are like a little USA over here in Europe. I see a lot of other similarities between the French and the Americans too like their incapability of building halfway reliable cars.
I suspect mostly media and sometimes it's very subtle and not every American buys into it.

Ah the French...I find it to be generational in France. People under a certain age who have travelled seem much more balanced..then again that's true of every country.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,477,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
At that time, the USA did not want to be involved in a war. Far cry from today but it wasn't until Pearl harbor was bombed that we entered. However, it was this event that led to a change in foreign policy in the US. the logic used is we sat back and did nothing about the Nazi's and what was going on in Europe or Asia in general as it did not concern us. After that, any regime that was perceived as a future threat was dealt with Preemptively; first communist ones and later, Islamic terrorist ones. This is what is largely responsible for the way the US behaves today. There are now other reasons but in those situations, "stopping rogue regimes" is still the reason given. Then 9/11 happened so don't expect this to change any time soon.
Thank you, Gentoo! D'you know that in all the years I've been witness to this complaint, no one has ever explained the thinking behind it to me before? Your paragraph makes sense out of a lot of other things for me too. I can't thank you enough!

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,413,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Hilarious, I wonder if they are being fed this 'America is the best' propaganda in schools, through the media etc. because a lot of them are completely out of touch with reality and actually believe in the 'America is the best' nonsense.

The French are full of it too. Arrogant and pretending to be the best at everything while failing very hard at everything. They are like a little USA over here in Europe. I see a lot of other similarities between the French and the Americans too like their incapability of building halfway reliable cars.
No, we develop this 'America is the best' attitude just simply by living and experiencing life here in the good ol' USA. We don't need propaganda to tell us we are the best.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No, we develop this 'America is the best' attitude just simply by living and experiencing life here in the good ol' USA. We don't need propaganda to tell us we are the best.
Now Vincie...don't stir the pot

Old 11-08-2014, 05:31 PM

The truth needs to be spoken.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,395,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In before the responses start to get bellicose over this one! He does this occasionally in a lighthearted, but perhaps misguided attempt at humour.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
In before the responses start to get bellicose over this one! He does this occasionally in a lighthearted, but perhaps misguided attempt at humour.
USA is a pretty awesome country though you have to admit... just the country, like basically what you see on Google Earth.
Not saying our culture, history, people, government, social services and healthcare is better.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:37 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,477,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's nothing wrong with thinking that the place you've chosen to live in, or perhaps the home you hail from is 'The Best.' Hell, I think Glasgow's the best on so many levels, but I wouldn't go back there to live if I were begged to! There will always be a part of my heart that loves the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World