Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Which is the point. Stating that all of your country is one way is not only showing ignorance of other countries, but of their own.
America is a collection of countries together United, I have seen enough of it to realise that. It is pretty much impossible to say that, that country has one culture.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No, we develop this 'America is the best' attitude just simply by living and experiencing life here in the good ol' USA. We don't need propaganda to tell us we are the best.
Minnesota or ND certainly aren't the best anyway.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
USA is a pretty awesome country though you have to admit... just the country, like basically what you see on Google Earth.
Not saying our culture, history, people, government, social services and healthcare is better.
Everyone thinks that about their country. Trust me. Most of the time (like you) they have not ventured far and have no spur of what the real world is like.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
This thread is still going? !

Well I'll add another bit since I just got back from a trip through Washington, Oregon and California.

I had a great time and I will reiterate that everyone does not hate Americans and I met some really great people and even made a new friend.

Do people get frustrated with some Americans? Yes, I did bump into " everything is superior in America " a couple of times.
I just calmly explain a different viewpoint...depending on the subject and if I'm feeling like the person is reasonable.

The one that sticks out this trip, was a guy around 50 or so, who was talking about work etc. He stated that in the US had the strongest labour laws in the world. Huh? In a country where you can still fire someone for being gay in 29 states?
With no guaranteed vacation federally, and no law regarding mandatory severance, no paid maternity leave etc, etc.

I was polite,but told him that I just couldn't let him get away with that misinformation.

Was it a big deal? No, just annoying because of the assumed superiority.

HOWEVER, once again I'll point out that it NOT just an American thing. I've bumped into this attitude in several European countries as well.
Really! You can fire someone because they are gay!! Oh my god that is so third world. That country has some changes to make.

Goodness me. What a trainwreck. I find with those people you just have to let them ramble on, in the past I have went against them but usually its ended up in an almighty row or better, me being ignored.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
America is a collection of countries together United, I have seen enough of it to realise that. It is pretty much impossible to say that, that country has one culture.
You find that to a degree in most large countries. People in Newfoundland have a different culture than that of Quebec and that of Vancouver etc.

China is varied as well, but you can still say that those countries do have a culture that binds them in some way.

The same is true of the US. You do find a common thread of culture across the whole land.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
You seem to be OK with personal attacks against people who don't support your positions.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro4 View Post
You've obviously not seen this kind of behaviour whilst abroad, which is quite astonishing and if I'm honest, a little relieving. My rant was not based on this though. My rant was based on the general ignorance of many people in our country, that was just one example of it based on the experiences I've had - and I'm clearly not the only one who has witnessed this behaviour if people are on board with what I'm saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad (and little envious) that you've not had to witness this situation, but I have on more occasions than I would have liked, and that's probably why we have different views.

We really ARE taught that we're the greatest from a young age. It's drilled into us. How often did you hear the phrase "greatest country in the world" growing up? I heard it in every class and I still hear it all the time. If we're supposed to believe it's the greatest, then we should be taught WHY it's (apparently) the greatest, not THAT it's the greatest because that just perpetuates the ignorance that (I believe) puts our nation in a bad light.

The difference between America and a lot of other countries (or at least the ones I've visited) is that everyone seems so much more grounded. My friends abroad know their country's strengths and achievements, but they can also freely admit their faults. We don't seem to do that so much here. It's almost like we live in a bubble where this land is the greener grass just because somebody said so. We could make America the greatest country in the world, but we're not going to get there by simply believing it already is with no evidence to support the claim.

Finally, I apologize for my outbursts toward you and Jerz. I got personal and that is not usually how I conduct myself. It came in the heat of the moment and I am sorry for saying some of the things that I said. I know we don't agree on a lot of things, but I truly just want more for America. I want it to be part of the world, not apart from it.

P.S. Thank you Gentoo, Mahrie, drro, Greysholic and pBobcat for backing up points that I've been struggling to get across.
Take heart Camaro4; I'm going to suggest something I would not normally offer up from my Canadian perspective having witnessed all that your rant detailed. I have witnessed it from many other countries citizens as well, including Canadians, and would only caution you to apply a tad of adjustment to your perception by factoring in the embarrassment factor. You are more sensitive to this behaviour emanating from Americans due to personal reasons.

Americans in the number of 350 million cannot be expected to have no "less than tactful" members whatsoever and it would just stand to reason there will be more of them visible with so many more of them travelling now than ever before in history.

A counterpoint would be offered here that as a former world traveller and now a frequent guest of the U.S. on a yearly basis for up to 6 months at a time, I have come to love the people for their generosity and welcoming demeanour.

The stuff you might find odd that I find endearing is the simple stuff like the statement of "you're fine" when I excuse myself in a store for having to pass someone in a narrow aisle. You will not hear that particular method of acknowledgment of having to excuse yourself anywhere else in the English speaking world.

The fact is; most of us "furinners" are quite adept at discerning the good from the bad and when it comes to the U.S. of A. there are far more good than bad Americans who will readily castigate the bad faster than anyone else can imagine.

I've been present when another American has publicly and effectively taken a compatriot to task for a misdemeanour in behaviour towards anyone else.

Again; take heart and focus more on the good folks from your country and ignore the occasional buffoonery as that is certainly not unique to Americans.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You find that to a degree in most large countries. People in Newfoundland have a different culture than that of Quebec and that of Vancouver etc.

China is varied as well, but you can still say that those countries do have a culture that binds them in some way.

The same is true of the US. You do find a common thread of culture across the whole land.
Yes of course but because of the melting pot culture there, I feel like the USA is less like Canada and China in the sense that they don't have a unified culture/people.

Its quite obvious especially when you compare like Florida to Minnesota.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Everyone thinks that about their country. Trust me. Most of the time (like you) they have not ventured far and have no spur of what the real world is like.
What is the real world like? how many countries out their are as amazing as America?

With world cities like NYC, LA, SF, Chicago and D.C... party cities like Miami and Vegas... scenery like the Grand Canyon, Florida Keys, Smokey Mountains, Yosemite.
Can't forget to mention, Hollywood and Disneyworld.

We are for sure an outlier when it comes to developed nations... i think only China comes close.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
USA is a pretty awesome country though you have to admit... just the country, like basically what you see on Google Earth.
Not saying our culture, history, people, government, social services and healthcare is better.
Vince; you're selling yourself short here. Not only is your country awesome as seen through the roving eyeball of GoogleEarth but also your culture, history, and especially the people as seen up close and personal.

Let's agree to leave government, social services and healthcare off the table for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World