Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yes thats why the Canadians want to hold onto it.

Toronto used to be in the same region as Chicago and other American cities, it is right beside USA (literally) and has more similarities in climate, landscape and culture to American cities than other Canadian cities like Yellowknife, St johns or Winnipeg.
Well it has more in similar to climate with Buffalo and Minneapolis than other U.S cities - otherwise not too much.. Both Montreal and Toronto are know as one thing in the winter.... COLD.. I don't know what you mean by used to be in the same region as Chicago.... Toronto is where it has been since its founding waaaay back in the 1700's.

Culturally there are U.S influences but they are really no more or no less than other Canadian cities.. The only reason you get more is because of its size.. So any new corporate U.S expansion into Canada will probably involve Toronto because of its catchment its about money - has nothing to do with a special relationship lol.. As a matter of fact, Starbucks is more popular in Vancouver than Tim Horton's - Timmy's in Toronto though is KING for instance. Toronto is firmly Canadian and is embedded as part of the Canadian Psyche.. Remember, the Hockey Hall of Fame - Biggest Hockey city in the world, Muchmusic all here sooo noooo.. People in St Johns and Winnipeg refer to the Big city as Toronto..

Are you an American spy trying to determine what the social climate is like in Toronto prior to a hostile takeover or something lol... As a Torontonian born and raised and living here - i'm telling you it won't be easy and like my post a few back - the 1812 explosion well you ain't seen nothing yet if you try that nonsense again in 2014 lemme tell ya lol...

Actually speaking of Buffalo - did you know 30 percent of the passenger traffic out of Buffalo International Airport is from the Greater Toronto Area... If any entity is taking over another it would be Toronto annexing Buffalo...

Last edited by fusion2; 11-09-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 05:08 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,195,664 times
Is that right? My cousins are from there and they never ever say that and they visit Edmonton more than Toronto - which is REALLY different. I have flown from Winnipeg to Toronto and its a 2 hour flight..

Anyway I can see where you are coming from but what i'm saying is that it is so close to the USA (upstate NYC and Michigan) that its pretty much impossible to say that it has no influence from that country. The border areas of that country around the great lakes region would have more in common with each other than anywhere else.

Its like NI, border areas of ROI have more in common with us than with ROI itself. Its the way it is, I didn't notice much difference to ND accents and the southern Manitoba accents, intact they were the exact same. Canada just comes across as a copycat version of America, the only differences I noticed was the money and the road signs.

Canadians have a deep deep jealously to America which comes out as rivalry. My cousins are forever running the USA down but deep down we both know which is the better country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinc...(1763–91)

Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Canadians have a deep deep jealously to America which comes out as rivalry. My cousins are forever running the USA down but deep down we both know which is the better country.
Province of Quebec (1763
Ah and the shoe drops lol... Trying to create division where none exists and taking a page out of the divide and conquer philosophy.. Keep stirring the pot hun - its amusing..

lord don't I have something better to do on a sunday morning at 726 am.....

Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Well i'm not an American, it was just something I noticed with the Canadians constantly bitching about America.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Well i'm not an American, it was just something I noticed with the Canadians constantly bitching about America.
No - what you see as bitching is just a way for a smaller country in terms of population with similar history to its bigger brother differentiating itself.. That dynamic is a natural by-product... It is not rooted in malevolence or jealousy...Aside from that and on these forums and occasional discussions - the U.S isn't really on the minds of most Canadians in day to day life. I hardly ever talk to family/friends/coworkers about the U.S..

Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 AM

Maybe not you but my cousins talk about it all the time and they head down there for six months of the year.

11,223 posts, read 16,369,819 times
Everyone ******* about America, Owen. The only difference is we're brothers. We're going to fight and have our disagreements, and things we don't like about each other over here. But we always love more about each other than have issue with, and will stand up for each other against all threats. At the end of the day, we have the same roots, and as a result, mostly the same traditions. Not because we're a "copy cat". We have the greatest partnership, and most powerful bond in the history of the world.

1,267 posts, read 1,241,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why? Jealousy. The middle class in America enjoys probably the BEST standard of living of any country in the world. As for the rich, they can live an elite and high profile life in any country, money can buy you anything.
God not this again, it's all getting a bit ridiculous. Once again - NOBODY IS JEALOUS OF AMERICA!

Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,369,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No - what you see as bitching is just a way for a smaller country in terms of population with similar history to its bigger brother differentiating itself.. That dynamic is a natural byproduct... There is nothing malevolent about it...Aside from that and on these forums and occasional discussions - the U.S isn't really on the minds of most Canadians in day to day life. I hardly ever talk to family/friends/coworkers about the U.S..

I can see America right now, and it most definitely does not come up in conversation with ANYONE I know, unless we're going to a hockey game or concert. Period.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I can see America right now, and it most definitely does not come up in conversation unless we're going to a hockey game or concert. Period.
Yes you literally do lol... i'm sorry which Period is over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.