Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,196,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't get your logic... I'm pretty sure you listen to American music, watch American TV shows and watch American movies... Does this mean that the UK or any other country that heavily consumes American 'culture' should be required to justify its separation from the U.S? Again I think you can find all the answers on your own if you think about it logically. Aside from that, if you are that interested in what actually does separate Canada from the U.S or any other nation for that matter - why don't you visit us and see and experience it for yourself..

If you need an example or two - many Torontonians go to the Symphony and listen to performances from Composers the world over and more so foreign than domestic but this doesn't mean that because we listen to more foreign performances than domestic that we aren't separate from Italy, Russia, France etc.. It also doesn't mean that I don't engage in Canadian performances or watch locally produced Canadian theatre at the Tarragon theatre...
I am just back from america lol. Really the differences are regional rather than national..

Old 11-09-2014, 06:32 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Government, sometimes political views, some minor cultural things and other small stuff.

I've seen you complain about the Irish, but I'd bet nobody but the people from NI and Ireland could tell the difference between the two of you.
Well they can't tell the difference between england and wales either

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,342,526 times
Great Mr.Ignorant is back knew it wouldn't last.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Indeed. I think this thread should have been closed after Camaro's excellent post a few pages back considering nobody has made a convincing argument against him.
Apparently I have to share the love before I can rep you again, but I just wanted to say thank you.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 AM

27,358 posts, read 28,432,865 times
One thing people should realize is that a large percentage of Americans don't even like all of America.

Many people on the coasts, for example, tend to dislike the middle of the country. People in middle America tend to be a little resentful of people who live on the coasts. Southerners often don't like northerners, their lifestyles and attitudes. Northerners think that southerners are too conservative and backwards, etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yea you can say whatever you like but i'm entitled to my opinion and I feel as though Toronto would be better off joining America.
I can't imagine anyone in Toronto supporting such an idea. Canadians do not want to be Americans.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Why would someone in Northern Ireland be so opinionated about where Canada's largest city should be located? Its actually puzzling.. The Greater Toronto area represents almost a quarter of the GDP of Canada - all of Canada's major bank HQ's are in the city and it is the cultural epicentre of English Canada and the media capital of English Canada as well.. Historically it was capital of Upper Canada (Montreal Lower Canada) so why exactly should Toronto be a part of the U.S when historically it has been and is integrally so integrally a part of present day ?
Exactly. Toronto IS Canada. Canada would be a very different place without that city. It would be like New York City joining Canada. Both cities are representative of their respective countries.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
. If any entity is taking over another it would be Toronto annexing Buffalo...
...and you're welcome to it.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Is that right? My cousins are from there and they never ever say that and they visit Edmonton more than Toronto - which is REALLY different. I have flown from Winnipeg to Toronto and its a 2 hour flight..

Anyway I can see where you are coming from but what i'm saying is that it is so close to the USA (upstate NYC and Michigan) that its pretty much impossible to say that it has no influence from that country. The border areas of that country around the great lakes region would have more in common with each other than anywhere else.

Its like NI, border areas of ROI have more in common with us than with ROI itself. Its the way it is, I didn't notice much difference to ND accents and the southern Manitoba accents, intact they were the exact same. Canada just comes across as a copycat version of America, the only differences I noticed was the money and the road signs.

Canadians have a deep deep jealously to America which comes out as rivalry. My cousins are forever running the USA down but deep down we both know which is the better country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinc...bec_(1763–91)
Toronto isn't as connected to the US as you may believe. One way you can see that is in the language. Most places along the US/Canadian border speak pretty much the same dialect and accent. People in northern Minnesota sound like people from southern Manitoba. This isn't the case with Toronto. In those nearby US cities there is something called the Northern Cities Vowel Shift which is a very distinct dialect of American English. Torontoans do not sound like that at all which suggest that the contact isn't very strong. In fact, Torontoans sound very much like Californians.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Well i'm not an American, it was just something I noticed with the Canadians constantly bitching about America.
That's just what neighboring countries do. Canadians talk about the US, we talk about them as well as Mexico and Mexicans talk about the US. All three countries however have a love and respect for one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.