Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,277,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I had a Somali Flatmate my god Somalis tend to be the following..

-Sexist or hold sexist views
-Strong scent
-Loud and very insular people

I'm trying not to sound xenophobic but Somalis really grate on me.
They can be a loud bunch for sure and are somewhat insular. Not completely where I am as many of them have adopted Black American ways, at least as far as speaking (though not true of all). I will say that of all the African immigrants in the San Diego area they do seem to be the least assimilated although the younger generation a little more but still. I don't know, maybe I don't notice it as much because they are not the only group in the San Diego area that tends to be insular.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 AM

53 posts, read 83,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Really??? No one complains about them in San Diego. What are their complaints out there?
Extremely homophobic, which goes against Minnesota's mindset of being open minded and welcoming.

Known to pop babies just to live off of the system.

The areas in which they have settled have quickly turned into dangerous places where stabbings, robberies are the norm.

The average somali woman pops 12 babies because she can!

Radical Islam, I remember going downtown Minneapolis and seeing them protest because they wanted to use Sharia laws in the areas in which they lived.

Extremely closed minded and REFUSE to adapt to the local customs!

RACIST AGAINST AMERICAN-BLACKS, which is ridiculous

There is a HUGE difference between Somalis and Other African immigrants like the Ghanians for example who are industrious and adapt to America and study and educate their families.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
Extremely homophobic, which goes against Minnesota's mindset of being open minded and welcoming.

The areas in which they have settled have quickly turned into dangerous places where stabbings, robberies are the norm.

Radical Islam, I remember going downtown Minneapolis and seeing them protest because they wanted to use Sharia laws in the areas in which they lived.

There is a HUGE difference between Somalis and Other African immigrants like the Ghanians for example who are industrious and adapt to America and study and educate their families.
Wow! They are very different there. Most of the adult immigrants here largely keep to themselves as mentioned. Many of their kids assimilate more, especially into Black American culture and have even picked up a lot of the slang. Most of the ones raised here are still Muslim but they frequently don't take it as seriously as their parents. They practice but they are not in any way extreme. As far as having children, out here they tend to follow a no sex till marriage mentality for the most part. At least they aren't having children left and right. Wonder why the difference especially as many have relatives in both places?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
Quote:
Wow! They are very different there. Most of the adult immigrants here largely keep to themselves as mentioned. Many of their kids assimilate more, especially into Black American culture and have even picked up a lot of the slang. Most of the ones raised here are still Muslim but they frequently don't take it as seriously as their parents. They practice but they are not in any way extreme. As far as having children, out here they tend to follow a no sex till marriage mentality for the most part. At least they aren't having children left and right. Wonder why the difference especially as many have relatives in both places?
really the same as Minneapolis, maybe our racists are different?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
really the same as Minneapolis, maybe our racists are different?
Ah

Old 10-23-2014, 05:58 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,331,833 times
Quote:
They can be a loud bunch for sure and are somewhat insular. Not completely where I am as many of them have adopted Black American ways, at least as far as speaking (though not true of all). I will say that of all the African immigrants in the San Diego area they do seem to be the least assimilated although the younger generation a little more but still. I don't know, maybe I don't notice it as much because they are not the only group in the San Diego area that tends to be insular.
Somalis, wherever they go seem to create problems even Sweden.

As a group they are the most rude, insular, small minded backwards group I've ever came across in London. If is everyone knows it but they don't say anything because they're scared of being called racist..

Quote:

We have a large African/Caribbean community here and though Somalis are classified as "Black" like the west-Central Africans and Afro- caribbeans they are NOT like other "black" groups at all.

I thought West African languages sounded a bit hard on the ears but whatever them Somalis talk are like they're hacking cold from their chest!!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Somalis, wherever they go seem to create problems even Sweden.

As a group they are the most rude, insular, small minded backwards group I've ever came across in London. If is everyone knows it but they don't say anything because they're scared of being called racist..

We have a large African/Caribbean community here and though Somalis are classified as "Black" like the west-Central Africans and Afro- caribbeans they are NOT like other "black" groups at all.

I thought West African languages sounded a bit hard on the ears but whatever them Somalis talk are like they're hacking cold from their chest!!!!!
Well, they don't cause problems in San Diego and we have a good number of them. I agree agree with the way that language sounds though.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,404,759 times
Quote:
Ever noticed how rich folks "bring beautiful baby boys and girls to this world" while poor folks "Pop/s-h-i-t babies"

Old 10-31-2014, 04:00 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,772,132 times
I've known a number of Somali immigrants, and most of them were very hardworking, good people. There was one guy who was a real piece of work, but none of the other Somalis at the place we worked liked him; something to do with his involvement in the army back home...

Whenever you think of an immigrant group as being shiftless, lazy, negative, etc, I think it's good to think of all the non-immigrant folks you know who are the same way. People are people, for better or worse

Old 10-31-2014, 10:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,479,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Last time I went to Europe it took me several hours of standing in line in customs to get through. Lots of questions by a border guard who had absolutely no charm to his personality.

But if people want to boycott visiting the US due to a simple form and a $14 fee, I guess that's their choice. No great harm done either way.
Is this place you call "Europe" a country or something? I have never heard of "Europe" having a border control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World